New Beer Sunday (Week 637)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by cjgiant, May 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,560) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Welcome back. I hope you are able to stick to your plan and make the right decisions for you. I will enjoy reading your posts when you have a chance to participate. Good luck going forward.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I briefly rewatched the portion on fruit; there was no specific discussion on blackberry.

#62 JackHorzempa, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Zazzi82, meefmoff, cavedave and 5 others like this.
  3. BJB13

BJB13 Pooh-Bah (2,284) Feb 18, 2017 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thank you Sir, appreciate that!

smanson56 likes this.
  4. richj1970

richj1970 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,687) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So this looked interesting. They call it Ugly as Sin. It's a blend of Morher Earth's Sin Tax and Tenaya Creek's Bonaza Brown infused with toasted coconut.

[​IMG]

Poured on draft at Tenaya Creek taproom.

A: Pitch black with one finger light tan head. Lasting retention and lots of lacing.

S: Coconut, chocolate, and roasty malts.

T: Reminds of a less sweet version of almond joy. Rich dark chocolate, toasted caramel, and hints of walnut.

M: Full bodied but not thick. Average carbonation.

O: Nice desert style stout. Very well done.

VABA, meefmoff, Prager62 and 34 others like this.
  5. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Grand Pooh-Bah (4,779) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

Good morning/afternoon NBSers, and happy New Barleywine Sunday! Thanks @cjgiant for going above and beyond the call as usual. Nothing too special to report about the week out here. A little damp and rainy weather last night and today, hence the decision for a perfect beer to compliment that. Well...Sort of. Anyhoo, we hosted a post Celebration of Life party at the Lingenbrau Biergarage last night after saying our final goodbyes to a good friend who left us far too early. And we partied appropriately, in a way that would have made her proud. Aaaaaand now I'm feeling it. So is my brother who became incapacitated last night :confused:, so now it's time for some hair of the dog. A beer I am very excited about, and comes to me courtesy of one hell of an amazing BA, @jzeilinger . Thank you so much again, Jeff!

Pelican Brewing Company-
    2015 Mother of all Storms-
    Barrel Aged Barleywine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You've all heard me ramble on and on about my love for Oregon and everything there within, especially their breweries who criminally don't get the attention or praise they deserve. However, I kind of feel like that is by design, specifically towards those hailing out of the Portland area. Pelican is one that I have desired to visit on the beautiful Oregon coast, and in another thread regarding the upcoming Total Solar Eclipse ( @impending :wink:), it seems to be quite the destination for some great views for many. Hope I can be so lucky. Alright, on to the beer!

A: Pours the deepest dark brown with mahogany highlights when held to light. A thin foamy tan head recedes and almost completely disappears. No lacing, yet still beautiful.

A: Oak and strong booze take center stage, followed by dark fruits of raisin, plum, dates, and fig blending into sweet malts showcasing toffee and caramel.

T: Yup! Follows that and then some. All the descriptions above really do share their equal part and the ending result is brilliant. Oak and bourbon sweetness linger in the aftertaste.

F: Rich, smooth, and slick with bitter and sweet battling for dominance in each sip. Alcohol warmth once again is very prominent.

O: Overall, this is amazing BA Barleywine. I find the booze a bit much and very detectable in each of the categories, but don't really think that's an issue nor would I want it dialed down.

And what does my brother say about all this? "It's good." :rolling_eyes:. Consider my hangover gone!!!
    Cheers everyone, and I will see you all soon!

6. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

New beer : Burial Hawk Bill IPA.

12 oz can, they're using. Pilsner malt, with oats, and rye. Hops used Moasic / El Dorado/Galaxy and dry hopped with Simcoe. Comes in at 6% Abv.

Really nice pour, kinda loses it half way thru the can, but nice lacing. Nose is fruity, kinda light. A medium body fruity IPA that's just easy to drink. No overwhelming malt, not stunningly bitter. I love Buriel beers and this is no exception, a constant is a creamy mouthfeel, just soft and a bit velvety, I'm thinking their use of malts, house yeast and oats just seperates their beers from others. I'd recommend it. Scores about a 4.2 on BA and I'd agree with that.
    [​IMG]

7. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@cjgiant

I have occasionally come across this issue as well, most often it seems in sours with fruit. I don't necessarily have any berries which seem to present this aspect more often than others, but I believe blackberries, blueberries, and other fruit to have that effect.

I do make sure to mention in my review if I am getting a tart or fruity flavor which could be imparted from the fruit I know is in the beer, but which I am not perceiving as that fruit flavor particularly or specifically.

Like CJ, I'm not necessarily willing to say other reviewers don't necessarily get those flavors more identifiably ... but of course we are all influenced by the label.

