15 Most Important Chicago Beers Ever

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by FBarber, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beergurujr

beergurujr Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2003 Illinois

2. beergurujr

beergurujr Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2003 Illinois

You gosh dang youngsters as usual, don't know what the H-E-double hockey sticks you're talking about.

Baderbrau was a phenomenal beer at the time. It typically took three to five minutes to achieve a perfect draught pour; as a lager it was unparalleled. There was nothing else on the market from anywhere quite like it.

IMO, Big Shoulders Porter was important not so much because of the style- Anchor Porter was a better more consistent beer- but the Chicago Brewing Company, opened by the Dinehart brothers, was an extremely friendly, approachable place to sample their beers. Daily tastings and tours, thorough explanations of the brewing process, taught many future brewers (and craft beer drinkers) to appreciate craft beer. It opened a window that heretofore had been largely shut. The Dinehart brothers should be in a Chicago Beer Hall Of Fame.

I would add one more earlier brewery to an expanded list.

* Golden Prairie Brewing Company, Maple Stout. Owner Ted Furman, currently a brewer at the far south side Argus Brewery, created a great moderately sweet stout, that I miss even today. Maybe the first craft beer in Chicago brewed without regard to the Reinheitsgebot. Ted if you read this, howdy buddy!

3. thereal

thereal Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 Illinois

Ha, I admire the post's thesis statement! Pedants gonna pedant....

CB_Michigan, GuyFawkes and FBarber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.