What do you call "proper glassware"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JamFuel, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I use a 19oz Nonic style and a large 20oz or so snifter style. I don't want any branding on my glass unless it's given to me free. I do use an Ommegang "chalice" style that came in a box set. Three large bottles and a glass was being given away at $10-12 (don't remember the exact $)a few years back. I bought a few sets and gifted them.

I hate the mason jar type glass.

Enjoy

JamFuel likes this.
  2. papposilenus

papposilenus Grand Pooh-Bah (3,208) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I almost-totally-completely-somewhat agree with that statement. However, I think that at least when you 'make a leap forward' you could consider putting a cheap 'New-and-Improved!' sticker on the box or inserting a mimeographed flyer or something?

I think I'm a fairly knowledgable beer consumer but I regularly find myself questioning whether a beer has been tweaked or if my palate isn't as smart as maybe I thought it was.

Is mimeograph still a thing or did I just say how old I was?

3. Giantspace

Pooh-Bah Society

Do tell. Why is this glass so good? I have not even condidered one as I don't like the shape but if there is some magic to the shape I am interested

Enjoy

4. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

Yes, of course. I was referring to the subtle tweaks over time...for instance, on one of our recent beers, we changed the flavor hop addition from 37 lbs. of Centennial to 39 lbs. of Centennial. Does this merit a new packaging change? I would argue no, since the change is de minimis and part of an ongoing, continuous improvement process.

However, big overhauls in formulation or procedures should have accompanying point-of-sale and web/mobile content to alert the customers.

cheers

FBarber and papposilenus like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm not much of a stickler, I drink IPAs out of a Pils glass sometimes. I got a few glasses, some branded some not. My favorite is an old red wine glass , but right behind it is my HF balloon glass and my Bourbon County glass. But.... Nothing looks as good as a beer in a nice old fashioned Pils glass though, I remember a day when such glass was standard everywhere for 15 cents a glass for stuff like Schaefer or Schlitz, but was .20 for Bud.

JamFuel likes this.
  6. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

The latter... but fresh mimeograph pages sure did smell good! :slight_smile:

rgordon and papposilenus like this.
  7. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Grand Pooh-Bah (3,593) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As a bona fide glass whore, with over 800 glasses in my ever growing collection....proper glassware is more than a "word" for a beer glass....it's a lifestyle and way to really enjoy various beers in the appropriate glass.....I get giddy with excitement when I find a new glass from a new brewery, and then go on to learn more about said brewery.....usually I then go and buy a beer from them if it is something I have not had before....but as my glass collection has gotten larger, this does not happen as often (obviously) as it used to a few years ago when I started collecting in earnest.....to each their own! Some people do not give a crap about the glass and others like me do....it's all good!

utopiajane, JamFuel and jkblr like this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Proper glassware, and beer

[​IMG]

JamFuel likes this.
  9. skleice

skleice Maven (1,271) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

So, this is a SixPoint thread now? :rolling_eyes:

10. papposilenus

papposilenus Grand Pooh-Bah (3,208) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A lot of the best threads end up that way.:flushed:

11. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Maven (1,448) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

Honestly, without getting too specific, I'd say just about anything but a shaker pint, proper more specifically would depend on the style of beer

12. mickyge

mickyge Grand Pooh-Bah (4,128) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

proper is anything that doesn't leak, with that being said, you can't go wrong with a can style glass.

VABA and JamFuel like this.
  13. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Pooh-Bah (2,153) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

14. flaskman

flaskman Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2015 New York

Anything that doesn't leak or cut your lip is perfect for me !!!

PrimustheOne and JamFuel like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Permit me to relate one Sixpoint change experience. They brew a Gose they brand as Jammer every year. Now, in all fairness I am aware they continually tweak their beers. I thought the first version of Jammer (v1.0) was OK. I really liked the second version (v2.0). The next year I was not a fan of this beer (v3.0).

Every beer drinker is permitted to have a differing opinion here but my personal opinion is that all of these varying beers should have some discussion on the packaging informing the consumer that the beer they are purchasing is different from the beer they bought before.

As I am sure you are well aware, Shane has a differing view here.

The beer world has a differing perspective when you are the owner of a brewery vs. a customer of a brewery. This is the way of the world?

Cheers!

16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Scott, I wish I had some 'science' I can share with you here but....

Maybe is the slight inward curve that accentuates certain aromas/flavors?

What I can relate from a personal perspective is that I have consumed the same Stout/Porter from the Spiegelau Stout/Porter glass (read: expensive) and then from the can shaped glass and I much preferred the can shaped glass experience.

In other circumstances I would ascribe this to a personal thing but since I was tipped off to the can shaped glass but a very smart beer person I do not.

The best I can say here is try this for yourself and decide on your own.

Cheers!

Jack

17. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Grand Pooh-Bah (3,593) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Jack.....so what would you have Sixpoint (and other breweries who "tweak" their beers) do in regards to the packaging?

The logistics and cost of making changes to existing packaging for a beer are likely far more than you can imagine....and to what end? To say...."new and improved"?? What about the drinkers / consumers who did not have versions 1 or 2, what would that sort of statement mean to them? Wouldn't that be a bit confusing to a good many customers who may not have bought Jammer previously?

This is not such a simple thing for any brewery to deal with, and I for one, agree with Shane @ Sixpoint to leave the packaging alone, whether it be Resin, Hi Res, or Jammer, or whatever beer they "tweak"....it opens too many other issues to refer back to earlier versions.

18. Giantspace

Pooh-Bah Society

I agree its probably expensive to make package changes w/ each change.....Maybe the web site can place can on dates that had the change.....I really liked the jammer I had. I think it was V3 but cant be sure. Can the machine that inks the date put the version # on the can bottom? That cant cost more than a bit of ink.

Bring back Diesel cans and Rad........

Enjoy

JackHorzempa likes this.
  19. Giantspace

Pooh-Bah Society

Have to find one of these at the thrift store.......I am up to experiment

Enjoy

20. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Pooh-Bah (1,567) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

A Pint glass for ales
    A snifter for RIS and BBA's
    A 1/2 L mug for German Lagers
    A Chalace for Trappist and the knock offs
    A Tulip for Duvel (and Trappist beers when your chalice is dirty)
    A Couple weisen glasses
    A pilsner glass for old times sake
    A Guiness Imperial pint glass to frustrate you when you pour a 14.9 oz can into it
    A Litre Mug to get really ripped when the Octoberfest beers are released in August
    A Kolsh pipe
    A stein for week three of the Octoberfest release (after you learned your lesson last week)
    A peuter mug because you graduated from college
    A Ball Mason jar handle mug because why the hell not!
    And a Stella mug because they were giving them away at a bar with the purchase of a draft.

Did I miss anything. feel free to help me out! HAHA

JamFuel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.