2017 3-Way

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by sharpski, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Any reason why?

2. Aleforme

Aleforme Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2008 Washington

I'm in the same boat. I still much prefer our NW/WC style IPAs over this. While this year's 3-Way is a great beer, I'm kind over the local Hazy NE style craze.

Just curious, has anyone else had a TON of large sediment/floaties in there cans? I bought a 4-pack and the two I've tried have had a ton of larger chuncky particles in them. More than any other beer I've tried.

3. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

No floaties, at least not ones that I could potentially see through the turbid chicken soup bombs.

4. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

The hype train sure got to me on this current version of 3-Way. First off, there is plenty of stock throughout areas surrounding the Seattle core. In fact, there are places selling no-limit quantities as low as $9.99 a 4-pack (dated May 31st 2017). So, hearing/seeing places limiting customers at 2-single cans per person; a single 4-pack limit, or two 4-pack limits, etc shouldn't worry folks too much. I sure hope these places simply received a limited supply and not using this tactic as a marketing ploy. Probably a little bit of both.

Yes, we all have different opinions and palates. But I will likely not purchase anymore after finishing off the case I purchased. In my opinion, this 3-way was pretty good. It definitely resembles more Fort George than Rueben's or Great Notion. In fact, I've had better from Reuben's, Great Notion, Skookum, Urban Family, Structures, Cloudburst, and Claim 52 when referring to the juicy hazy style. I simply thought there was a little too much bite (bitter oniony rye flavors) vs a softer juicier profile. Again, I was expecting a different tasting drink, but that doesn't mean the 2017 3-Way is a bad product.

As far as comparing Fort George's 3-Way to any of the New England style IPA's, it's not even close!

5. derftron

derftron Pooh-Bah (1,639) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

This is probably why I really like it.

vurt, JasonJYoung and Aleforme like this.
  6. Aleforme

Aleforme Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2008 Washington

Huh, maybe my 4-Pack just came from the "bottom of the barrel". It was full of big chunks and smaller sediment. Coated to entire bottom of a pint glass.

7. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Cans are sold out everywhere I've looked. Send more kthxbye.

BBThunderbolt and 66jzmstr like this.
  8. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Lol, yea this will definitely appeal to those seeking a more West Coast/PNW flavor. Just opened another can and it is tasty indeed.

@distantmantra , don't cringe but have you looked at any Total Wines? Their online search inventory can be fairly accurate on occassion. They had a bunch yesterday and some stock this morning. In particular, the Total Wines south of Seattle had quite a bit. Not sure if its worth your drive south starting in Tuckwilla, WA.

#108 JasonJYoung, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  9. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Testify, brother.

10. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's what I love about this beer, it's a "one-off" that gets distributed for a couple months.

11. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Oh I know, this is just very different from every prior release of 3-Way. Every store I've talked to in the Seattle metro said they received way less than they expected and sold out in hours. Sounds like Portland and other parts of Oregon are saturated with cans in comparison.

sharpski likes this.
  12. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

FTFY:slight_smile:

sharpski and 66jzmstr like this.
  13. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Not so sure about that. Salem's came and went in a couple days. Some places there that ordered a lot got little or none. Granted, I haven't scoured Portland, but I checked a few of the usual suspects (and some of the unusual ones) tonight, and came up empty. YMMV. I just hope there's another batch soon, 'cause my stash is running low.

distantmantra likes this.
  14. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

I actually stopped at the Federal Way which said they had some online but were totally sold out. Same thing at Tukwila.

I have two cans left, just amazing how it's gone everywhere.

15. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's on tap so many places in town, I really haven't kept track of the can supply. Last time I checked, John's still had a decent supply (and also had it on tap), and there was still plenty at NW Growlers. I honestly didn't notice if there were still cans available at the MofC, Bailey's or Tin Bucket during recent visits... because as I mentioned, it seems to be on tap virtually everywhere.

16. derftron

derftron Pooh-Bah (1,639) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

One New Seasons here in PDX sold their 1st allotment in 3 days last week.

A different New Seasons 5 miles away probably has a 200 can display near the deli. Seems like some of the well known beer spots are drying up, but there are tons of cans at random markets like Fred Meyer

17. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Fred Mayer isn't random. They sell a lot of Fort George beer, including seasonals like Magnanimous, Fresh IPA, and yes, 3-Way.

18. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

We don't get Fort George at Fred Meyer in WA. Seems to be here they distribute to Whole Foods, PCC, Total Wine and dedicated bottle shops.

I think a good example of how limited the first shipment to WA was that Beer Junction limited it to two cans per person. More is on the way this week, though.

#118 distantmantra, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    66jzmstr likes this.
  19. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Pundit (836) Jul 17, 2005 Washington

At least on the Eastside, cans came in on Friday early afternoon, and the three places I contacted sold out in hours.

20. NedStarkravingmad

NedStarkravingmad Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2015 Washington

Since misery loves company, grocery stores in Vancouver always have Vortex and previously/sometimes have had 1811, big guns, cavatica, fresh, quick wit, sunrise, overdub, magnanimous, and plaid, but don't seem to be on the list for 3-way.

Maybe they're saving it for you Seattleites? Hope you all end up with plenty, since we at least have had it on tap at some places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.