Darklord Day 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Beanblossom, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Pooh-Bah (2,629) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There isn't. People complain about the variants, but they are all nice in their own way. It's like ice cream, the majority will agree on chocolate and vanilla and the then the other 29 flavor are going to be fractured. For everyone person who says X variant is the worst, you'll find one who says they love it. If they bring back variants I can't see those being frowned upon though they are dependent on what spices are in them- don't like cinnamon, cardamom, or spicy peppers? Avoid variants that have those. People generally complain about the DL aged in dessert barrels, why? Because they don't understand. Not a lot of beers are aged in dessert barrels so it is new to a lot of people and also because the barrels add another layer of sweetness to an already sweet beverage. That being said, if you understand the concept of dessert wine, it is supposed to be sweet and it adds a nice complexity to DL. FFF didn't create DL variants for people to crush 25ozs of.

2. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois

Earl of Biggleswade, because cardamom.
    #Page162FTW

Fox82791 likes this.
  3. Kejbeer

Kejbeer Initiate (0) May 21, 2016 Indiana

Dark Lord Day News! Well... maybe random is fine for the beer, but for the coffee????

4. Sabtos

Sabtos Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,486) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Have you had Temeculan or Biggleswade tho?

YoDudeguy and ChiCubs78 like this.
  5. ShooterMcGavin

ShooterMcGavin Initiate (0) May 8, 2011 Wisconsin

If someone gets "stuck" with Dia Oscura hit me up. I'm more excited than most about it. I very much enjoyed Brewdog Islay Paradox and would like to see how it compares.

6. Coel

Coel Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

The only morning news I watch

TheKlevin, Kejbeer and ChiCubs78 like this.
  7. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Pooh-Bah (2,629) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Biggleswade is awesome. Haven't cracked my T-Mec yet, but I would equate this to Prop 2014 which I thought was a complete cinna-bomb in that for everyone who claims it is awful you are going to find an equal number who think it is amazing. It's just the way beer is.

MasterPenguins likes this.
  8. Sabtos

Sabtos Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,486) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I like cinnamon, a lot. Haven't had a cinnamon beer I thought was made worse by cinnamon, only if the beer itself wasn't decent.

However, the other stuff going on in Temeculan...it's a knock down drag out fight with the palate. It's very intense, and I like Indian food quite a lot actually....

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  9. ChiCubs78

@Kejbeer will there be a post DLD special?

TheKlevin and Kejbeer like this.
  10. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Pooh-Bah (2,924) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I went with these, too. Seem to work great.

11. croush

croush Pooh-Bah (2,371) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I had my first dream about the DLD bottle pickup process last night. I couldn't tell if I was getting 5 bottles or 6 bottles...it was stressful. I hope I don't keep having that same dream the next few nights.

And to make the jinx official, I just added sunscreen to my list of things to bring to DLD.

12. Ayelikebeer

Ayelikebeer Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2012 Illinois

So I can just bring two old DL's and trade them in for that, right?

Beerdudenumberone and croush like this.
  13. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I would agree with @HouseofWortship, as I like thought Biggleswade wade solid. At least the one I had.

Temeculan was straight up awful though. And it's not the cinnamon. It's the Barrel, mixed with the spice, and it's a giant mess of awful. Reminded me of Rachel's 8 layer cake in Friend's. It tasted like feet.

Maybe there's a joey out there though.

14. macewank

macewank Zealot (666) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

it's not about the variants it's about the experience!

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  15. Fox82791

Fox82791 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 New York

I'm interested in this a lot too actually. majority will probably not want it so it should be too hard to obtain afterwards

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  16. ChiCubs78

I'm not a fan of smokiness in my beer. If i understand it correctly this specific barrel they're using will lend a smoky flavor to the beer.
    If I land one of these and anyone lands a standard BBADL and wants to swap let me know after DLD. I'd love to keep my BBADL vert going. I'm willing to trade pretty much any variant for a BBADL if I don't land one.
    *Variant I'm willing to trade is subject to change.

reedmo, Fox82791 and croush like this.
  17. RC0032

RC0032 Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2009 Illinois

Ok been out of the loop a few years but stumbled into a ticket. So I can bring a backpack with beer and food into the festival?

18. JulianC

JulianC Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2012 Illinois

19. croush

croush Pooh-Bah (2,371) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Same here on this whole post. There really should be a "Variant Swap" section set up somewhere in the festival grounds.

funhog, FFFjunkie and ChiCubs78 like this.
  20. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.