Tennessee - High Gravity Question

Discussion in 'South' started by SDSU94, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDSU94

SDSU94 Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2015 Tennessee

Hoping someone knowledgeable on the alcohol laws in Tennessee can answer a question for me.

Prior to moving to Nashville from the west coast in 2012 I'd never heard the terms "high gravity" and "low gravity". Where I'm from every draft beer gets served in a pint glass. Crazy concept! It was my understanding that in January Tennessee repealed the archaic "church" laws on alcohol. However I keep seeing certain IPAs being served in 10 oz glasses. My question is what exactly is the current law? Is everything above 8% still required to be served in 10 oz glasses? What is the delineation line or is there one or are the bars and restaurants just slow in enacting the new laws? Thanks

Badfish likes this.
  2. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Pooh-Bah (2,418) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think a lot of sized pours have to do with price-per-glass and the responsibility of an establishment to not overserve patrons with high ABV beers.

3. KMitch

KMitch Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Alabama

Not sure about TN but here in AL I have gotten 20oz pours of "high-gravity" beers at one location and at another location in the same city I was only allowed an 8oz pour of the same beer. I think a lot of times here it has to do with what @IMFletcher said...it is more of a policy of the establishment more than a law.

Badfish likes this.
  4. ChristianSpears

ChristianSpears Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Tennessee

]
    I think you're right: It has more to do with what @IMFletcher is saying. However, the wholesale tax in Tennessee is obscenely higher than it is elsewhere. This tax does find it's way into prices to establishments. Thus, there may be some level of pricing passed onto the customer, or in this case lower volume pours to mitigate higher prices to the customer.

I still think it has more to do with establishment views on high gravity pours. That was a big discussion point with the TN leg too. They were very concerned about the greater availability of higher ABV beers and the resulting behaviors of consumers.

Badfish likes this.
  5. harperman69

harperman69 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2009 Tennessee

6. SDSU94

Big difference between being OFFERED different sizes at different price points and being charged 16 oz price (a pint) for a 10 oz pour as only option to purchase and being told "it's the law" when it's not.

7. harperman69

There is no law requiring a smaller pour in TN and a server/bartender is more than likely just misinformed if they say so. I travel all over the country as well, been to Colorado, California, Vermont and Florida in the last six months. I see higher gravity pours in smaller glassware all the time because it's a responsible business practice. Having it insanely priced is not.

Badfish and Readmorevols like this.
  8. SDSU94

Well there lies the problem, ignorant bartenders/servers... lol. And not every establishment in Tennesseee subscribes to the 10 oz pour theory, thankfully

I drink IPA and double IPA all over North America and the pints I'm being served range between $5-7.50 (unless Happy Hour). $7.50 is typically the hotel bar. I consider that normal price for a pint of craft beer. Don't follow the comment about responsible business practice. Would need more information.

#8 SDSU94, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  9. harperman69

As a former restaurant owner it's about the average "drink". How much ABV a shot has in it, or a mixed drink, or a glass of wine or in this case a glass of beer. We have to be able to gauge how much alcohol a person has had in the time they have been there. It can be quite complicated when you have multiple tables and patrons you are dealing with but ultimately we are the ones responsible for the reasonable sobriety of our guests. If it can be proven that we over served someone that couldn't control him or herself, we put ourselves in legal harms way. By pouring a 10 oz pour of a 11% RIS for example, we are getting close to the equivalence of a 6% 16oz IPA. Therefore the alcohol level should have about equal effect and also serves as a decent guide for the patrons to know how much they have had. I'm the exact opposite of you (no offense meant), I don't want a huge pour of a high ABV drink.

Readmorevols likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.