Looking forward to Ska's Autumnal Mole Stout

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by tacosandbeer, Sep 9, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Gonna grab some of this ASAP, too. I probably won't get to it until next week (with it being Oktoberfest weekend and all) but I don't want to miss out.

2. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2007 Colorado

It rolled out this week and all the stores should be getting it. I know Goodman has made allocations but seems to be pretty widespread. We loaded up with 15 cases. Next one wont be out until like December.

3. sir-knifes-alot

sir-knifes-alot Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Colorado

Just picked some up at Argonaut, I they just got it in and only one six pack left on the shelf so looks like it is going fast!

I may crack one open tonight...let you know how it is if I do

4. sir-knifes-alot

sir-knifes-alot Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Colorado

Well, decided to give one a try....and not impressed.

Very flat on the palate, warm spices forward with just a hint of coffee at the finish. Tastes like a very mediocre stout with pumpkin pie spices added. Curious to see what others think, as I'm regretting picking this one up

5. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Maven (1,332) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I had it on tap at FreshCraft, then cans showed up in my local spot that same night (and drank another last night from the can).
    I like it. I find it to closer to NB Cocoa Mole than CK Mexican chocolate. Not as sweet as mole, but it had a similar feel and taste. Not as hearty as I like my stouts, but there is enough going on for me to not mind as much as I normally would. I will say the flavors were a bit more pronounced on tap vs can.
    The CK MC is hotter with more chocolate and more viscous.

I'll stock up for myself and send some out to friends, most definitely

6. denver10

denver10 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society

Grabbed a sixer of it yesterday but haven't gotten to it just yet. As a fan of Cocoa Mole, I have no issues with this being compared to that. Hopefully I enjoy this as much as Cocoa Mole.

7. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Maven (1,332) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Personally, I do like Cocoa Mole better, but since bottles have disappeared, this is a respectable replacement.

8. denver10

Pooh-Bah Society

Opened my first can of this last night. Yeah, Cocoa Mole is definitely better but I still enjoyed this. The biggest detractor for me is that I think they were probably just a touch too heavy handed with the spices, whereas NB used more finesse/balance, but I definitely still enjoyed this.

And, FYI, there is still tons of Cocoa Mole hanging around here in Fort Collins. I probably enjoyed Automnal Mole enough to choose it and its six pack format over a bomber of Cocoa Mole, despite preferring Cocoa Mole.

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm with you guys on the cocoa mole bandwagon. However I did enjoy the little bit of heat that came on the backside of mole stout. I may need to come up to ft collins and grab some cocoa mole though. Any for sure bottle shops to hit and get some?

10. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Maven (1,426) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Trader

I actually prefer Ska's offering to NB's. Found NB's flavor profile more spicy cocoa than anything else. To each his own.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  11. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2011 Colorado

Agreed 100%.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  12. denver10

Pooh-Bah Society

Wilburs has had a consistent stockpile of it since I moved up here in August.

I haven't been to NB since August but they also had bottles of it then (plus on tap).

13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think NB CM would have been better if it had been launched as a stout.

Thanks. When I picked it up last time my wife was nursing so she didn't try it. Now the boy is weaned so I'm wanting to share it with her.

14. dachp

dachp Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2010 Colorado

I heard ska only made 3500 cases of this so I would get it while you can.

15. sliverX

sliverX Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2007 S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

Would love to get a can if anyone wants to work something out.

libbey likes this.
  16. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

How much are 6-packs going for? Do all the stores have it by now?

17. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Maven (1,426) Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Trader

About $10 and should be out everywhere by now.

18. HRCam

HRCam Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2008 Colorado

Went to go pick some up at Liquor Barn on Broadway last night (place has a surprisingly good selection) and they had already sold out of it. I was surprised it went so fast. Will have to try elsewhere today.

19. ncstateplaya

ncstateplaya Savant (1,233) Nov 8, 2008 North Carolina

I just picked up a sixer for 9.50 I believe. I have seen tons of it floating around in NC. Maybe everyone is waiting on the cooler weather before grabbing them off the shelves. I have yet to try it, but if it is as good as I hope, I will pick up a few more 6-packs next week.

20. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Grand Pooh-Bah (4,216) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We're out. Shouldn't be more coming in (like, ordered it...didn't show). Through CRGoodman so big stores get it first, then they trickle down what's left to the insignificant bugs like me :sunglasses:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.