You're standing in a release line when.....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by EastHarris, May 31, 2017.

?

What do you do in this situation?

1. Stay in your spot and forget that he is behind you for the time being.

66.7%
  2. Go back and get in line with him, it's just beer.

15.0%
  3. Talk over the crowd like you're standing next to him.

18.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

D. I look around and say to myself, "What the hell is going on here today?" (True story. Darkness Day at the bottle shop, 12/08/2015.)

LeRose, dental and Harrison8 like this.
  2. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Pooh-Bah (1,912) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

At this point, it has to be ridiculously special for me to care, or this is all that's pouring and I need more beer. Otherwise.
    Nope.

utopiajane likes this.
  3. bleakies

bleakies Maven (1,319) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Beer is ultimately about social relationships and conviviality, so until I get my beer leave me the hell alone.

4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Only those trapped in 2015.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

If that is the case then there must be a time warp vortex in Southeastern PA. Below is a post that somebody made yesterday for this weeks Tired Hands can release:

“A lot longer line today than expected. Guessing 150-200. I thought this would be like last summer's chill releases where the line never left the Ferm lot...but no. Maybe those days are over.”

I sure hope that something can be done about this time warp vortex so from a craft beer perspective we can enter 2017.:astonished:

Cheers!

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  6. JISurfer

JISurfer Pooh-Bah (2,982) Dec 10, 2002 Utah
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Chalk this up as problems we don't have in Hawai'i

DudeBeerYaBro and dcotom like this.
  7. DudeBeerYaBro

DudeBeerYaBro Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 California
    Trader

To everyone who doesn't stand in line for beer, because "it's just beer": I stand in line for beer precisely because it is beer. I hate that BA released that list at the beginning of the year stating no one should wait in lines. Go ahead and wait in lines-- just don't kidnap anyone and force them to wait in a line if they don't want to be there.

Can't we all just accept that some people are willing to stand in line, while some people are not. No need to take shots at the person's sensibilities or the product they desire.

I won't stand in line for roller coasters, but, as it turns out, lots of people do, and they aren't idiot- time-wasters, they have made an internal calculation wherein they determined that the value of the product / experience outweighs the burdensome slog of uninspired time passage (or their significant other wanted to go and he/she just wanted to get laid). Either way....

That being said, everyone is a hypocrite, including myself, so I will take one cheap shot: I find some humor in people who think that beer is so unimportant as to not warrant the expenditure of time, yet post comments in a beer specific forum. I mean, we are all beer nerds to some extent, albeit with different levels of tolerance for boredom I guess....

utopiajane, smi69, LeRose and 8 others like this.
  8. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Pooh-Bah (2,629) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's a good point. Look how long we wait in line for things we don't enjoy- DMV, Post Office, airport security, etc., at least you are around like minded people in a beer release line.

9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,771) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't wait in line, but I feel like people saying "it's just beer" are underselling an element of craft beer. Folks will say "it's just beer", but then talk about the grails, and whales of the community. Why is one so much better? Why are you trading away a box full of bottles for one in return? Doesn't seem like it's just beer for you.

I believe it's poor etiquette for folks to continue and continue and continue to berate folks waiting in line, and yet there is little to no trade shaming for folks forking over beer worth a dozen times what they'll receive in return.

I won't wait in line to buy your beer. I won't do a lopsided trade to try your beer. But if others want to do it - go for it. It's your beer, money, and time. I'll do as I please with my beer, money, and time as well.

BJB13 and DudeBeerYaBro like this.
  10. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

My wife's good friend Liz wryly says, You know how I hate people, and they're everywhere these days!" He should stay put, keep his head down and act like someone else.........Nah, just say hello and see ya later.

TonyLema1 likes this.
  11. tanis38

tanis38 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2013 Florida

If I knew and liked them enough to want to stand next to them to talk, then they would have already been in line with me when I got there because we would have gone together.

12. DudeBeerYaBro

DudeBeerYaBro Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 California
    Trader

But to answer the actual question...most people would probably be cool with holding your spot while you chatted for a few minutes. But since that feels like a cop out answer---- screw 'em, hold your spot...after all, THIS IS BEER we are talking about.

13. thuey

thuey Pooh-Bah (1,681) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

You didn't go there to potentially bump into someone you know. You went there for the beer.

I kinda feel like those who voted leave your spot, go back and hang have actually never been to a release before.

14. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

Stay in line. Tell him you'll meet him inside after, and have a beer waiting for him after he buys his stuff.

BJB13 likes this.
  15. raczkowski

raczkowski Initiate (0) May 16, 2011 Florida
    Trader

I've met plenty of my friends who weren't in line at the same time as me. Once your spot is established, you know where you stand and very small chance, the people in front of you and behind you aren't gonna give you grief if you leave for a minute to go to bathroom, run to car,or go talk to a friend. I think as long as you go talk and both get back in same spot you "earned", there aren't any problems with leaving for a couple minutes to go chat.

16. RolandStJude

RolandStJude Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana

People will stand in line for all kinds of things. I have friends who travel to cities without any plans and look for long lines to get in, figuring that those are the restaurants, donut shops, ice cream shops, or concerts most worth going to. I plan things out a little more than they do but if I hear that something is the best Philly cheese steak, secret nightclub, or barrel aged stout in I don't mind waiting in line, especially if I'm with a friend or it's a friendly group. People go to theme parks knowing full well they'll spend hours in line for a two-minute ride.

A recent example, the local apple orchard sells apple cinnamon donuts in the Fall. It opened on Friday morning for four hours for National Donut Day. People were there before 6 a.m. for the 7 a.m. opening because the first hundred people got a free dozen donuts, and there was about an hour long line most of the time it was open. People waiting an hour for doughnuts which they can easily walk in and get any day of the the week two months from now (or go across town and get a slightly lesser version of right now), made me realize that our hobby/obsession isn't that unusual.

Oh, and my answer was stay in line. Any friend also in line will understand the deal and accept "let's meet up inside/after."

17. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Zealot (749) Dec 31, 2015 New York

That's an easy question - probably the easiest thing I'll do all day....

Say Hi - and stay in your spot. If he is a friend and more importantly another beer dork - he'll completely understand.

RolandStJude likes this.
  18. RonaldWilsonReagan

RonaldWilsonReagan Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2015 California

Look bewildered. Glance back over your shoulder as if the person they're calling is someone else behind you. Pretend you've never seen the person. Go back to what you were doing.

RolandStJude likes this.
  19. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Pooh-Bah (2,098) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't mind standing in line for a few hrs on a rare occasion. It's almost always with friends and were cutting up and questioning each other's manhood most of the time ... basically exactly what we would be doing if we were hanging out somewhere else.

There's a lot of stuff I do find annoying at releases like muling, setting up chairs and disappearing and people getting trashed (the guy that's stumbling sideways at a 10am release).

All that being said, it's typically not a bad way to spend a few hours with some of my friends, who are also interested in drinking good beer.

Cheers

20. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I guess it depends on people in line around me, I would ask if they are cool if my buddy joins me, if I get good feedback then cool, wave to friend to move up. If I get some nasty looks I would wave to buddy and say lets talk after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.