1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Should we re-enable replying to trade posts?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Todd, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drel

Drel Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

There is a specific forum for completed trades to gauge trade value. Re-opening the trade forums to comments is going to, as others have said, increase the level of trolling and unwanted comments on trade posts.... Don't forget "PM'd"

2. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

Got a whole lot of traders with 30+ trades who used to shit on other users trade listings :astonished:

3. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

I say leave it as is. I think the negatives far out weigh any benefit replying would have. Even after reading all the replies on this thread I don't see where a single person actually mentions a significant benefit to allowing replies. Seriously, what is the point?

4. tobelerone

tobelerone Grand Pooh-Bah (4,146) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't really care all that much since I'm pretty much done with the trading game but it does make for some entertaining reading at times!

Ozzylizard, jrnyc and meanmutt like this.
  5. mig100

mig100 Pooh-Bah (2,633) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As others have said... I say make it an option, up to the trader/poster whether or not they allow comments.

Coronaeus likes this.
  6. xedous

xedous Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 California

I think it is easy and quick way to get feedback, not for the trader, but also for people interested in the trade. Being able to reply to references to recent trades is valuable to both parties.

7. valrxman

valrxman Pundit (771) Jun 30, 2010 Florida
    Trader

I've read all the posts pro and con. Lots of good points. Bottom line is we need the feedback both positive and negative. Trolls will always troll and moderators will always moderate. It's time to bring it back.

Elkevjoe and bigda83 like this.
  8. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Savant (1,064) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

Maybe just have a reaction/poll thing for each trade. For example bad trades posted on FB will get a lot of laughter, normal trades will just get likes, amazing trades or rare bottles would get a wow. Reactions/Poll answers can possibly in the future include a trader's reaction history as well.

If it's any specific request or desire to expand the trade one can always PM someone as it stands.

jhavs likes this.
  9. countrypeddler8

countrypeddler8 Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2016 Illinois

No. The current system prevents a public bidding war. Also, no one need some d**k bag telling them their post won't work. They will eventually figure it out on their own … or they won't. It shouldn't bother anyone if someone wants to shoot for the moon over and over, especially if you don't even have their ISO in the first place.

As the Mats would say … no, no, no,no, no

10. BubalooBrewMaster

BubalooBrewMaster Savant (1,122) Feb 24, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

That would be a good start.

11. RuckIt

RuckIt Pundit (940) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

One point which I haven't seen mentioned is the fact that ISO/FT posts will now become threads - constantly active unless the OP remembers to delete / close them. On other sites I can post FT: Fresh Julius, ISO: Fresh Monkish and two months later the thread is still active, being bumped as new people post ISO or reply to previous comments within the thread, regardless if that Julius is still fresh or not, or if I've completed the trade.

The current system leaves the most recent posts on the top of the list, and if one is so inclined, they can easily navigate an entire day's worth of posts without issue. If comments (and their resulting "bumping of threads") are allowed, I see this becoming increasingly more difficult.

+1 to those who suggested entire new forum areas for "$4$" / "Shelfie" and "ISO: RTP" posts - If you separate those from the whale hunter arena (the current ISO/FT forum), I think you'll see new traders feel a lot more comfortable here on the site.

12. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Savant (1,068) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

No. Silence is a reply. If you don't get a beermail reply to your post, that should be all the feedback you need.

There are other forms for asking 'is this reasonable' and re-enabling replies will only open up back and forth commenting that provides no value.

13. BKnarr

BKnarr Pundit (870) Sep 5, 2012 Florida
    Deactivated

This had a tendency to become a shitshow back in the day. It will be a flat out clusterfuck in today's secondary market fueled trading community.

14. gmartinez

gmartinez Devotee (374) Jan 18, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

Yes, let me reply.

15. LloydDobler

LloydDobler Pooh-Bah (2,028) Jul 25, 2014 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Could we bring back replys with the option for the poster to turn off comments? I'm all for this coming back any which way we can get it. I'm sure it will help spring a bit of new life into the trade forums.

Mattybuchs likes this.
  16. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Replies wouldn't bump threads. By default, threads would be ordered by creation time.

Mikexw, gibgink, tony2beers and 8 others like this.
  17. EABbGD

EABbGD Devotee (386) Aug 8, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Bring back comments. Trading was much easier when people got feedback on their posts, especially newer traders.

18. jren

jren Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2014 New Jersey

Yes. I like seeing feedback on ISO:ft so I better understand what stuff is trading for, etc

19. Ready4aHeady

Ready4aHeady Pundit (915) Sep 22, 2013 New York

No, too many buttholes drink beer (including me!)...it was generally more negative than constructive. Now, if I really feel the need to educate someone I PM them....

20. blockdude

blockdude Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2014 California

Yes, I miss the entertaining memes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.