ATL Growler prices

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by crunkchiggin2002, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdodd12

gdodd12 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 Georgia

Blind Murphy. But Ale Yeah Roswell are all cheaper than bar prices.

2. gdodd12

3. bctdi

bctdi Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2008 Georgia

I couldn't agree more with the op. When I tried growlers a few times and realized I was getting less beer for more money than a sixer, plus the added expense of having to purchase only their growler in addition to the fact that the freshness is gone after you open it was enough right there to keep me away from growlers. When I was visiting Denver, we went to Dry Dock Brewing, who sold growlers for much less than a sixer and people were constantly coming in to fill up while we were there. Here in GA due to stupid laws , that can't happen , so retailers jumped on the bandwagon and set the prices at a premium over bottled beer for whatever reason. I don't like comparing growler prices to bar prices because you are taking the growler home to drink, not getting served by a wait staff in a nice atmoshere with all the overhead that a bar has to pay for, so growler prices should be actually lower than bottled beer prices because kegs are cheaper per ounce for retailers to buy than bottled beer. I can understand if it was some rare beer that I couldn't get otherwise, but that aside I think that growlers suck in the local environment here in GA due to a bunch of reasons that other states do not have to contend with. I will stick with my 8.99 sixer of SW ipa rather than pay 9.99 for 5 and 1/3 of the same beer that was oxygenated when filled and will go bad unless I drink it all in one sitting.

4. Mavajo

Mavajo Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2007 Georgia

The only reason I ever buy growlers is if the beer isn't bottled. The occasional exception is for an affordable beer that's noticeably better at its absolute freshest, such as Sweetwater IPA, etc.

I have no idea why someone would buy a growler of Southern Tier Choklat, etc.

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

Yeah, I'll pick up some SW IPA or something on draft because I know it's fresh at HopCity or Whole Foods.

I'll get randomness here and there. I actually LIKE the growler format, but I think the breweries should be able to fill and sell at their locations too. The laws make the growler prices higher, and with that people will wake up and say forget it and go back to buying bottles when they can.

I wasn't aware of that about Moondogs... The guy in there the ONE time I went, was such an asshole to me and my wife, that I couldn't wait to get out of there. I bought a groupon deal they had, my wife did too. We bought beer to take to people in another state for a wedding. He bitched, and bitched about how I wasn't suppose to be able to have that groupon, that it was for people in Marietta only, that I was ripping his off, that I got 4 growlers filled for $40 bucks, but it was $90 worth of beer, and yadda yadda. He short filled everyone of them, didn't even let the foam get to the top, and was flat out rude. Insisted that I won't be back because I don't live close and that was their only reason for doing a groupon deal.. I mean, who the hell does that? I wasn't wearing a groupon shirt, be mad at them, not me. It showed up in my e-mail, douche.

He was right.. I won't be back. Their selection sucks, their prices are the highest I've seen. Their shop is a half-ass set up, the service was atrocious, and he's right.. It's too far for me to drive up there to get pissed off everytime. I frequently pass through town there, and would have been back. Past the groupon deal, which wasn't bad, and they limited what you could get, the place is a shit show. I tossed my Moondog growlers in the trash when they were empty.

MagicJeff and LilBilly666 like this.
  6. Mavajo

Mavajo Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2007 Georgia

I've heard mostly bad things about Moondogs.

LilBilly666 likes this.
  7. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Pundit (995) Sep 15, 2007 Georgia

The owners of Moondogs came to the first Ale Alpharetta event to pimp their store. They made sure to sit and drink the beer other people had brought. What did they (2 people) bring? Not a god damn thing. Have they been back since to bring something to share? Nope.

That long with their insanely high prices and efforts to change the laws to favor themselves instead of consumers means I will never set foot in their stores.

LilBilly666 and bhalter8 like this.
  8. FATC1TY

Pooh-Bah

So I guess the apparent dislike for Moondogs is pretty much across the board.

Obviously they've opened their shops in "blackholes" in terms of there being anything for craft beer, and thats the reason the sheep are taken to the butcher, so to speak.

9. crunkchiggin2002

crunkchiggin2002 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 Georgia

FWIW, stopped by Whole Foods on Ponce and got a fill of SW IPA for $7 on my way to Braves game yesterday. Somebody gets it. Too bad it's not more widespread.

10. gdodd12

A new Growler store is opening up in Smyrna area. Should hopefully push them out.

11. StoutishDan

StoutishDan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Georgia

Wow, I'm glad I read this Forum. I was thinking about going to Moondogs - thinking. I've never actually seen the benefit in Growlers, though. You buy a six pack of 12 ounces with 72 oz total and spend as little as $8, but shell out $15 for 64 oz of tapped beer.

Not worth it. I know beer tastes better on tap, but not that much better in my experience.

12. gdodd12

Honestly, it all depends. I gave my Lagunitas IPA example above. This past weekend I got a 32 oz fill of fresh Wipeout IPA for $5. Compared to a 22 oz bomber of unknown freshness for $7+. Some growler prices are worth it and some are a rip off.

13. FATC1TY

Pooh-Bah

I went into a new growler shop in Peachtree City this week.

Prices were ridiculous.... Who the hell pays more than $12 for a 64oz of a local beer you can get literally anywhere in bottles?

Pretty much turned me off on supporting the growler program around Georgia. If it's not draft only, hard to find, or something one off.. Piss on it.

kp and LilBilly666 like this.
  14. joemoore

joemoore Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012

Growler newbie as of today. Litterally knew nothing about the growler trend until I saw them in Whole Foods on Briarcliff this afternoon. Well, now I feel like a fad-hopping sheep. Looked at the growler beers listed and thought "$10 for Dogfish Head 60 Minute? That's cheaper than a 6er because it's more beer!" Of course once I actually thought about what 12*6 equaled I face-palmed, started Googling, and here I am reading this BA thread from other frustrated beer drinkers. Oh well, at least I have a party to take the thing to, and it's good to know that WF can have good prices.

In other news, the growler guy at WF said that another growler store is opening on Briarcliff near WF, across from the Hawaiian joint. Anybody know about that?

15. planetscott

planetscott Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2006 Georgia

16. Boca-X

Boca-X Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

Freshness, availability and in some cases the economics of helping out a local brewer (cash goes directly back into his business)...other than that it is a waste of money but all 3 are very good reasons to buy a growler at an inflated price.

17. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Pundit (995) Sep 15, 2007 Georgia

Well, that would make sense if the brewer could sell directly to the public. That is not an option here. All our growler stores are getting the beer from distributors. The brewers are seeing the same cut of the pie as they would if the beer went to a bar and was sold by the pint.

So while your point is valid in states that are not as fucked up as GA, it does not apply here.

Boca-X likes this.
  18. Boca-X

Boca-X Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

So while your point is valid in states that are not as fucked up as GA, it does not apply here.[/quote]

Yes, you are correct. I'm lucky enough to go to a few local breweries and get it fresh from the tap. I think I would pay a little extra for something I couldn't get locally in a bottle or can? Something I really wanted to try that might be brewed in another state but hard to find. Sounds like your distributors have a monopoly on the beer and can dictate whatever price they choose? Not cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.