What beer are you drinking now? #1761

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by 911CROFT, Aug 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabtos

Sabtos Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,486) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You'd think I may have had enough of Jackie O's after visiting them this weekend, but had to open this one today to share with the old lady.

[​IMG]

Very tart raspberry Berliner.

eppCOS, muchos, Prager62 and 35 others like this.
  2. SawDog505

SawDog505 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,666) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

3. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Pundit (971) Jul 5, 2015 Kentucky

4. BWood

BWood Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2015 California

5. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Grand Pooh-Bah (3,422) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lordy what a beer! Huzzah for 700 reviews!!!:sunglasses::beers:
    [​IMG]
    Santé!

eppCOS, muchos, Prager62 and 37 others like this.
  6. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Grand Pooh-Bah (4,820) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@SomethingClever grabbed me a growler of his IBUsive. I believe he said "it was on point". So was he, because it is. Fat Heads is just killing hoppy beers. And they are clear!!?? :astonished::stuck_out_tongue:
    [​IMG]

eppCOS, utopiajane, muchos and 36 others like this.
  7. Chipotle

Chipotle Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2017 New York

[​IMG]

Out for a bite to eat.

As usual lately the beer choices are dominated by IPA's. They did have Dirty Bastard on draft but that's a one I usually have bottles of at home. I ended up getting this Rogue 6 Hop IPA.

eppCOS, muchos, Prager62 and 30 others like this.
  8. butters_mcgee

butters_mcgee Pooh-Bah (1,783) Feb 26, 2014 New York
    Pooh-Bah

Visiting with the mother in law in Western MA. Happy to be trying this one from Building 8 Brewing, Northampton, MA.
    The IPA. Very good IPA.
    6.5%, 70 IBU
    [​IMG]

eppCOS, utopiajane, muchos and 35 others like this.
  9. beermanben

beermanben Maven (1,346) Jan 23, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

10. Marklaker

Marklaker Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

[​IMG]

Cheers to one of my all-time favorites on his day of retirement. The fastball may have diminished, but your heart only grew bigger.

[​IMG]

11. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Pooh-Bah (2,193) Feb 13, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

One of these left in my fridge so it must go.

Cheers!

eppCOS, muchos, Squire and 34 others like this.
  12. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Grand Pooh-Bah (4,089) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good but not a fav....
    [​IMG]

eppCOS, muchos, Squire and 26 others like this.
  13. larryi86

larryi86 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,106) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Pooh-Bah Trader

My first Zomdie Dust in two or three years, thanks @GreenBayBA, cheers!
    [​IMG]

eppCOS, muchos, Prager62 and 34 others like this.
  14. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,727) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

eppCOS, muchos, Squire and 27 others like this.
  15. zac16125

zac16125 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,358) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Results of my tasting. I know that no one probably cares about my tasting results, but oh well:

Belgian Quad Side by Side 2017 (5 yrs aged)

Westy 12 vs Rochefort 10 vs St. Bernardus Abt 12

33cL bottles of all participants
    All were purchased around the same time, and have been cellared together in a wine refrigerator at 55 degrees since purchase.

Poured into similar size/shaped chalices

I did this same side by side (by side) fresh (April 2013) and at 2 years (January 2015). For the fresh tasting, the overall results were Westy 12, followed closely by Abt 12, and Rochefort 10 a far distant 3rd. At the 2 year tasting Westy 12 and Abt 12 were still first and second, but Rochefort was closer. Lets see how things look at 5 years.

Of note: this was NOT blinded, however, I’ve drank all 3 enough that I think a blind would be worthless anyways.

APPEARANCE:
    All are mahogany in color with light tan heads. Rochefort is slightly darker with a denser head. Head dissipates quickly on all 3. Abt 12 and Westy look nearly identical in the glass, except Abt’s head is fizzier and dissipates the quickest.

