Coming soon to the LCBO

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Jerk_Store, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

my bad.
    9000 province, with half going to the GTA (my 4000ish number)

TheSevenDuffs and CanadianBacon like this.
  2. atomeyes

i will say one more thing, which posters will likely disagree with....
    KBS is overrated.
    it's a very good BA coffee stout, but i'm actually not sure it's worth $7/bottle.
    i picked up some of the Lagunitas limited-edition BA coffee stout when i was in the US. had one side by side with a 1 year old KBS. honestly? for half the price, the Lagunitas was almost as good, and that was without age.
    I also don't love fresh KBS. i find the coffee really overpowers the beer. but it may be batch specific.
    if given the option, i'd rather have a BCBS over KBS any day, esp a BCBS with 2 years' age (and no lacto infection).

that said, i'll likely grab half a dozen bottles. take some to belgium with me in the summer as gifts for friends.

also, for those looking to cellar KBS: Founders suggests drinking within a year of bottling date. i find that to be interesting. i dig them (as said above) with a bit more age. but it's not a beer i'd stash away for 3-5 years

yasky and Coronaeus like this.
  3. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Canada (ON)

I agree with most of what you said, but I am confused as to the point of your post?

Is KBS the best barrel aged stout out there? No.
    Is it the best value BA stout out there? No. (maybe the High Westified is)

But it is still a great BA stout that is probably one of the 5 best, if not 3 best beers to come to the LCBO in the last 5 years (Only A&T and VR come to mind that are clearly better).

As to your point about cellaring it, I couldn't agree more. It's amazing with age. In fact, I still have a few 2011 bottles and for me they drank exceptionally well in the 2-4 year age range. That being said, I guess the brewery suggests to drink fresh as both coffee and barrel notes tend to fade with age? Either way, I wouldn't be shy to age this for a few years.

4. KATCanada

KATCanada Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2013 Canada (ON)

as of today 5300 in stock "in warehouse" said my local insider. I assume this is the GTA warehouse but could be wrong as I don't know their disty setup. I have had my store order me in a case they seemed to think it would be in by Friday but we'll see. There are stores with orders in but none delivered yet. If anyone gets shut out PM me and I'll sort you out.
    Now I had a 2012 about 8 months ago and it was still great and I've had 13's and 14's this year that are also fine so I'd have ZERO problem aging this. I also have to admit I prefer this to regular BCBS and probably even BCBCS - but that's just me.

5. atomeyes

we've seen "interesting" beer behaviour from beergeeks before (mainly and inexplicably driven by a Josh Rubin story in the Star) where people go to the LCBO and hoard inventory.
    it's like my friend's buddy who went to Vermont, bought 3 or 4 cases of Heady and thought he's be able to unload them (with profit) to Toronto beer geeks. he didn't have any luck and had a lot of Heady to consume in a short amount of time.
    i expect similar behaviour with KBS. now, inventory's pretty f'ing huge, so not sure if hoarding will have much of a negative effect. but there are likely a good amount of posters on here who've never had KBS, read its BA rating and thought "I need to score a dozen of these!"
    i'm just suggesting that, while 2 different beasts, at this pricepoint and with how it tastes, you'd be better off spending your money on a mix of KBS and Old Rasputin instead of stocking up up up on KBS.

beerluvr and TheSevenDuffs like this.
  6. atomeyes

Anyways, today's the day. should be in some stores by tonight.

7. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)

That's no bueno... Heading to Montreal tonight and won't be back until Sunday evening :s

8. pirate99gs

pirate99gs Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Canada (QC)

I'm just annoyed they screwed up our or of Cascade Blackcap Raspberry I didn't get any.

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  9. atomeyes

lol....9000 bottles in Toronto.
    it will be around for a month

10. David_kent

David_kent Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2014 Canada (ON)

9000 bottles and only 40 showed up why lcbo do this

dabeerbuddha and atomeyes like this.
  11. bylerteck

bylerteck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,143) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

Showing stock in Sudbury and Toronto.

dabeerbuddha and CanadianBacon like this.
  12. atomeyes

i forget what store it was, but it was one of the first to get it. some dude literally bought them out immediately. 30+ bottles.
    there are some real pieces of work that live in this city.

dabeerbuddha and David_kent like this.
  13. David_kent

David_kent Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2014 Canada (ON)

30+? dang HA! Idk if I would ever buy 30 bottles of kbs though.
    Apparently the official... official release is the 17th (So says Founders and LCBO) . I don't know if I want to drive to Summerhill at the moment since this winter storm was too bad to drive in the city.

14. atomeyes

i will repeat it often:
    as posted above, there are 9000 bottles in this province.
    there is no need for ppl to be buying 30 bottles or people driving hours to find it.
    it will be at your local store soon enough and will probably be kicking around in 1-2 months...unless there's a Josh Rubin article about how amazing it is or unless some idiot beer traders/re-sellers swoop in.

15. atomeyes

Lol. Summerhill sold out. Someone at opening bought 15 cases.

David_kent likes this.
  16. Quotashun

Quotashun Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2004 Canada (ON)

17. GJKerr

GJKerr Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 Canada (ON)

Case = 12 or 24?? If 24, that was their entire stock at opening!

18. ckoop

ckoop Aspirant (258) Apr 2, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

I mean, it's 30 bottles, who cares? Like you said there is plenty to go around so if someone wants to grab 30 right off the bat what difference does it make to anyone? It's not like they had a 4 pack per person limit and this guy brought some mules with him to skirt the limits and screw other people out of a small amount of allocated product. There are 9000 bottles!

Now, I can't see why anyone would buy 15 cases unless they are just grabbing it for a group of people worried that it won't get distro'd across ontario. Or, more likely, since bars and restaraunts need to buy this at the LCBO to sell on premise, it was probably purchased by one of the beer bars in Toronto.

David_kent likes this.
  19. GJKerr

GJKerr Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 Canada (ON)

Yes, but does 15 cases represent a purchase of 180 bottles or 360? Either way, agree that this is likely on behalf of one or more bar/restos.

20. sweetbabybladefoot

sweetbabybladefoot Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2017 Canada (ON)

Long time lurker here.

I was at Summerhill this morning and bought 12 bottles of KBS out of the 335 they had in stock. I kept on eye on stock levels throughout the day to compare this to when Rochefort 10 sold like crazy in December 2013. That's the last time we had a massive shipment of a highly regarded beer I believe.

It's still showing 27 bottles available but it's usually delayed. Stock dropped steadily over the morning so there is no way somebody bought it all after I left. KBS was mostly stocked in full, closed cases on the floor so I so suspect some people just picked up a whole 24 and that was that. I'm sure it'll be easier to find by this time next week, but so keep in mind how fast Rochefort 10 sold at first.

ckoop, David_kent and CanadianBacon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.