One day and night in Seattle

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Badfish, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badfish

Badfish Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Tennessee

Hello fellow BAs! I'll be travelling to WA for my sister in law's wedding in April and I will have one day/night in Seattle and was looking for suggestions on can't miss breweries, beer bars, and food. I'll probably arrive around 2pm and then have to fly out the following day at around 1pm. It's brief, but I want to make the most of it! Thanks in advance!

2. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

3. Robomunky

Robomunky Initiate (0) May 14, 2015 Washington
    Trader

To maximize time, hit Fremont Brewing and then head over to Ballard. With just one day, you're going to miss a lot but in Ballard you can hit multiple good breweries and there's great food everywhere.

Texwild likes this.
  4. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Holy Mountain, Fremont, Reuben's, Cloudburst.

Boom.

5. Robomunky

Trader

Definitely the four best in town and if you go Fremont -> Reuben's -> Holy Mountain -> Cloudburst it's pretty much a straight shot to each and you won't even have to worry about getting lost in a strange city.

6. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

and a perfect way to experience the evolution of Seattle brewing!

7. xraided81

xraided81 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008 California
    Trader

Any suggestions for airport drinking ,? Getting in around 10pm staying at airport hotel, looking for best drinking option nearby ; don't want to kill drive time with drinking time

8. Robomunky

Trader

SeaTac, unfortunately, is our only real dead zone for good beer. In the airport there are a few places in the A terminal.

9. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

10. NWer

NWer Pooh-Bah (2,145) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Tennessee? Lived there for 2 years (Nashville). Loved it. Have a great time.

11. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Make sure the places you want to see are open. I'm heading up to Seattle for an overnight stay next month, and my hotel is a short walk from Cloudburst. Unfortunately, I'm arriving on a Tuesday, and Cloudburst is closed on Tuesdays.

12. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Technically there's time to take light rail downtown, but if his flight comes in at 10pm and hes gotta pick up bags or check into a hotel, it doesn't make a lot of sense when the trains stop at 12:30.

You could stop at Columbia City station and Uber to Slowboat Tavern. They always have great stuff (HM, Cloudburst) on tap and are open super late.

Near the airport? Your options are Roasters and 13 Coins.

13. ch3no2

ch3no2 Crusader (422) Nov 19, 2007 Washington
    Society

If your hotel is by the airport your best bet is probably Sharp's Roasthouse. Nothing spectacular but plenty of good options if you just want to have a beer or two without having to travel.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  14. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

13 Coins has a decent taplist, good food and open 24/7. Right across from the airport, too.

Sharp's (what I meant when I said Roasters earlier) has pfriem, Boneyard and Fremont on tap right now. Much better options than 13 Coins.

ch3no2 likes this.
  15. ch3no2

ch3no2 Crusader (422) Nov 19, 2007 Washington
    Society

I work at the airport and most people call it Roasters. Haven't been to 13 Coins in several years but I like it.

There are a few good places in Burien too, but I think most of them close around 10 or 11, so not much help for someone who gets in at 10.

16. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

I normally recommend Pit Stop and Elliot Bay in Burien, but yeah, that 10pm arrival time prevented that.

17. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

13 Coins is very convenient for sure, but I would not call the taplist there decent. The wife and I were there just over a week ago for a Mother's Day family dinner gathering, and my recollection was that they had things like Manny's, Mac and Jack and Elysian space dust on draft. I want to say they had around 8 or 9 craft offerings, and the selection was so mundane I went with wine by the glass with the meal. We also did not feel the food was all that great (my sister-in-law sent back her crab cake order), and our feeling was that prices there were very high for what was on offer (my wife called our heavy with cream sauce pasta dishes Spaghetti Factory quality food, but at Morton's prices - a slight exaggeration, but you get the point).

We all agreed that next time we're in the area and want to go out we'll head over to Wally's Chowder House in Des Moines instead (better food, better prices and a considerably better taplist). Unfortunately, Wally's is about 5 miles from the airport, and so probably a bit too far away for the OP to get to very readily from the airport.

(Quick Edit: Was not familiar with Sharps Roasthouse, but after looking at the online tap list, I would say go there. Their tap selection is much better than what one can find at 13 Coins, and is actually pretty similar to what one can find on offer at Wally's. Given the convenient location as well, it appears that's the place to go.)

#17 John_M, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.