WARNING: If You Do Not Support Your LHBS It Will Close.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by plaztikjezuz, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plaztikjezuz

plaztikjezuz Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2004 Michigan

I think the title pretty much sums it up in the business world.

The industry is in the middle of a slow down and if you like having a local homebrew show you need to shop there.

I know they do not always have what you want when you get a hair up you butt and just want to brew with little notice.

But only buying 50 lbs sacks of grain from us will in the long run bite you in the butt when your local shop closes for lack of support.

While I do not have a problem with many of the cheaper online shops (More Beer/Adventures). I do have a problem with shops owned by AB InBev. They are not a friend to the craft beer world and have little use for homebrewers who do not buy their products.

MrOH, jlordi12, telejunkie and 5 others like this.
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I would definitely buy more from my LHBS if they offered any added value for the price, like brewing knowledge beyond the most basic, or even basic knowledge that's generally correct. Sadly, mine does not, and most of the ones I have visited don't.

When I do visit my LHBS, more often than not I hear some newbie getting terrible advice. Sometimes it's possible to join the conversation and help, but it can be pretty awkward. There's only so many times you can take hearing "Don't ever use an aluminum kettle" or "We don't have Caramunich, but regular Munich is basically the same thing."

That said, there are some very good LHBSs. If I lived closer to Philly, I would but a lot from Keystone. I would hazard a guess that yours is a good one also, given your interest in sharing on the forum.

3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

That's funny and tragic all at the same time. The guys at mine are nice, to be sure, but really only versed in the basics, as you've said.

Only ever go in to buy grain, as I don't brew enough to justify buying by the 55 lb. sack and having my own mill. Hops I get from HopsDirect because of their price and because I like being able to choose from a variety of whole leaf. Yeast/microbes I mostly culture myself.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  4. crcostel

crcostel Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2006 Illinois

What is happening with LHBS mirrors the general economy. Brick and Mortar stores cannot compete on price with the internet megastores. To survive they need to provide knowledge, service and/or freshness.

If your store has it, then by all means patronize your LHBS. If it doesnt than nothing can keep it afloat.

5. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Initiate (0) May 29, 2011 Florida

I would go to my local homebrew shop if:

1. It was closer to my house (its 35 mins away)
    2. They had their beers on tap for tasting (for donations) or just samples
    and
    3. Some lively & technical discussion about brewing.

This would make the higher price worthwhile. But, to me, the drive is not worth it. Convenience factor wins out and I order my ingredients online at Farm House Brewing Supply or More Beer.

6. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Crusader (495) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

I get my advice here and my supplies there. I do very little online, usually only things my local shop doesn't have. Like flaked wheat... But their yeast varieties aren't very good, I may have to reach out to other places for that if I want certain specialty strains.

7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If it weren't for my LHBS I wouldn't brew.

8. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

I impulse buy at lhbs. I buy on line and thru friends here and there.
    I believe brew hut in Denver and others like it will continue because of population nearby and generally a informative, fun and supremacy full of choices of home brew product.

plaztikjezuz and SFACRKnight like this.
  9. Witherby

Witherby Crusader (486) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I almost never buy my ingredients online unless it is something obscure because shipping seems to eat up any savings.

My LHBS is only 10 minutes from my house but I hate shopping there because of the poor selection and surly owner. Fortunately I have another LHBS near my work and another one on my way home from work.

As for info, I get that from books and magazines and the internet. Sure seems like a lot of people at these stores don't take advantage of any of those resources, though. How do people that live and breathe homebrewing have so little intellectual curiosity?

FeDUBBELFIST and PapaGoose03 like this.
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Have you been since they put in the meeting and classrooms? They have a full hood and do demos on a ruby street system now.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  11. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yes, the hobby has slowed down, more shops are closing than opening. Brew more often, support your local shop if you like it well enough.

@plaztikjezuz where is you shop in MI, roughly?

I buy mostly from AiH, some from the small shop in S. Lyon.

12. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Hopefully I will return next year. 2 years ago we dropped in for supplies and the choices was overwhelming. Staff was super friendly. If it was not a double brew day I could have stayed a long time.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  13. csurowiec

csurowiec Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

I support my LHBS. It is only about 5 miles from my house. They are well stocked and the knowledge is decent. The only thing I have purchased online is kegs because AIH was running a deal once on buying multiple kegs and the local store couldn't even come close.
    I also try to help the store by volunteering my time to do classes in the store. Hopefully that helps to bring in more customers.

FeDUBBELFIST and Tebuken like this.
  14. Tebuken

Tebuken Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

Really?. Is it real that homebrewing activity is declining in USA? . Here in Argentina is a terrible BOOM !! these days.

15. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

This is true, and has been covered in Zymurgy, and at HomebrewCon that is going on now. The boom in Latin America is known. Do you know that the AHA has started a Spanish translation of Zymurgy online?

16. Tebuken

Didn´t know that.

17. Buck89

Buck89 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,718) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have a great (IMO) LHBS about 15 minutes away. They're a combined gardening/brewing store and do both very well. I buy almost everything there except hops, which I prefer to get from Farmhouse or Yakima.

18. JrGtr

JrGtr Pooh-Bah (1,689) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I generally support my LHBS. Their prices aren't the best, but they're convenient and they usually have good advice.
    Grain by the pound is $2.00, by the sack pretty much averages to online, when you factor in shipping ($50 - $60, depending on variety)
    HOps are a bit pricey, $6 an ounce or so, they usually have a good selection, but yeast is pretty well priced, generally in good shape, though they don't always have the more obscure strains.
    Equipment is mostly fairly priced, and they but and sell used stuff.

19. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

$6 an ounce for common varieties? WTF.

20. Tebuken

1 LB Pilsen 2row malt 50 cents u$s
    1 oz Cascades 7% AA 1 u$s

Don´t think come to live here is a good idea, unless you think you can accustom to live in the middle of a giant clutter,LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.