El Catador Club 7th Edition

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by atothesquiz, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesbourne

wesbourne Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2013 Florida

Looks like lottery has already started, 2-3 people who I know who previously wanted in all got requests this round but both aren't sure if they still want in....

2. Lapalou

Lapalou Pundit (856) Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Trader

originally El cat was one of the only ways to get quality ba beers. That has obviously changed. However the ba beers at Ccb are still fantastic and very well made. They hold up over time. For the cost it's worth it if you like drinking great ba beers. If it's for trading purposes it's hit or miss for value.

However the beer scene is still as crazy as ever where the hype has people waiting 10 hours outside of Wakefield for non ba stouts. Just like when it was cool to be on the waiting list for El cat, now people are getting in and rejecting.

To each his own, everyone has to decide their priorities.

evilcatfish, djben and ahroun like this.
  3. JustinLyntz

JustinLyntz Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Florida

Yep, finally got my email today after entering the lottery the first day they started it.

ahroun likes this.
  4. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Maven (1,294) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

I'm pretty sure Amplitude was an extra in round 1 not 2. I know I brought one to Huna Day 2014, the same one where they had all the extra round 1 bottles for sale. And I believe this happened prior to Rum Caffe being released, which was the first bottle of round 2.

5. graaaypes

graaaypes Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2016 Florida

Gonna join?

6. timeyouwontgetback

timeyouwontgetback Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2015 Florida

Looks like they either fucked up again, or membership is wide open

Edit: I'm an idiot. I got in.

7. djben

djben Devotee (305) Sep 4, 2013 Florida

You're off by a good bit.

People were proudly arriving at 10PM the night before - 14 hour wait.

I have too much beer in the queue so I let my El Cat lapse this round.

8. wesbourne

A LOT of people dropped out. I almost did for the same reason as Ben (and because it was same week as Cycle weekday where I knew exactly what sort of BA goodness the $160 would get me). Most of the people I have known with double bottle memberships, husband and wife double bottle memberships have all dropped out completely or are down to a single this round. Don't know if it was the 3,000 memberships, quality of this round or the increase in frequency coming into play but I'd be willing to bed this round going forward it may be much easier to get into.

9. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

I get that places like Cycle and Angry Chair are offering great stuff and Cycle you don't really have to wait in line super early anymore, but CCB is still putting out great beers for el cat. I don't really understand why the el cat beers don't get the respect they deserve. I know there are more memberships and it's easier to get in and in comparison they aren't far and away the greatest beers ever anymore because of the competition locally and nationally, but they are all still really great beers every round.

In conclusion to this whole vomit of thoughts, to me it's worth the money for 5 great bottles and not having to stand in line or make it to Cycle on a random week day. But I also drink all of my bottles so I don't care about trade value.

10. ahroun

ahroun Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2003 Florida

I agree with pretty much everything you said right down to drinking the bottles and not caring about trade value. Last week I made it to Cycle for Fire Dog and that was it. Just logistics of my personal schedule and where I live. On the other hand, my El Cat beers patiently wait for me to go get them. That in and of itself continues to be one of the biggest selling points for me.

11. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

You might be right. Just checked my email and bottle sales for Amplitude was January 15, 2014. Not sure if that was round 1 or 2.

12. DrinksAlone

DrinksAlone Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2017 Florida
    Trader

I'm pretty pumped that I was finally able to secure a lottery spot! Hope it is worth the $162!!

13. darkwing1

darkwing1 Zealot (550) May 13, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I just looked back at my El Cat emails and it looks like Round 2 started August 4, 2014. So, Amplitude was Round 1. I also came across two additional extra bottle purchases offered in Round 2. There was a lottery for a 2014 Huna as well as an option to buy up to 4 additional 2015 Huna's in person (or up to 2 if your trustee was picking up) a week or so after Huna day 2015.

14. CaptainFleeker

Trader

Ah, the good old days. I really wish they would bring this perk back. Especially for out of state members who don't want to drop $1000 on airfare and hotels. Although given how long Huna tix were available this year I don't see them cannibalizing their festival ticket sales, which I'm sure they make a fair amount on that event.

15. Taylor910

Taylor910 Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2014 Florida

Do you mind explaining what made you think something was wrong? I've been waiting since the first lottery and haven't received anything, just curious as I wait to be disappointed yet again.

Anyone else waiting unsuccessfully since the first lottery? I need some company.

16. NDogg44

NDogg44 Zealot (684) Oct 21, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Both my wife and I have been in it since the first lottery - misery loves company, I guess.

17. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Savant (1,170) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

The 4 bottles was to make up for Hunapocalypse

18. CaptainFleeker

Trader

Seeing Rum BA Hunahpu as the Growler Tuesday offering today I thought I'd go back and compare the El Catador bottles vs. Growler Tuesday offerings the last six months. I understand scale is an important factor and it just isn't possible to brew enough to fill 3000 bottles. I also understand not all the Growler Tuesday offerings are BA which is a requirement for El Catador. However, as an out of state El Catador member it's tough seeing some of these not included.

Some of the Growler Tuesday offerings last 6 months:

• Rum and Whiskey Maple Pecan Imperial Stout
    • Rye Whiskey Penultimate Push
    • Brandy BA Bolita
    • Xquic (Maple Hunahpu)
    • Marshmallow Hunahpu
    • Rum BA Hunahpu

El Catador bottles during the same time frame:

• Floridablanca
    • Hard Sauce
    • Absolutely OK
    • Look To The Cookie
    • Bourbon BA Penultimate Push
    • Dis Legomenon
    • Argumentum ad Poplum
    FWIW I'm very happy with El Catador and the experimentation theme the club has. The above is just an observation.

19. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2017 Florida
    Trader

I cant lie. Comparing those list burns pretty bad.

20. wesbourne

Can't say Im' not feeling the same way.... A Round with 1/2 of these offerings would be a killer or the offering to buy them / win at auction.

AltonGriese and LennyRubio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.