Green Flash to Open 3rd Brewery in Lincoln, Nebraska

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Aug 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Maybe the problem was that they spent all day making a single beer?

Which beers from GF have you had that had QC issues?

2. HuskerBall

HuskerBall Initiate (109) Jun 12, 2016 Nebraska

Sure, like I said part of the problem was they had too much debt, part of that would be spending an entire day brewing a beer when it may not be fiscally responsible to do so. Granted, they only successfully brewed a single batch of that beer but yes you may be correct in that that was part of the problem. Who are you if you don't stand out and take risks though?

Granted, thats a personal low blow, but I just don't really like Green Flash beer. I bought a barrel aged Silva Stout of theirs a few years back at 19.99 that was ruined with diacetyl. Hop head red and double stout are decent beers, but at 14 bucks a sixer they're not anywhere close to being a decent value.

Granted, of the people I have talked to locally, I doo seem to be in the minority. I've talked to people excited to try their beers, as well as people excited to get their beer much more fresh.

I am very interested in seeing how a national brand does with buying a brewery in a smaller college city, as it could pave the model for other large breweries "going local"

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

In your personal opinion do you think this is a 'good' thing?

Cheers!

4. HuskerBall

HuskerBall Initiate (109) Jun 12, 2016 Nebraska

Honestly, it really depends, but generally speaking I do not see it as a good thing. If it's a brewery that cares for the local economy and will focus on say a particular region, it could be a good thing. Say if it was Sierra Nevada moving into the space in Lincoln I'd be head over heels because I know they care about the consumer. I have seen them come into stores and take old product off the shelf here in Omaha.

Or say it's Stone coming in, granted I dont typically enjoy many of their beers, but I would support it because I respect the way they run their business, and would help the local economy.
    But, there's the other side where you have AB InBev coming in and scooping up new breweries in each region, where a lot of people dont realize they're drinking AB InBev products. I think many here would agree that ABI is a threat to local breweries with the way they are buying and setting lower costs, and dictating distribution.

So honestly, there are good and bad about these larger breweries setting up new locations, but personally I like to see the more of the local little guys.

When it comes down to Zipline, White Elm, Boiler, Scratchtown, Nebraska, or Kros Strain vs Green Flash, I'll always pick the original Nebraska beers first.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  5. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Zealot (631) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

you seem to be making a lot of assumptions about the business model of green flash. i understand if the beers they produce aren't to your liking, or if you are just bummed that ploughshare no longer exists, but the idea that GF doesn't care about the consumer or that they won't help the local economy seem unfounded. perhaps i'm being an optimist here, and obviously there is a lot we don't/won't know, but they have already stated:
    1. they will be hiring 20 or so employees locally
    2. they are intending that a centrally located facility will lower costs and increase availability to the midwestern area
    3. brewing locally will improve freshness of product
    which all seem like very good things to me. honestly the only real complaint i see about GF as a business is regarding their acquisition of alpine, which admittedly is a legit complaint, but also has little impact on me personally.

i also would've preferred another local operation to step in, or a brewery whose beers i find more exciting, but that said i'm still excited to see what GF will bring to the table.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.