Maine Dinner Release

Discussion in 'New England' started by HeyLady, Oct 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eb1610

eb1610 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Damn. Two releases in a row that I'm out of town for

YS1977 likes this.
  2. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Dinner is so worth it. Hopefully I can get myself a ticket, and I'm glad I won't have to get in line and freeze my tits off at 3AM this time around.

3. Jbrews

Jbrews Pooh-Bah (1,800) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

Worth it with no line, in February, for sure.

4. ransom22

ransom22 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan

The ticketing system is horrible.

MBC lost a valuable customer in me. They also immediately blocked me on their Instagram when I proposed an alternative solution to Dinner releases. No warning, just a straight BLOCK with the addition of deleting my lengthy post.

Disrespectful.

5. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Pundit (783) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

What's wrong with the ticketing system? It is imo the most fair way to do these things.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe and Jbrews like this.
  6. Jbrews

Pooh-Bah Society

If it was a good, respectful post and solution. They would not have deleted it since you have the answer. I don't think they will lose sleep losing you as a customer.

7. ransom22

ransom22 Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2016 Uzbekistan

Fair? You do realize this isn't like buying a Coachella ticket. Or going to a Phish concert, it's a beer release.

I happen to live 5 minutes away from MBC. I've been a strong supporting local of Dinner since the first ever release of it.

Now because of some online ticketing system, that many people buy bots for, I have to sit online during a business meeting and pray I get a ticket when I used to just roll out of bed on Saturday and wait in line?

They lost a local customer. It's become all about money now for them I guess, not to mention the additional $5 they charge for a piece of paper.

Wow, one of the rudest posts I've read from a poster I see around here too often.

I bet you'd feel the same if your beloved Tree House or Trillium blocked you, eh?

Glad to hear you support companies not giving an F about their local customers.

8. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Wow. Kind of an overreaction, maybe? They didn't block you, and anyone who bots a ticket is going to have to use it - they're very strict about making sure the name on your ID is the name on your ticket.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to roll out of bet at whenever the tickets go on sale, spend thirty seconds online, then go back to bed with a nice guaranteed case, rather than rolling out of bed at three in the morning and standing in line for several hours?

9. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

I've seen this debate many many times and I truly do understand your stance and feel the same way. I went through it with Kane A Night to End All Dawns.

But at the end of the day just because you are local and supported the brewery does not make you, me or anyone else more entitled to the product. This system doesn't just work better for the majority of people it also works better for the brewery.

ransom22 likes this.
  10. lic217

lic217 Pooh-Bah (2,066) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

2 things:

1) it's only beer
    2) you can please everyone sometimes, you can please some people all the time, but you cannot please everyone all the time.

strykerbill, jlordi12, JrGtr and 2 others like this.
  11. Sheppard

Sheppard Grand Pooh-Bah (3,282) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hey @OnlyTheFinest, what was your proposed solution? I see that they mentioned that they're undergoing construction and that they can't accommodate the lines that they've gotten for Dinner...

12. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Pundit (783) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Your "sitting online during a business meeting" is no more unreasonable a hassle than anyone who has work or families or any kind of responsibility and can't afford to line up at 4AM and wait 5 hours for 12 bottles of beer. First come first serve works to a point, and when stuff remains available for a whole day's operating hours, it's probably the best way to do it to keep everyone happy. But when it's Dinner and all the beer is accounted for 3 hours before opening, that eliminates many more people from having a chance to get it than making it an online ticketed release does. I agree it's a bummer when locals that supported a brewery in its infancy are no longer rewarded much for being local. But in this case, it seems a really necessary step to be most fair to their fanbase at large, which may not be limited to locals, but at least includes them.

13. Jbrews

Pooh-Bah Society

Why would I care if a company blocked me on social media....am I 12?

Also, this is the big persons world. Private companies can do business, as they please, when they please, and make as much money as they want. If they chose to ticket something for sale. Well then, I support that 100%. Who cares if anyone thinks it's all about the money. That's what a business is for. To make a profit. As a poster mentioned above, it's only beer. Not really something to get upset over. I'm done with this one.

14. rodmanfor3

rodmanfor3 Maven (1,338) Aug 11, 2014 Vermont
    Trader

A brewery that calls itself "Maine Beer Company" no longer takes care of its loyal Maine patrons...

What kind of monster is the craft beer world becoming?

15. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Zealot (730) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think a potential solution would be to have X cases for sale online like they do now but also have Y tickets available at the brewery to pick up in advance. It could possibly backfire and you would have a massive line at the brewery to pick up the tickets available there but if they did something like a Tuesday at 6pm it would probably be locals for the most part.

16. Davl22

Davl22 Maven (1,329) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

They have Dinner on draft for at least 2-3 days after the release. I doubt this is really about not being able to get a taste, and more about not getting your trade bait. As a local 5 minutes down the road you shouldn't be complaining.

17. cmurphycode

cmurphycode Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2010 Massachusetts

Ticketing has plusses and minuses, I can empathize with locals being put off. But I have to call out this: "It's become all about money now for them I guess, not to mention the additional $5 they charge for a piece of paper."

the $5 is donated to an environmental cause. Dinner has zero danger of not selling out. Therefore, they do not make a cent more money with this approach.

Maybe a nice compromise to support the locals would be to reserve 100 tickets that cannot be bought online, and must be bought in person at the brewery. They'd go on sale on a Saturday at the same time that Dinner used to be released. Then anyone who wants to "roll out of bed" at 3AM to wait in line can do that and grab a ticket. Since it's only 100 tickets, the line would be more manageable (i.e. less trouble caused).

kuntmissioner likes this.
  18. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

"This brewery is making a terrible decision by not releasing this beer in whatever fashion is most convenient to me, personally."

rightcoast7 and jhavs like this.
  19. xanok

xanok Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut

New England Brewing Co only takes care of CT. What about the other five states in New England?

jhavs and Lucoli like this.
  20. Sheppard

Sheppard Grand Pooh-Bah (3,282) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They said they couldn't accommodate the full line, but I wonder if they could accommodate that given their construction. I personally would try to take care of locals by reserving some of the online tickets to Maine addresses. I do feel that it's important that you're on good terms with locals so you have more goodwill and support during difficult licensing and building processes.

It's also just beer and it's just one release. They brew this on a schedule. It will be back. There's plenty of great beer out there that you can get between this release and the next if you miss out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.