Visiting Portland - Fall/Winter 2016-17 update

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Oct 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NedStarkravingmad

NedStarkravingmad Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2015 Washington

HOTD, as others have said, if you're eating at one of those spots. Bunk Sandwiches is also 3 blocks from Cascade, and I enjoy that spot.

2. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There's also a Bunk location one block from HOTD.

NWer likes this.
  3. NedStarkravingmad

NedStarkravingmad Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2015 Washington

TIL.

I've driven past there and not noticed it-- has it been open a long time and I've just had tunnel vision around there?

4. honkduh

honkduh Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

it's been there at least 5 years. It's probably their biggest location, they have shows there.
    [​IMG]

5. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's why this thread is so useful and helpful (even for locals). I've never been to Wayfinder, and had forgotten their outpost was even in the area.

vurt likes this.
  6. NWer

NWer Pooh-Bah (2,145) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

I was getting ready to recommend Bunk Bar Water when I saw this post. Might be just what you're looking for if you're already at HotD

7. elNopalero

elNopalero Grand Pooh-Bah (4,568) Oct 14, 2009 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I relied upon a previous iteration of this thread for my first trip to Portland and can't say how much it helped. Now that I'm preparing for a return visit to PDX I'm thankful for the updates and continual listings.

One question (of more to come, I'm sure!): has anyone ever participated in the Tuesday tapping at Cascade? Will showers of delicious beer rain down upon all present? I've dropped my "application" but as a solo traveler I don't know if it will go through without a partner... still, seems like a fun and unique experience!

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  8. John_M

Usually not (they've been doing this for a long time now, and have gotten pretty good at it), but I've been told it does happen. I've never seen it, but was told on one occasion that they have tapped kegs where sometimes beer will spew everywhere, including on patrons who might be sitting too close. They do warn everyone what to expect in advance, and what sort of risk is involved. However, I've never seen anyone get up to move to a safer location. :-)

9. bigstrunso

bigstrunso Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2017 California

There is a funny video of a mistapped keg. May even be on the Cascade website.

distantmantra likes this.
  10. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

I witnessed a tapping where the first strike got the tap part way in, but the second shot hit the tap holder's and caused them to recoil in pain and let go of the partially lodged tap. Beer went everywhere until Ron and Preston were able to step in and stop it.

NedStarkravingmad, NWer and sharpski like this.
  11. anteater

anteater Pooh-Bah (1,852) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anyone been to Loyal Legion lately? I love the taplist, the vibe and the pretzels but apparently they abandoned their no tipping policy... without lowering the beer prices and without advertising the change. Mildly infuriating.

12. John_M

Have not been, but I'm curious... How did you find out about the change in policy? Is there something posted in the pub or on the menu?

13. anteater

anteater Pooh-Bah (1,852) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

14. FFreak

FFreak Savant (1,065) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont

I'm flying into PDX this week and heading direct to Hood River. I want to stop in a bottle shop before I head to HR. Where's a good place to get good beer close to the airport, or on the road heading towards Hood River?

15. John_M

It's a little bit out of your way (but not by a lot), but I recommend Belmont Station. If you absolutely are opposed to the idea of having to double back on your way out to Hood River, I've heard good things about Cheap Charlies and the Hoppy Brewer in Gresham.

Have fun.

NWer likes this.
  16. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Belmont Station. I've stopped there multiple times coming from Seattle on the way to Hood River.

NWer likes this.
  17. dphi

dphi Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Any reason you don't want to just get beer in HR? Some good options there, and I think there's a decent bottle shop downtown.

NWer and BBThunderbolt like this.
  18. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (1,197) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

Actually, Alaskan Brewing does recapture CO2 and reuses it. I seem to recall them saying something about being the only brewery that doesn't purchase CO2..

19. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Several of the larger craft breweries have CO2 scrubbers, and reuse CO2. But those are the largest craft breweries, the technology doesn't scale down to small breweries yet.

20. bradoo7

bradoo7 Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Colorado

My wife and I did it over the holidays this year and we had very little spritz! Such a fun experience I'm sure you'll dig it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.