Troon Brewing

Discussion in 'New England' started by Streaky, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digdug1810

digdug1810 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

sounds like shitlording was afoot as expected bc....Canzzzz

not sure how Alex will move forward for next time but i'm sure there will be something as they just can't accommodate that many people/cars

silent crowler release... save some for Fri/Sat/Sun... idk.. even silent releases or last min releases after awhile will follow a pattern and people just start to show up bc of said pattern... see Kane every Saturday fort he past month or more

it's a trickey slope... already seeing the shitlording of the canz for max profitzzz... never once saw a growler of Troon in the areas i've seen the canz pop up today...

i'm glad that growlers are still a thing currently... hopefully that stays so that if canz sell out growlers can still be had on saturday's/sunday etc.

gardenstatepkwy and nesarebad like this.
  2. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Ticket system may be their best bet, given their space.

3. nesarebad

nesarebad Pooh-Bah (1,804) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think Alex might be the like the best person ever, he actually apologized for people having to wait in a long line. Absolutely no need to do that, line lifers do this to themselves. Definitely agree that he might need to figure out something better. I'm thinking he just needs to not announce he is crowlering batches of beer and just sell them when he opens. He will still sell them out...

4. nesarebad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I would generally be concerned that someone who has never had a Troon beer has this as their first experience if they hold on to the crowler for too long or trade it across the country. It's the general predicament with trading non-packed beer.

5. Axic10

Axic10 Maven (1,362) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

I agree with this. Somebody had asked on IG if they would be ok showing up after 5 and I had answered that she'd still be able to get growlers and the beer would be the same. The guy who got there at 3:30 and set up a chair said that "crowlers when purged with CO2 hold up longer than growlers". I think that there is going to be a decent amount of these beers be traded/shipped, more so than any of his previous releases, or people are going to sit on them.

6. MacMalt

MacMalt Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,658) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I really appreciate Alex's thoughtful response. It's tough to be a victim of one's own success. Those of us who enjoy not only Troon but Brick House Tavern hope the ambiance of both is not adversely affected. The entire venture is well-conceived and executed. It's a shame that New Jersey's statute governing breweries is so narrow. The elegant solution would be to have a tasting room in Hopewell rather than on the farm but I'd be surprised if that were permissible because of the "tour" requirement. If someone here is more familiar with the law, I'd be interested in your take on this.

7. Timmush

Timmush Pundit (907) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

yes. If you check out Sole's new tap room in Easton, that would be an ideal set up for most NJ breweries. Basically have a place to brew and a place to sell it. But NJ law does not allow it. They are currently looking at getting rid of the 'tour' in NJ but you would still need to brew the same place you sell. (trust me I looked into this :rolling_eyes: )

8. MacMalt

MacMalt Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,658) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks for the clarification. It's what I expected to hear. And thanks for the suggestion about Sole. It's been on my radar. I haven't been to Weyerbacher in awhile and the two of them would make a good trip. Less than an hour away.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  9. Ieatlambfries

Ieatlambfries Maven (1,310) Dec 5, 2003 New Jersey
    Trader

Jeez Louise, dropped by at opening today and already a line of 10 or so people outside. The alum-mania is real. Looks like the IPA kicked not long after I was there? Heard talk of them grabbing a few sixtels back from the bar for fills, but don't know if they actually did being I saw people saying IPA was kicked on IG. So don't go a running just on my word... Either way, as Alex said while he was filling my growler, there's been a paradigm shift.

10. Axic10

Axic10 Maven (1,362) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

I got there around 11:45 hoping that there would not be a line, but there were about 8 in front of me. I heard the same thing that you did about grabbing sixtels. Alex seemed very surprised by yesterday's turnout.

SammyJaxxxx and Ieatlambfries like this.
  11. nesarebad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Damn man, you ain't kidding. How did this happen so quickly?

Ieatlambfries likes this.
  12. Protein

Protein Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2016 New Jersey

It's inevitable to feel some sadness when the masses catch on to a local gem and it was downright weird to see the cars stampede through what's usually a peaceful, serene farm, but I'm genuinely happy for Alex. In a short period of time in a tiny shack behind a tavern in the middle of nowhere he has built a destination brewery that cranks out beer after beer unlike anything else. More than once while standing in lines elsewhere I have told people "There is a guy brewing beer in my town at a place called Troon, remember the name if you ever have a chance to try some." Glad to see his talent taking Troon to new levels of success.

MacMalt likes this.
  13. beertoro

beertoro Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

“If, tomorrow, I tell the internet that, like, a growler or two can be filled, or I'll have two new beers on tap, nobody panics, because it’s all ‘part of the plan’. But when I say that two little little crowlers will be for sale, well then everyone loses their minds!”

14. dhaakon

dhaakon Pundit (851) May 30, 2005 New York

was this place really a hidden gem?

everyone i know from south jersey/philly area raves about this place at every OH release. I doubt people who do not live within an hour were at this release. NY border has Equillibrium/HVB/etc, Brooklyn has too many it can handle...Philly has just Tired Hands for the most part. I think its more a reflection of the scarcity of an operation like Other Half in the surrounding area. Some of the most rabid beer fans come from right around that stretch of the Delaware river and are willing to drive hours to wait hours for hazy IPA's. I'm kind of shocked that the brewer did not see this coming... has he been to a Tired Hands release?

JosephThompson likes this.
  15. LuckyOneSix

LuckyOneSix Zealot (640) Aug 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Opened my growler of Mental Kaleidoscope today. What an incredible beer, my goodness.. Having had this year's batch of Sunday Brunch last week, I can easily say this beer tops it IMO.

digdug1810 likes this.
  16. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Zealot (661) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Finishing my crowler now. Will say that it is An amazing beer. Definitely on the same level as Brunch IMO. Funny enough, I waited in line longer for one crowler of this than I did for 6 bottles of Brunch this year

SammyJaxxxx and LuckyOneSix like this.
  17. JosephThompson

JosephThompson Zealot (584) Nov 29, 2011 New Jersey

So the growler of MK tastes on the same level as the crowler of MK?

Who would have guessed?

18. LuckyOneSix

LuckyOneSix Zealot (640) Aug 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

[​IMG]

19. Burntfoot

Burntfoot Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey

man I was away in Cali last weekend.. I loved being able to drop in and get growler fills with no lines. Happy for Alex hate that I see people selling his beer on the interweb. I guess the guys of stopping at my CSA and then getting two grolwers with no wait is over

Ieatlambfries likes this.
  20. Ieatlambfries

Ieatlambfries Maven (1,310) Dec 5, 2003 New Jersey
    Trader

I don't mind the waiting part so much. Obviously I don't love it either. But it's not a total deal breaker.

My concern is the fact that growler fills are being completely phased out. One thing that makes places such as Other Half, Tired Hands, etc. great (imo) is that if you want to avoid the line shenanigans and opt for a fill, you can. Having the option, albeit at a slightly higher price per oz, is nice. I often don't want more than 32oz of a beer anyway. But the fact that you can skip the madness, leave the cans to the hoarders/traders/resellers is the real point here. It leaves room for everyone to get some of the beer in a way that fits their lifestyle.

I was also rather perplexed to read via IG Alex suggested that he's committed to keeping the tavern stocked so locals have that option too (rather than stand in line). Imo buying beer by the glass at a bar is not a truly viable alternative to growler fills. Not for me anyway.

digdug1810 and Dreamer57 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.