Getting beer delivered to NOLA

Discussion in 'South' started by Hallu, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hallu

Hallu Zealot (514) Feb 2, 2016 France

Hi,
    I'm heading off to New Orleans for a conference next week. I was thinking of buying a few bottles while there. Are there any good beerstores in New Orleans ? Or should I get beer delivered to my hotel (I know they can receive parcels, but I don't know about alcohol) ? Thanks in advance for your help.

BigRedDog likes this.
  2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,122) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Shaking my head laughing.... you're going to NOLA and you're going to drink in your room?

"Son, I say son, I think you're doing it wrong there." - Foghorn Leghorn

3. Hallu

Not drinking, bringing beer back with me to France in my luggage.

4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,122) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ah, in that case no, not in my experience. But you could pick up a few local beers. Of course I haven't visited in a few years and things have been changing quickly.

As for beer delivered to a hotel I don't think that should be an issue. Let the hotel staff know it's beer. It's NOLA, they shouldn't have any problem with it.

5. brewskifan55

brewskifan55 Initiate (0) May 17, 2011 Mississippi

Go by Stein's Deli on Magazine Street and the 504 Craft Beer Exchange on Tulane Avenue. Stein's has the best selection, but you need to go all the way to the back of the place, through the back door, take a right in the courtyard and look for the beer room. It's all warm, but there's cold beer in the restaurant, too. You can't drink it on site. The 504 is much bigger and a great place to hang out. They're very helpful in showing you what you might be looking for.

BigRedDog likes this.
  6. brewskifan55

brewskifan55 Initiate (0) May 17, 2011 Mississippi

Make sure you stop by the Avenue Pub, too. It's on the streetcar line in the lower Garden District. Many local/state beers to try in 4, 10 and 16 ounce sizes. Then go by Stein's and the 504 to buy what you enjoyed.

BigRedDog likes this.
  7. NolaHopHead

NolaHopHead Pooh-Bah (2,880) Mar 29, 2014 Louisiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Agree 100% with brewskifan55, check out 504 Craft Beer Reserve and Steins, best two shops in the city, can buy singles if anything and have great selections. 504 Craft also always has some great brews on tap (growlers). Sat March 18th is 1-yr anniv party at 504 Craft if you will still be around then.
    Beer selection has come a long ways in the past couple of years. You should easily find something you like.
    Also check out local brewpubs like Courtyard, Urban South, and Second Line.

8. Hallu

Thanks, will surely stop by those places =)

9. Crveballin

Crveballin Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2014 Maryland

Aside from 504/Steins is there any other place that does kegs? Have a group of 23 getting together for crawfish boil.

10. Hallu

I had a nice stay there. I've discovered some great local beers such as Envie, my favorite. I had both the regular version, and the double dry hopped version. I couldn't find any in Stein's or anywhere else to bring back though. Any idea where to find them ? A friend of mine is still there and might bring some. At Stein's I found a couple of nice stuff, like Clown Shoes, Prairie, or Urban South. It's a bit weird to have to go through the back though, looks like New Orleans isn't a beer city yet. As for a bar choice I couldn't go as far as the ones you suggested, we mostly stayed at World of Beer. It's not the best, but they have a good bottle selection and Holly Roller on tap.

I also had Great Raft Commotion on tap, and thought the 3.8/5 rating on BA was a bit unfair ? I really found it great. Very juicy.

donspublic and AndrewNations like this.
  11. NolaHopHead

NolaHopHead Pooh-Bah (2,880) Mar 29, 2014 Louisiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Glad u enjoyed your stay. All the DDH Envie bottles are gone but it should be easy to find regular Envie. 504 Craft always seems to have the freshest batch, but it can be found in most grocery stores such as Rouses, just have him check the bottle dates.
    Commotion is a little underrated in my opinion, very tasty brew. NOLA definitely isn't a beer city...yet, but the scene is starting to take off. Let us know when u come back and we'll give u the updates. Cheers!!

12. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Funny you say that about Commotion, had one when visiting my hometown in Louisiana (picked off the single rack) and thought something is wrong with that beer. Was really upset because I have liked everything else from that brewery. Had it on tap again a month later and it blew my socks off. Finally realized the beer I had before it was Guiness Nitro IPA and came to the conclusion that that beer was so bad (poured it out after drinking 1/4) it ruined my palate for the night. I went back and deleted my review of Commotion and another beer I had that night. I was lucky enough to be there on Cinco de Mayo last year where they had a cask of this with peppers and some other adjunct, it was epic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.