What do you call "proper glassware"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamFuel, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

As long as it's clean, its okay. But I prefer pint glasses for easier drinking, less complicated beers and tulips/snifters for more intensely flavored beers. The only glass I always pair with a specific style is my tall pilsner glass, and that's just because it's fun.

Maestro0708 and JamFuel like this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Oh, one more thing: Never plastic.

3. jkblr

jkblr Grand Pooh-Bah (4,968) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think using the correct glass for the style comes first with company or specific beer labeling as "extra proper." This may be most true for historical styles for me. Drink a west coast or NE IPA out of what makes you happy. I'm going to pour an Marzen into a krug every single time, if I'm at home. Same thing goes for Belgian & English styles going into "historically accurate?" glassware. All that said, maybe proper is what adds to your enjoyment. I won't judge.

VABA and JamFuel like this.
  4. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

I'd say this is subjective, but I think all IPAs belong in the Nonic Pint Glass.

Greywulfken and papposilenus like this.
  5. Blinkyoureyes

Blinkyoureyes Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Tennessee

For me proper glassware is defined by type of glass by style, but also with the appropriately branded glass.

- 3F Geueze in a 3F Geueze glass
    - Founders KBS in a Founders snifter
    - Yazoo Embrace The Funk beer in Branded tulip
    - Hofbrauhaus in a 1 litre mug

You get the picture.

JamFuel likes this.
  6. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

Clean without cracks, chips or holes and big enough to hold a pint and get my honker in there

7. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I call it overrated. If you feel the need to enhance the beer just use a white wine glass.

JamFuel likes this.
  8. jparizo

jparizo Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2011 Indiana

As long as it's made of glass, it's proper.

JamFuel likes this.
  9. Soneast

Soneast Pooh-Bah (1,635) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

Basically any glass that's clean fits the bill for me. That said, at home I typically use my Duvel Tulips, or some other random branded tulips/snifters.

JamFuel likes this.
  10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I use a can glass because I like canned beer better. This way every beer I drink is in a can technically.

11. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

An unbranded glass of the correct type is the right choice..

JamFuel likes this.
  12. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

I much prefer Imperial pint glasses. Even with a short pour (for big beers), the Imperial pint gives you room for plenty of head and lots of space above for presenting the aroma.

Most of the time I use Imperial pint pub glasses, either the English nonic-style or the Irish sort-of tulip style (similar to the Guinness glass, but not branded). (As an aside, I've read that the "nonic" name originally was "no nick" - a bar glass that would be stacked without nicking the lip... IDK if that is more-or-less true or just a fanciful tale...)

I have some pint-sized wine glasses that I will use for BA beers and other highly aromatic stouts and the like. These are fairly rugged glasses.

I have some Total Wine-branded pilsener glasses (free with the store opening) that I will use occasionally for lagers. They are pint size, and as said by @akolb, it is fun (and pretty) to put a pilsener or other light-colored, highly carbonated lager into the tall pilsener glass.

I have a few branded shaker pints that don't get used, a branded modified shaker pint (it has some curve to the sides... I don't know if this style has a name) that I will use with that brand of beer sometimes, and I have a couple of branded Stella Artois stem glasses that I rarely use.

13. Blinkyoureyes

Blinkyoureyes Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Tennessee

If you go to any bar in Europe they all (for the most part) use the correct style and branded glass for each beer.

14. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

JMO, but as with the pilsener glass, I think most of the "style-specific" glassware is more for visual appreciation than anything else. This is especially true of the thistle for Scottish ales - a national symbol in a glass - and the Spiegelau glasses for specific styles (e.g. the IPA "Michelin Man" glass, the stout wide-bottom glass, the wheat beer glass - basically a bigger top and smaller bottom stout glass...). They are very visually attractive with the "proper" beer in them, but the arguments made about how they improve the drinking experience itself beyond visual appeal is, well, mostly nonsense compared with style-generic glassware (such as tulip, snifter, nonic, etc.). Again, JMO.

15. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

The one with beer in it

16. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Most of my beers get poured into a tulip or a nonic pint. On the off chance I drink a pilsner I use the style-appropriate glass. My lone snifter was recently broken and I've yet to replace it. Matching brand to beer is fun but non essential, of course.

17. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

Most of all tulip glasses, sometimes a snifter.

18. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Devotee (377) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

A standard pint glass is the "proper" glassware for 90% of the beers I drink. A tulip glass for the rest.

19. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

20. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,738) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.