Westy 12- 4.25

Rochefort 10- 4.5

Abt 12- 4.25

Appearance results-
    1st- Rochefort
    2nd- Westy
    3rd- Abt 12

SMELL:
    West 12- Aroma is wonderful. Lots of dark fruit, very sweet. Subtle yeast and spice. Caramel. 4.75

Rochefort 10- Lots of caramel, quite sweet, a bit of soy sauce. Something a bit off, perhaps oxidized, although this has been consistent in all 3 side by sides so probably not. 3.75

Abt 12- By far the weakest of the aromas; also the least dark fruit/sweet characters. Mostly just subtle doughy yeast. Not bad, but just very little there. Shocked. 3.5

Results-

1st- Westy 12
    2nd- Rochefort
    3rd- Abt 12

TASTE:
    Westy 12- Caramel, bitterness, decent amount of spice. Very little dark fruit. This is vastly different than at 2 years, it is still tasty but it has dropped off a cliff. This beer is still good, but Westy 12 at 2 years is absolutely divine and an all time top 10 beer for me. This is no where close. However, it does improve as it warms (and this is MUCH beyond the 55 degrees, probably close to room temp). As it reaches this temp the sweetness builds, some dark fruits but mostly caramel/toffee. All in all, its still very good, its just not the prime Westy 12 I know and love. 4.5

Rochefort 10- Holding pretty strong. Honestly probably better than it was at 2 years, def better than when its fresh, (when compared to the others in the fresh side by side I thought it was a mess). The vinous and vinegary notes have faded. Whats left is lots of spice, some yeasty notes, bitterness, and a subtle lighter fruity flavor. It does have a somewhat medicinal phenolic character which has been consistent throughout all of the side by side tastings I’ve done. This one probably has the most going on still at 5 years, but not all of those things are positives. 4.25

Abt 12- Pretty big drop off here too. This one is bar far the most boozy. Does have some dark fruit notes, very subtle bitterness, fair amount of spice. Pretty decent caramel/toffee. Fresh and at 2 years, this was my second favorite, but at 5 years its 3 out of 3 for me. 4

Taste results-

1st- Westy 12
    2nd- Rochefort
    3rd- Abt 12

MOUTHFEEL/DRINKABILITY:
    Westy 12- full bodied, highest carbonation of the 3 but still low, drinkability pretty good. 4.25

Rochefort 10- Fully bodied, carbonation low-too low, ABV well masked with pretty good drinkability. 4.25

Abt 12- Full bodied but a bit syrupy. Carbonation low, drinkability average. 3.75

M/D results-
    1st- Westy
    2nd- Rochefort
    3rd- Abt 12

OVERALL:
    I can safely say that 5 years is past the prime for these beers. 2-3 years is the sweet spot. Enjoyed the tasting though. Overall, Westy remains the favorite. Abt 12 had a huge drop off, and fell to my least favorite of the 3 (after easily being #2 both fresh and at 2 years). Fun tasting, that I recommend to all that enjoy Belgian Quads.

Westy 12- 4.5

Rochefort 10- 4.25

Abt 12- 4

Overall results:
    1st- Westy 12
    2nd- Rochefort 10
    3rd- St. Bernardus Abt 12

Westy: 2/1/1/1/1 ( 4.25/4.75/4.5 /4.25/4.5)
    St. Bernardus Abt 12: 2/3/3/3/3 (4.25/3.5/4/3.75/4)
    Rochefort: 1/2/2/2/2 (4.5/3.75/4.25/4.25/4.25 )

eppCOS, Chipotle, Squire and 26 others like this.
  16. Hiwattowner

Hiwattowner Pooh-Bah (2,852) Feb 23, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Decided to go old school.

[​IMG]

eppCOS, dcotom, buckeye1275 and 36 others like this.
  17. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Still an outstanding beer, but with the elevated alcohol it's quite a bit drier than last years. I remember more residual sweetness in last years.

eppCOS, dcotom, Chipotle and 26 others like this.
  18. SawDog505

SawDog505 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,666) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

19. Strike00

Strike00 Pundit (818) Dec 24, 2014 Iowa

One from Dcotom. This one is holding up well.
    [​IMG]

eppCOS, Chipotle, muchos and 26 others like this.
  20. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good evening, all! I recapped this King Sue last night so I could have another pour after work today. No harm done, apparently. It might even be a little brighter and juicier than before. These damned fruit flies must think so, too. There's a dead one on the bottom of the glass. I'm drinking around it. I mean, this is King Sue, after all.
    [​IMG]

What else?

What's in the bottom of your Spiegelau glass?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.