I personally find that in many stouts, I get a slightly tart, vinous, almost red grape flavor. I know there are no grapes in that beer, but it is the impression I get, and red grapes happen to be the only analog I have for comparison. That clean impression of flavor of an ingredient not present in the beer is kind of the opposite of the "blackberry conundrum" (as I am now calling it): where a discrete ingredient imparts a less clearly identifiable flavor.

.... unless this brew was just aged on a particular brand of cell phone. Then it all makes sense. :wink:

dee4maine, bret717, cavedave and 8 others like this.
  8. Jm5471

Jm5471 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2017 New York

[​IMG]

Another good IPA from Barrier. It has a good balance of hoppy bitterness and sweetness. Easy to drink mad I didn't grab another

VABA, meefmoff, yossle and 23 others like this.
  9. jkblr

jkblr Grand Pooh-Bah (4,968) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good Afternoon NBS
    Today's new beer is Gold Standard from Taxman. It's my second new Indiana beer this week. From their website:
    STYLE: ABBEY BLONDE
    ABV: 6.2%
    IBU: 20
    Description: Set your Gold Standard with our quaffable abbey blonde. Dynamic Belgian esters and a light, dry body blend with subtle malt flavors and delicate grassy hops to form a crisp, clean Belgian-style single ale with a sparkling golden hue befitting of its name. Certainly deserving of full faith and credit.

[​IMG]
    12 oz canned 4/13/17. The beer pours hazy golden orange and looks more like a tripel than a blonde. The head is white and hangs around the circumference of the glass with a light cap. The smell is very light with a whisper of malt but no distinct aroma. The taste is light up front with a slight Belgian yeast taste coming in behind. There is a touch of bitterness in the end as the malt bill is so light that 20 IBU is more prevalent than you might guess. Mouthfeel is soft, perfectly carbonated and clean with a semi-dry finish. Overall, Good. This is a year round beer for Taxman and probably designed to be an approachable "step up" for the average Hoosier BMC fan. There is nothing wrong with this beer but it is very reserved. Enjoy your Sunday

VABA, meefmoff, Prager62 and 26 others like this.
  10. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Good to hear. Even here in SE PA I've started to hear a few things about Freetail and their beers, all positive.

cavedave and smanson56 like this.
  11. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

My dogs are waiting for a walk, so I need to get this review finished up!

Karben4 Martian Sunrise pours a dark red/brown with a 2 finger khaki head. Fades into a thin ring and leaves behind thick webs of lacing. Hops are upfront and fruity with tropical and floral notes. I do pick up some earthiness along with the sweetness of malt. Less of a tropical fruit bomb than I thought. There is more light fruit that transitions into a very bitter grapefruit and pine. I pick up some herbal, floral, and earthiness, along with minimal sweetness from malts. Medium bodied with good carbonation for the style. It has an oily and slickness, with a bitterness that lingers. An interesting Red IPA that was enjoyable.

[​IMG]

12. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Thanks for the very helpful discusson.

smanson56 and BJB13 like this.
  13. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

Foundation Magnus Flanders red for today's new brew. I've been loving these barrel aged beers they've been doing so let's see how this new addition to the line up is.

[​IMG]

Pours a deep coppery red with a quickly dissipating one finger head though there is a constant stream of bubbles rising and a halo left behind.

Aroma of caramel, oak, tart cherry, almond, plum, and lemon.

Tastes of tart lemon and plum, oak, almond/cherry, caramel, a little green Olive flavor that's quite interesting. Very sour up front winding down into malty sweetness and finishing on a pleasant tannic bitterness.

Light to medium bodied, bright carbonation, dry finish, no alcohol, maybe slightly astringent.

This is another tasty brew coming out of Foundations barrel program. It's pretty much everything I love in sour red, tart, fruity flavors, stabilizing malt, and a noticeable well integrated barrel character.

Cheers!

14. woodchipper

woodchipper Grand Pooh-Bah (3,321) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Big NBS for me thank's to Rob I met at a local brewery. My first Tree House. From can to glass, bottled this week.
    [​IMG]
    Mango fandango I will tell you. Apricot and spruce also.
    Pours to look like apricot juice, but with a head that laces very well.
    Taste follows the aroma, but with a hint of rye followed by a hint of the alcohol, finish is dry.
    Overall, very pleased, I do love this beer, but I still would not wait in line (for any beer).
    Sorry for the short review, the gang is here and we are about to watch the recorded Supercross finale from last night. Nobody here knows if Dungey beat Tomac at this point.

15. bret717

bret717 Pooh-Bah (2,235) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hey there, fellow Sunday new beer tryers! My new one for today is South County Intervals Azacca. South County is a fairly local brewery and Intervals is their series of single Hop Pale Ales. So far I've enjoyed the beers I've had from them, but this is the first I've had in the Intervals series, and it's a good one! The taste and aroma are very fruity, and the feel is what I think of as "juicy." The only thing I didn't like was the appearance of the beer which reminded me of dirty tap water. However that was very easy to overlook once I had a smell and a taste.

