Need recommendations...

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Mike_Amps, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike_Amps

Mike_Amps Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2015 California

What's up BA's! Will be visiting Norfolk VA in about a week specifically staying around the Waterside drive in Norfolk. Looking for recommendations for some awesome craft beer spots around the area, wouldn't mind driving between 1.5-2.0 hrs.

Cheers!

2. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Pooh-Bah (2,397) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Norfolk Breweries: O Connor, Smartmouth, Coelacanth, Bold Mariner, Rip Rap, Benchtop
    Norfolk bottle shops: Total Wine, bottleBOX, exceptionALE

Everything on the lower peninsula should be < hour away: Chesapeake's Big Ugly, and all the breweries in VA Beach. Same with the upper peninsula: all the breweries in Hampton and Williamsburg. Richmond, VA is right at the end of the 1.5-2 hour timeframe away, and a bad traffic day can ruin that.

I'm a Norfolk homer, I'd just stay closeby and hit all the Norfolk breweries, maybe venture out to VA Beach and Chesapeake. You cross less water that way :slight_smile:

3. TomCat11

TomCat11 Pooh-Bah (2,062) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If you do venture to Va. Beach, which is quite close, then definitely check out Commonwealth Brewing. I live a couple hours away but love what they are doing. If you are into sours then Reaver Beach Brewing is a must.

The Bitch Bar in Norfolk I hear is also a legit spot as well.

4. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (1,124) Jul 31, 2010 California
    Trader

Hey guys, I'm from CA staying near Virginia Beach for a week starting on the 20th. My fiance has made it clear that this is not a beer trip; which I'm fine with. But, I'd like to find a reason to sample some local stuff, and try and fill any open areas in my suitcase with a few bottles to take home. Any restaurants worth checking out that would have some nice taps? If I were to go to ONE bottle shop, where should I go? Thanks in advance!

5. montman

montman Maven (1,290) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

If you can only go to one bottle shop definitely go to grape & gourmet, they will have all your out of distro stuff covered.
    One of my favorite restaurants towards the oceanfront is Esoteric, great food and taps (even veil on occasion), close to the beach as well.
    Stop by Reaver beach for breweries, their sour program is the best in the area. There should be some bottles left from next weekends release. Commonwealth is excellent as well, depending on where you are staying they may be a little further away.
    If you venture towards Norfolk the above threads have you covered.

Skunkdrool likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.