Olive Smell/Flavor, post kegging

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Capslock, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

If raising your temp simultaneously after full krausen, once or twice is probably enough

Capslock likes this.
  2. Capslock

Capslock Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2017

Thanks for the help guys - really appreciate it...the things they don't tell you at beer camp :slight_frown:

3. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Savant (1,125) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

If you want to become the best brewer possible:

1) Brew a lot and learn from all your experiences, and

2) Spend all your free time on forums, and

3) Largely ignore any books written longer than about 2 years ago.

Seriously, the hobby and "rules of thumb" are evolving and flip-flopping so fast, it ain't funny.

SFACRKnight and Capslock like this.
  4. Capslock

Sure - that's the plan. I haven't read a book I honestly have learned everything from forums and youtube videos - thing is a lot of the info on the net is outdated..finding up to date posts that aren't older than like 2010 is tough.

Again, many thanks for the help...I have to figure out a recipe for this weekend...might want to just go back to 001 for the ease and making sure that my practice is sound before attempting a 15lb grain bill with high flocculating yeast...

dmtaylor likes this.
  5. dmtaylor

You are certainly off to an excellent start. Cheers.

Capslock likes this.
  6. Tebuken

Tebuken Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

Is it possible your dispensing tap is a bit dirty?. Did you check it?

7. Capslock

I'd only run one keg through it, and after I sent at least a gallon of hot water+starsan afterwards. I can't imagine it would be that filthy. But this is my first rodeo...so should it have been?

8. Tebuken

Tebuken Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

I think it should not.

Capslock likes this.
  9. koopa

koopa Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

I'd associate the olive quality with a high amount of DMS, which can be due to either a weak boil, improper boil off ventilation (leaving lid on kettle while your temps are 180+), or a bacterial infection.

10. Capslock

Well I can confirm that my boils are not rigorous - it's definitely a 212 boil, but very steady/low/rolling boil. I absolutely do not keep the lid on during the boil at any point.

To update everyone further, I drank 2 pints of this last night and it is starting to taste a LOT better. I think it was just a little green when I pulled it out of the carboy and it's only going to get better as it relaxes in the keg. Brought a growler with me to work today to pass some around and get some insights. We'll see what the other brewers I work with say.

11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

I always think "canned corn and cooked vegetables/cabbage" when I think DMS.

Super cool page on the Milk the Funk wiki about DMS, if anyone is interested. Debunks a lot of myths about the subject.

12. Naugled

Naugled Pooh-Bah (1,882) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

I think it might have to do with all of the specialty/roasted malts used, they make up 40% of your malt bill. I'm not saying it's wrong, just unusual. I've gotten strange flavors with some RIS's I've brewed with large amounts of specialty/roasted malts, but 02 could definitely be a culprit as well.

++ on what dmtaylor says, rinse and repeat often, (ie brew more) that's how figure these things out and make better beer.

13. koopa

koopa Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

Depending on the amount of dms and your sensitivity to it, it tends to express itself (from least to greatest concentration) as cabbage, corn, tomato juice, or olives!

14. Bryan12345

Bryan12345 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2016 Texas

Yep, that was my first thought, the dark malts. When I bottle big stouts (my fave) there is sometimes a mild black-olive smell. Flavor is not affected. Two weeks later, all gone :slight_smile:

I actually kinda look forward to the smell now, at that particular step :slight_smile:

RDWHAHB :slight_smile:

15. youradhere

youradhere Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Washington

I had the same thing happen to a sweet mead I just did- tasted at bottling it was very nice, flash forward 3 months in the bottle and I get a very strong martini olive flavor in every bottle (into the reflux still you go!). I'm thinking for my olive flavor it might have been infection?

16. dmtaylor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.