Imperial Organic Yeast

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by tfischl, Nov 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honkey

honkey Maven (1,326) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Trader

I used the strains in NEIPA's and in dry hopped sours. I used these strains in NEIPA's and dry hopped sours. I loved each beer, but the Citrus strain is not what I would consider a typical flavor profile for NEIPA's. I would say it's more in line with a very lightly funky saison strain. If someone handed me a NEIPA brewed with it and all I knew was that it was supposed to be that style, I'd think they were crazy, but the beer was good... Just something entirely different.

jclaine likes this.
  2. Lukass

Lukass Pooh-Bah (2,807) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Bringing this one back.. giving some updates on the A24 Dry Hop. They say 74-78% attenuation on their site, but I just bottled a cascade IPA and got a whopping 88% AA with it. 1.068 down to 1.009. Mashed at around 150F, and fermented on the high end around 72-74. Samples are fruity and juicy, with very low flocculation. No funk whatsoever from the Citrus strain. I'd say this is a great strain to use for a hazy NEIPA

#22 Lukass, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thank you so much for your post!!

I have a draft recipe for an Alchemist Focal Banger type beer: I call it Jack's Focal Point Ale.

I am leery about using a Conan type yeast strain since lots of folks report that for first use they obtain poor attenuation for their strains. I 'penciled in' using A24 Dry Hop strain for this batch with the hope that it would perform 'better' than a Conan strain would. Your post 'sealed the deal' here.

Thanks again!!

Cheers!

@telejunkie

Lukass likes this.
  4. Lukass

Pooh-Bah Society

Go for it! Although my review for this strain was based off of samples at bottling so I'll have to report back in a few weeks after bottle conditioning. Wish I could've kegged this one but the keg was full...

I've never brewed with any Conan or Vermont ale strains (only us-05/Chico for IPAs in the past) so take that for what it's worth, but I think you'll be impressed by it.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  5. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Please do.

I will not be brewing my beer until next fall but if I remember I will report back.

Cheers!

Lukass likes this.
  6. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

What did you think of your beer after a few weeks of conditioning? I'm gearing up to use the A24 next week.

7. Lukass

Pooh-Bah Society

Love it! I'm actually using it again in a pale ale in a few days. The decription on their website is pretty much spot on. Definitely a hazy strain though so don't expect to get a really clear beer from it.

Jesse14 likes this.
  8. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Pundit (993) Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts

Any easy way to get this stuff out of the can. Since the can reads "store cold, open cold" I was nervous to shake it up. I ended up scooping it out with a sanitized spoon.

Lukass likes this.
  9. Lukass

Pooh-Bah Society

So I brewed another beer with the A24 strain. Built up a healthy culture on a stir plate, and pitched into a 1.056 og citra pale ale 4 days ago. Fermented around 68F. Fermentation has slowed, and it's sitting at 1.004 at the moment. Samples smell like the Tropicana orange/peach/Mango juice. Still tastes very young/buttery but the aroma is something else. Can't believe the attenuation on this strain!

Jesse14 likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

What was your grain bill for this beer? Did your other beer finish this low? Did the other beer taste too thin?

Cheers!

11. Lukass

Pooh-Bah Society

Mostly 2-row, touch of crystal and Cara pils. This was my first time doing an extended mash. I mashed at lunchtime and then collected the Wort around 5 so I'm sure it was very fermentable by then. Maybe that's why? Mouthfeel was still great on the IPA that finished around 1.008 so I'm hoping that's the case with this one!

frozyn and JackHorzempa like this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

It makes sense to me that an extended mash would result in a very fermentable wort.

Thanks for that clarification.

Cheers!

Lukass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.