Short's Brewing Releases & Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by BeyondDescription, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolhandwuke

coolhandwuke Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2014 Michigan
    Deactivated

I didn't tell anyone how to vote... I was making a case for my beer, just as Sean made a case for Pineapple Pils. I thought it was good fun...I've learned a lot from this experience, and will definitely not say a word to anyone about my beer, should there be a next time. As for the "Mysterious" uptick in votes, It was most likely people who passionately followed the vote, and voted daily. I was getting texts from all over the place saying they were rooting for me, and voting.

2. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Grand Pooh-Bah (3,036) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And yet much of BA had a different opinion than your friends.

3. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

Excellent vote gate will push zima gate off the front page.

4. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

NEVER FORGET

FWIW, my comments about vote-rigging were in jest.

moshea likes this.
  5. AnchorDrops

Hey Joe, will you please can this during the summer and distribute statewide? Thanks!

6. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Grand Pooh-Bah (4,268) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No shit. Less drama, more beer.

ClarkstonMark likes this.
  7. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Maven (1,462) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Had my first I got 5 on it tonight, thoroughly enjoyed it. Very well balanced. Glad it won the fan vote, but hopefully Pineapple Pilsner will make an appearance in the summer sampler pack!

8. Zorak2

Zorak2 Devotee (329) Nov 5, 2016 Michigan

I dont think they added it to the release schedule yet, but I do know someone on this message board did say look for it later this year.

azurel likes this.
  9. azurel

azurel Initiate (0) May 27, 2016 Michigan

I thought I read that...Thanks.

Wasn't going through 37 pages to find out....Drank my last one this weekend....Will have to stock up next time....

10. AnchorDrops

Tried I Got 5 On It tonight, good beer but like a lot of Shorts IPA's nothing really sets it apart from their other hoppy offerings.

Melt My Brain is definitely more balanced this year, not as lime forward (not that that was a bad thing) and definitely doesn't taste like Zima. :wink: I will definitely be stocking up on this, particularly if it makes it into cans.

MIbeer27, azurel and JohnnyHopps like this.
  11. TurboBrew

TurboBrew Initiate (0) May 13, 2012 Michigan

I tried I got 5 on it tonight .. its definitly an excellent IPA with a nice rounded malt profile. Tastes like huma with more hop variety.

I also got a 6 of melt my brain which Ive had at the pub and at Shorts fest a year or two ago. This years seems more wheat(y) and definitely rides the witbier line with much coriander.. more than I remember. Its still so great! I swear theres more coriander and spiciness to it vs years past tho !

Oh and reading pages past I still want that pineapple pilsner. Im homebrewing a pils next week... maybe Ill get some pineapple in it... Hoping to see this beer in a 6 pk or variety pack in '17.

#1471 TurboBrew, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Tripel_Threat likes this.
  12. azurel

azurel Initiate (0) May 27, 2016 Michigan

Had a can of it tonight....It's weird unlike anything I've had....At first I wasn't sure about it...by the time I finished the can I was pretty sure Im gonna have to have more....Will be a great beer for the hot weather...

So people on FB said to try it over ice with a shot of gin....sounds pretty good

TurboBrew likes this.
  13. Lazhal

Lazhal Pooh-Bah (1,866) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Finally picked up sixer of Slurm. Definitely not shorts best ipa, but glad to get to try their take on the style.

As the abundance of this style continues to increase locally, hopefully we see some refinement of the style by shorts.

14. Blutz

Blutz Devotee (378) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed Slurm. It was light and citrusy, and very easy to drink for an IPA. No, it doesn't have the mouthfeel or juiciness of other beers of the NE style, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I have a feeling if Slurm was released as simply an IPA, people would be much more akin to appreciating it for what it is.

15. AnchorDrops

Totally agree. And I typically don't care much for the hoppy offerings from Shorts.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  16. cl3

cl3 Savant (1,220) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I thought Slurm ranked up among the top Short's IPA's I've ever had. I wish I had been able to find more than the 2 singles I grabbed, while I was back home in the U.P., last week.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  17. IntlDrainageCommission

IntlDrainageCommission Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2015 Australia

to add to the entertaining mix of opinions on Slurm, I thought it was okay. Wasn't great, but certainly wasn't bad. I think I liked it more in retrospect considering it followed what I felt was probably the worst IPA by Short's I've tried in a while, Ermagerdness, which I found really disappointing this year. I've Got
    Five On It is better than Slurm or Ermagerdness, but count me in the camp of people that wish Pineapple Pilsner would have won.
    No one's gone this far down the conspiracy hole yet, but let's be real, it's not very hard to use a VPN browser extension to flood a poll...

JohnnyHopps and AnchorDrops like this.
  18. Tripel_Threat

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Spotted in the wild, Busch's in Livonia:

[​IMG]

Citra Local's

[​IMG]

Exeter, sour ale with strawberry and lemon. Also, as you can see, Goodnight Bodacious and Cat's Pajamas. Slurm still available in the cold room.

So, with this and MMB and I Got 5 On It, that's, well, 5 new releases in the last week.

Finally got to try Slurm myself from the crowler I picked up a week ago. It was great in it's own way, but Step Into the Haze had a fuller feel to it. I imagine there'll be some tinkering with the recipe,but I agree, call it an IPA and it'd make everyone happy.

I wouldn't give Luke too much of a hard time, and I'm the guy who wrote a whole damned essay on why we should vote Pineapple Pilsner. A brewpub near me did a Name the Ale contest and my entry was one of the finalists. I put it out on FB, and my family and friends did the rest. If I fell behind, my wife whipped people up to vote. You could see the other contestants did the same thing. And I'm pretty sure that's what happened here.
    So, as much as I wanted some Pineapple Pilsner (although if I had my choice, yer asses would be drinking Richard in the Dirt right now) I'm still getting some 5 and I'm gonna enjoy the shit out of it. And I'm gonna get some MMB and tell my wife it's for her because I know she loves it even though I'm totally gonna drink half of it.

Zorak2 likes this.
  19. fromer

fromer Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2014 Michigan

Was Melt My Brain 3.8% last year? I thought last it was 6-7%?

20. Tripel_Threat

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The no-tonic version is 6% and the gin-barrel (private Stache) version is 7%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.