Here is the beer and my review. Cheers!

[​IMG]

4.13/5 rDev +1.2%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Look- murky pale orange/brown, like dirty tap water. Nice fluffy off white head, leaves behind thick lacing

Smell- grapefruit, strawberry, peach. Very fruity

Taste- starts with light malt sweetness
    And grapefruit zest, followed by sweet peach. Finishes with a sharp orange tanginess into light lingering bitterness

Feel- medium and soft,slight tingle from the carbonation.

Overall very nice fruity IPA that isn't lacking in bitterness with a light malt presence to give a little balance. Very full-flavored. The only drawback was the appearance of the liquid which as noted, was a bit off putting for me.

16. thebeers

thebeers Grand Pooh-Bah (5,393) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

Modern Times Drop Art

Thanks to @cjgiant for the look back in this week's opener. It was cool to check out an earlier NBS thread, which now has me interested in finding a Bass No. 1. Doubt I ever will, but we can dream.

Today's dreamy beer comes to me courtesy of @Lingenbrau from a brewery I've never had the chance to try before now.

My wife likes saisons and also enjoyed the name "Drop Art," so I shared a little with her. She wasn't a big a fan, but I am enjoying it.

It poured a cloudy pale yellow with three fingers of sudsy near-white head that were very quick to dissipate into a modest crown, which itself then disappeared before too long.

I'm a bit stuffy today, and even so, had no trouble picking up a mild citrus aroma of dull lemon and tangerine. The smell is only slightly yeasty, with a hint of soap and fresh green herb as well.

The taste and feel are like a slightly flat, carbonated fruit soda mixed with a bit of actual fruit juice. It has a soft feel with just a bit of carbonation coming through. There's a little metallic tinge in the taste, which otherwise follows the nose (dull citrus, a hint of pineapple, slight soap, an herbal note). There's a faint juicy tangerine burst in the aftertaste, along with a very small pithy bitterness and more soap.

This is an interesting, refreshing spring beer. It's not particularly saison-like, IMO. More of a New England APA with artsy farmhouse allusions.

Thanks, lingenbrau, and happy Sunday, y'all.

#76 thebeers, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    meefmoff, yossle, Prager62 and 31 others like this.
  17. woodychandler

woodychandler Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,048) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Needless to say but folks on BA provide beer reviews with full knowledge of what they are drinking. I have no way of guessing how many reviewers would be bold enough in a review to state something like: "This beer lists that it was brewed using ingredient x but I could not perceive any x flavors in this beer".

I AM that bold. If a beer is not as advertised, I will say so in my review.

TheDoctor, cavedave, LeRose and 5 others like this.
  18. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

Oedipus Mannenliefde

A new Belgian saison in the Shelton portfolio? Hell yes. I'll buy one without knowing any other details - and I kept myself deliberately in the dark until after I drank it. Looks like this is contract brewed at Anders.

The name translates to "men-love." Um, OK. Considering that the brewery is named Oedipus, it's clear that they are marching to their own beat. It's made with pilsner malt, biscuit malt, wheat, East Kent Goldings, Sorachi Ace, Szechuan pepper, and lemongrass. In some ways, that list seems pretty unsurprising for a spiced saison.

This one made a huge rocky head. The head spilled out over my rim and I had to let my peanut butter sandwich act as a dropcloth.

This is a very bitter beer. Either it illustrates what I was saying earlier about saisons being hoppy or my taste buds are acting overly sensitive to bitterness today (or both). Unlike the previous saison, this one is not slightly fruity. It is dry and earthy - intensely so. I found it to be a little too extreme. When I drank it, I didn't know about the spices. Perhaps the pepper is responsible for my reaction, but I didn't recognize it. I also got no lemon flavors. Despite everything, this beer still feels like the real deal, but it's hard to get a good read of it. It feels nuanced and extreme at the same time.

19. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Great dubbel don't know why I waited so long.
    Pours dark copper with large murky head that dissipates within a few minutes.
    The aroma is dominated by a slices Belgian yeast character with toffee, dark fruit and sweet candy sugars
    It's pretty sweet up front with tons of brown surfer, dark fruits, and caramel with lots of clovey Belgian yeast spiciness on the finish.
    The mouthfeel is a little thin, but it's carbonation is light and pleasant.
    Overall, this is an outstanding Belgian dubbel and is affordable. I would definitely recommend it.
    4.25/5

20. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ha, I councidentally just did the same as I was writing my post below yours. I gotta go catch up with whatever posts I missed now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.