Zima could make a MillerCoors comeback

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by dmtaylor, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomFoley

TomFoley Pundit (933) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

Why?!?

WHY?!?!

Dzman and eppCOS like this.
  2. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Pooh-Bah (1,786) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Because they can make money? No matter how crappy Zima is, people will buy it just for shits.

or the shits, whichever they please.

eLMsITYbUM and InsuranceGuy like this.
  3. surfcaster

surfcaster Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

One internet story reference an increase in the excise tax on wine from 0.17 to 1.07 /gallon in 1991 as one reason the "wine cooler" transitioned away from wine to "coolers." I could not find an article confirming that specific increase.

http://winefolly.com/update/wine-coolers-of-the-1980s/

Looks like trade mark for White Mountain cooler from the 1980s though was already a "malt beverage."

From the old unreliable memory banks, during the mid 90s Zima then all those competitors --Smirnoff ICE and Mikes Hard Lemonade seemed to market like you were getting "mixed drinks" in a bottle despite in USA, anyway, getting a "malt beverage." The marketing then really seemed to target the mid 20s crowd-esp women- but also remember it being a real problem with underage drinkers.

cjgiant, meefmoff and BBThunderbolt like this.
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The TTB's website has chronology of the Federal excise tax rates on alcoholic beverage - https://www.ttb.gov/tobacco/94a01_4.shtml
    Don't remember how that higher rate for "Artificially Carbonated" wine affected wine coolers (were they even carbonated beverages?)

Yeah, as I noted the Stroh product was always a "malt beverage" - as was Heileman's La Croix. Pretty sure none of the flavored "coolers" coming from brewing companies, including AB and Coors (I think they once had something called "Colorado Cooler" in test markets), in that era were ever wine-based.

Colorado CHILLER - Looks like it was in test markets at least, circa 1985.

#24 jesskidden, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  5. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Pooh-Bah (2,009) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

DRINK FRESH. DO NOT AGE!!!

cjgiant and ovaltine like this.
  6. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hopefully my Zima Zucks shirt still fits after all these years.

JISurfer likes this.
  7. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Zima's were popular in the early/mid 90's weren't they? I don't recall them in the 80's/high school days.

Now I do remember seeing many kiddies at HS parties back in late 80's with a 2 Liter bottle of Sun Country Wine Cooler. Mostly girls and this one guy we hung out with. Needless to say he got teased a lot for liking the sweet wine coolers.

meefmoff likes this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The article in the OP notes that Coors' Zima was released in the 1992-1994 period (from test market to national distro). The 1980s is when wine coolers followed by flavored malt-beverage "coolers" (like Zima) were first popularized.

9. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

We're swamped with hard sodas here , this would mix in and die I suppose. My wife likes the Mikes and the like for the beach and pool, Zima wouldn't be on the menu.

10. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

I'll pick up a 6 pack. The amazing thing is in high school I never had the money or foresight to plan ahead for jolly ranchers! That luxury will be mine. Might even drop a jolly rancher in the latest tropical IPA and do a side by side.

11. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Isn't this still popular in Japan? I think I read that somewhere. For me, it's a pass regardless.

distantmantra likes this.
  12. ecpho

ecpho Savant (1,159) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Still sold in Japan - I see it on almost every supermarket shelf and konbini. Not sure why - I'd rather have a chuhai can (shochu & soda).

Duckaduck likes this.
  13. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Maven (1,336) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Too young for Zima, but I don't think I'll be seeking this out.

I did like Clear Pepsi though, I thought that was great!

Amguerra305 likes this.
  14. anfield86

anfield86 Pooh-Bah (2,594) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I was gonna make some shitty joke about how they should bring back Tequiza but then I rememebered that Oculto exists, so I couldn't.

15. Duckaduck

Duckaduck Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2015 Japan

Yeah, I'd rather have a Strong Zero. Don't think I've ever seen someone drink a Zima here, though someone must since like you said, every convenience store has them.

16. meefmoff

meefmoff Pooh-Bah (1,848) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There was a store near us run by a sweet older Korean couple who did not realize that Sun Country was an alchoholic beverage (thanks to its 2 liter bottle delivery system). To say the least, this fact was taken advantage by a number of high schoolers, un-manly teasing be damned, in my area until they figured things out.

I have friends who still maintain an aversion to peach flavors due to that unfortunate summer...

17. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I couldn't touch Tropicana Pure Premium OJ (just this brand) for like 10 years after a very, very bad vodka/OJ screwdriver night (and whole next day) when I was in HS. I still don't touch vodka anymore and its been almost 30 years later.

meefmoff likes this.
  18. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I remember Zima from college. In particular, I remember being at parties where all they had was Zima and trying to put enough skittles or jolly ranchers in the bottle to make it drinkable. That shit was awful.

19. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Savant (1,125) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Everybody wants zome. I want zome too.

20. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Pooh-Bah (1,645) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Molson Ice will have some old school company on the shelves...maybe they can call Sharps over & drone on about the microbrewery days of old.:wink::rolling_eyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.