Chicagoland NE IPAs (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by SeanBond, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eppie82

eppie82 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,341) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anyone try FFF's VCR/Gun/PHD? It's their NE style IPA. I had it about a week or so ago. Not bad (if that's their first attempt). Got the haze thing down, but it's got more pine and a bitter hop bite than some of the other Chicagoland IPAs. Overall not bad.

2. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Savant (1,134) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I thought it was just alright, honestly. It wasn't a bad offering, but it was a one and done for me. I'd like to see if they decide to tweak it at all and try again, or if they just scrap it.

3. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Maybe Im in the minority, but I kind of hope FFF just keeps doing their thing and doesn't bother with the NE Style IPAs. I appreciate their beers and I'm happy to see they keep turning out quality beers. I think I feel the same way about Pipeworks ... although with them, I'd love to see them do a double dry hopped fish series beer (emerald grouper maybe?) similar to the DDH Pseudo-Sue bombers.

Jaycase and SeanBond like this.
  4. KrajDoesBeer

KrajDoesBeer Savant (1,228) Aug 2, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Not yet thinking it hits today

FBarber and TigerDriver91 like this.
  5. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I kind of agree. I love Permanent Funeral, so as long as they keep pumping out that sort of thing, it's cool.

I don't want everyone to try their take on the NE IPA, just...most people. :wink:

FBarber likes this.
  6. flat_lander

flat_lander Pooh-Bah (2,384) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks for chiming in! I certainly hope you try it again, and doubling down on mango sounds fantastic. I love what you guys are doing. Really dig the redone hazy Little Secret. That going to be the approach to it moving forward?

7. 3xAnthony

3xAnthony Aspirant (277) Dec 10, 2012 Illinois

We'll see. One idea with the haze was to extend the shelf life... we've noticed that crystal clear Little Secret versus hazy Dank Meme have significantly different shelf lives even though the grain bills are similar and the post-package oxygen is identical (under 50 PPB), so we figured the yeast left in suspension was helping reduce the oxygen even further. I underestimated how difficult it is to change perception about an existing beer though and it causes confusion out in the market when the appearance changes so drastically... but it sure would be sweet to eliminate another yeast in our brewery and use the Meme yeast for almost everything.

Born_A_Jee likes this.
  8. ryno0384

ryno0384 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2015 Illinois

Anyone going to corridor today? Tapping their DDH Simcoe pale ale. Curious to see how it turns out since squeeze it was awesome.

Nachos4two and Born_A_Jee like this.
  9. SeanBond

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If all goes well I'm going to swing by to FINALLY try their food (I've only gone in for beer before), and hopefully see what's up with that simcoe hazzzze.

ryno0384 likes this.
  10. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Pundit (781) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'm planning on swinging by to grab a crowler or two. Don't know if I'll have time to get a glass.

Nachos4two and ryno0384 like this.
  11. Born_A_Jee

Born_A_Jee Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois

Hmmm, I am waiting for a package to be delivered. I noticed that Corridor is open right now. If they tapped it at opening, I may have to make a quick trip there in about an hour or two to finally try a Corridor NE style beer.

12. ratwheels

ratwheels Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Illinois

Tapping it at 5 p.m. is what I heard.

KrajDoesBeer, Born_A_Jee and KCUnited like this.
  13. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Savant (1,016) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Maybe I missed something, but I thought the brewer said Thursday for the new hazy IPA at Corridor?

14. Born_A_Jee

Born_A_Jee Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois

When I was there Sunday, they told me they will have another NEIPA on Thursday. But Corridor posted on Facebook that on May 3 they will tap Salute Your Simcoe.

15. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Savant (1,016) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I see it now. I'm not good at this social media thing.

FBarber and SeanBond like this.
  16. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Savant (1,149) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

What do we think, "NE Style" again?

Nachos4two likes this.
  17. dukedevil0

dukedevil0 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2008 Illinois

It doesn't list NE style on either of the cans they packaged today, "Grid" and "Unwind Your Mind". Wonder if this is because these are not intended to be NE style, or if they are listening to some feedback...

18. SeanBond

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not according to their website, no. Looks like an APA. Love me some citra/mosaic...

http://www.hopbutcher.com/#/grid/

For what it's worth, I definitely think they listen to feedback. Not sure if that's what's going on here, but I think they are paying attention to what people want.

19. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Maven (1,354) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Well geez, who on earth would be an "IPA" or "APA" without "NE" in front of it? Talk about piss water...

JFresh21, Jaycase and SeanBond like this.
  20. SeanBond

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Careful, I'm pretty sure there are people on this very thread who would agree with you...:wink:

(not me)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.