Ottawa Beer Scene.....?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Easton70, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easton70

Easton70 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2015 Canada (ON)

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm in the process of moving now and have begun to taste Ontario beers. I drove from Vancouver a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the bottom of Bank Street in an AirBnB so I manged to taste a few including a couple of Beyond the Pale's beers in cans from LBCO (or whatever it's called). I'm currently back home in Scotland tasting the beers of my youth (Deuchars IPA for one) so I look forward to getting back to Ottawa in August.

iguenard likes this.
  2. Easton70

Thanks for the feedback, mtomlins. Having spent one week in Ottawa before I flew to Scotland, I stayed close to Bank Street and sampled a couple of bars but you may be able to answer a couple of questions based on what I saw there: what is Clocktower Brewpub and Ashton Brewing like?....be honest.

3. mtomlins

mtomlins Pooh-Bah (1,561) Mar 12, 2010 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah

I am a huge fan of Clocktower...for the wings (half-priced Thursday happy hour)! Every now and then, they come out with a decent seasonal, but I honestly would never go there for the beer. I would much rather go to a multi-tap restaurant. As for Ashton, I have very limited experience with them. They seem to brew safe, mediocre beer for the masses. If these were the only two breweries in my area, they would be fine, but BtP, TnN, Dominion have them easily beat and with our proximity to QC, NY and VT, I have no reason to drink their stuff.

Safe Travels!

Easton70 likes this.
  4. Seany

Seany Zealot (571) Sep 27, 2005 Canada (QC)

Will be in Ottawa Friday and was going to skip Bicycle, but looks like milkshake and On the Lam are both available. Worth a stop now maybe??

beerluvr, iguenard and mtomlins like this.
  5. bylerteck

bylerteck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,143) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

Don't bother

mtomlins likes this.
  6. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)

Can't really vouch for them. Milkshake one is certainly on trend and hazy looking, and Lam has (I believe) "Vermont" in its description. Does it make tgem worthwhile? Worth a shot

mtomlins likes this.
  7. Seany

Seany Zealot (571) Sep 27, 2005 Canada (QC)

Thanks! Not far out of my way, so will likely stop in. Will let you know.

Jerk_Store likes this.
  8. iguenard

iguenard Zealot (594) Jan 30, 2006 Canada (QC)
    Trader

Hey @mtomlins , @pushkinwow , we should give Easton a welcome tasting. Opportunity to open up some old locals he would have missed... kind of a history lesson in a few pints :slight_smile:

mtomlins likes this.
  9. Easton70

Sounds good to me. I'm pretty open for the next couple of weeks. Cheers

10. bylerteck

Pooh-Bah Society

I had On The Lam at HPH. VERY malty for a 'Vermont' style.

11. Jerk_Store

Good to know, thanks for the heads up! "Vermont" is being thrown around quite a bit lately...

mblanke likes this.
  12. steasdale

steasdale Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Canada (ON)

.... only four hours from Vermont .... is the real selling point!

Jerk_Store likes this.
  13. TheHammer

TheHammer Pooh-Bah (2,050) Feb 15, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

At some point I'd recommend driving out to nearby Perth. The Perth brewery as a solid Amber and Maple Ale that I enjoyed, although I wasn't quite as keen on the rest of their lineup.

Easton70 likes this.
  14. pushkinwow

pushkinwow Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 Canada (ON)

Sounds good to me...out of town for a week at a cottage soon (I know life is tough) but we can make something work...especially if @Easton70 brings back a nice single malt to share (or even if he doesn't).

15. bylerteck

Pooh-Bah Society

Apparently this was a packaging error and what I had was NOT On The Lam. So maybe worth looking into.

16. Jerk_Store

Random question, does anyone know how many microbreweries there are now in Ottawa?

17. rejtable

rejtable Devotee (314) Apr 20, 2011 Canada (ON)

mtomlins and Jerk_Store like this.
  18. Conrad

Conrad Pundit (774) Nov 29, 2005 Canada (ON)

About 18. I have been a beer geek in Ottawa for many years (40+) and am gratified to see so many new craft breweries. Some do not make it. Gone but not forgotten are Heritage and Scotch Irish. Stay on top of your internet searches for new names and locations. Or better yet, go to the annual Craft Beer Festival to sample their wares.

Jerk_Store likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.