Summit Brewing Co.’s Hefeweizen Returns

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by summitbeer, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricVegoe

EricVegoe Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2011 Minnesota

Is the Wit Bier going to be like Scandia?

2. summitbeer

summitbeer Devotee (365) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

Same style, as you know, but it's a new recipe this time around.

3. ZAP

ZAP Grand Pooh-Bah (3,964) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good to hear the recipe changed a little. Thought Scandia was just a little too heavy with the added spices.....looking forward to trying the newer version..

4. bsp77

bsp77 Pooh-Bah (2,185) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

From your website:

"Remember your old pal Summit Hefeweizen? It's back with a few slight tweaks."

So, not exactly the same, is it?

Edit: this is meant to be questioning, not snarky

#24 bsp77, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  5. summitbeer

It's all good! We figured there'd be a few questions about the Hefe. We're using the same malts, hops and yeast as our previous recipe. The only "tweaks" have to do with the temperature at a few different stages. Hope you'll get your hands on the beer soon!

SipIt, BigIslandfarmer and KarlHungus like this.
  6. Ish1

Ish1 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota

Has this hit shelves yet?

7. summitbeer

The first cases left early this week, so we expect a few to pop up on shelves this week. Still early though. The Beer Finder will show some locations any day now! http://www.summitbrewing.com/where-to-find

8. CarolusP

CarolusP Zealot (566) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

Anyone seen these on shelves yet? I've been to a few liquor stores over the past week and haven't seen any.

9. MNTraveler

MNTraveler Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2016 Minnesota

I picked one up at TW Eagan last week.

10. JMN44

JMN44 Pundit (775) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota

What are the prices people are seeing for the Summit Boundary Waters box?

11. MNTraveler

MNTraveler Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2016 Minnesota

$13.99. It was worth it for the packaging alone. Well, maybe not, but it is a cool.box.

JMN44 likes this.
  12. LittleGus

LittleGus Crusader (452) Mar 13, 2008 Minnesota

Gotta say that the Wit and Hefe are the two most disappointing beers I've had from Summit maybe ever. Neither is bad, they're just not remotely to style. If you'd poured me either one and told me to guess what style they were, I don't think I would have guessed correctly. I get no banana from the Hefe. I probably would have guessed saison for the Wit. I think of Summit as the indispensable MN brewery. Through all the fads, they stick with their strength: balanced beers that are reasonably true to style. I'll probably still buy a few of these. The wit and hefe aren't bad beers, and I love the Keller Pils. I always drink a ton of Summer Ale, too. Still, I think swing and a miss here for the most part.

Ish1 and hopb4fg like this.
  13. hopb4fg

hopb4fg Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2016 Hawaii

I had the Witbier and thought it had a bitter finish and wasn't much like a witbier at all. Not so good.

LittleGus likes this.
  14. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Not consistent with the two I had at the Summit Beer Hall. Nice hefe aroma and taste. Some bittering in the middle, but just a little.

LittleGus likes this.
  15. LittleGus

Interesting! While I was drinking them I was thinking maybe my palate was off. That happens sometimes. But the flavors were so off (in the sense of not being true to style, not off off) that it wasn't really even close. I'd like to find it on tap to see if it's different.

16. Ish1

Ish1 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Minnesota

I had both on tap at the brewery the weekend before last and was thinking the almost exact same thing. I just assumed my palate was cooked that day and it wasn't warm enough outside to truly appreciate the hefe. I kept thinking, if this is the flavor coming from the canned version, Schells has nothing to worry about. I'll give it another try but was definitely disappointed.
    I'll still hit that Keller Pils and Summer Ale hard though!

LittleGus likes this.
  17. LittleGus

I also find it interesting that the one review of the wit reads like a review of a classic witbier. I got almost none of the flavors the reviewer mentions.

hopb4fg and Ish1 like this.
  18. MNAle

I finally bought a Boundary Waters pack.

The hefe from the can is OK, but not as good as the "opening night" hefe from the tap at the beer hall.

I enjoy it, but Schell's is a better, more true to style hefe. But, then, Schell's is not available in cans for summer activities, either, AFAIK.

I do pick up the clove and banana, but the banana flavor is too subtle for a hefe and is mixed with other fruit-ish flavors. Hardly any bittering.

I haven't tried the wit yet.

Don't know if I'll buy another BW 12 pack once the Keller Pils is available separately. It might depend on how good the wit is.

19. SipIt

SipIt Zealot (735) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Not to take anything away from Summit, but do you know when Schells will have the hefe out again? I feel like the maifest has been out for a while.

I'm still need to try out the Summit 12pk once I find it.

mrpeterandthepuffers and MNAle like this.
  20. MNAle

I got mine at F44, but I expect it is pretty widely available by now. The box itself is a very good design; substantial cardboard with a lid that can be opened and closed. Well done for people who want to toss it in the boat, camper, whatever.

SipIt and JMN44 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.