Copenhagen Beer Fest 2017 - Boston City Hall Plaza

Discussion in 'New England' started by wilky1, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilky1

wilky1 Crusader (462) Jun 11, 2007 Massachusetts

2. Justin42

Justin42 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

For those who went last year, any thoughts on which session to pick? Live and work in the city, so can get to any of them pretty easily. Thank you!

3. juliolugo

juliolugo Zealot (521) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

I went to the afternoon session last time and enjoyed it.

Not sure of the details on how it will be run this time, but the musical acts varied between each session, so if you're interested in a particular band, that might sway you.

Also, while each brewery brought ~4 beers to the festival, they typically only poured two per session (one more standard offering that was poured at all sessions, and one more limited offering that was unique to each session). They didn't indicate which was for which session, but you could sort of figure out which beer was being poured at which session based on how they were listed when they announced the beers (I was about 80% correct in what I thought would be poured at the afternoon session). Another factor to consider, although I don't know when the beer list will begin to be announced.

4. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I picked the session with the music I was most into. Brace yourself for all the professional musicians to start posting

It turned out to be the day session which happened to be really nice and sunny out. Beer and heat can sometimes be a tough mix. Lines for the big hitters like Bokkereyder, even Trillium???, sounded like they were long no matter which day.

Zwanze day is on the 23rd this year which could narrow things down

bla211 likes this.
  5. bla211

bla211 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2015 Colorado

Zwanze definitely throws a wrench into that weekend. thanks for the heads up.

6. Rysk22

Rysk22 Savant (1,228) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I won't be attending this year, not a fan of how they ran the beer selection. They posted the master list but then only select beers were available during each session

7. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Zealot (566) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I went to the afternoon session on Saturday. It was pretty great, and while i understand Rysk22, i feel like there were enough good beers at the session that I could always find something i wanted to drink. I also think it's a good session since i had the rest of the day ahead of me to relax and sober up.

8. Justin42

Trader

This has been moved from City Hall Plaza to SoWa Power Station at 540 Harrison Ave, Boston. All sessions are also starting one hour earlier. This is, I believe, the same space where the SoWa market has it's beer garden. Not quite as T accessible as City Hall Plaza, but can't complain since I live in the south end!

9. gclaw4444

Trader

It looks like they havent announced any food vendors, but if people are going in via the Broadway T stop, I highly suggest KO Pies around there. The location change definitely isnt ideal for those taking public transportation, but it's not a bad walk from broadway or tufts.

kuntmissioner likes this.
  10. Justin42

Trader

Good idea. Another public transit option to minimize walking would be to take the SL5 bus from Temple Place, which is a short walk from Park St. T stop. SL5 stops at Berkeley and Washington, just around the corner from the venue.

11. Sinzanasti

Sinzanasti Pundit (758) Apr 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Food per the info page is Roxy's Grilled Cheese, Tasty Burger, Zinneken's Waffles & bBD's

12. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Assuming venue change is partially as a result of selling fewer tickets than anticipated. Three-session pass was too much last year, but I had a great time, and bought tickets for Friday night this year. Hope they sell enough to come back next year.

13. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

If going to KO Pies, I think they are closed on Saturdays

14. woodfinish

woodfinish Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Bokkereyder alone was worth the price of admission last year.

OK, maybe not the VIP price of admission, which was nonsensical last year (nobody that I saw was enforcing pour restrictions) and even moreso this year.

Kind of bummed they moved it from City Hall Plaza. Was great to visit a beer fest with plenty of room to breathe.

15. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Bummer. I can almost see City Hall Plaza from my front door. Wonder why the move

16. j_deer

j_deer Aspirant (215) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

17. gclaw4444

Trader

Oh yea I totally forgot about that, what a stupid time to be closed. Well in that case everyone take broadway to DTX, walk to State, then take the blue line to Maverick and walk to the other KO pies and get some free cider while you're there.

18. Phineasco

Phineasco Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts

Does any know if you can bring a back pack into the festival?

19. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Maven (1,301) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Deactivated

I'd be curious to hear which beer everyone who is going is after. Like a top 3 or 5. I feel like I'm so removed from the beer game (trading, brewery visits, staying in the know). A lot of these places I don't even know about. I'm stoked for Jester King and Fonta Flora and, you know me, I'll be stopping by Oxbow of course.

20. JPCitra

JPCitra Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2017 Massachusetts

The Veil
    Other Half
    Bottle Logic
    Tired Hands
    Cloudwater
    Abnormal

Would be my targets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.