Chicagoland NE IPAs (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by SeanBond, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beardown2489

beardown2489 Pooh-Bah (1,892) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

yea, its pretty damn good. Won't please the mouthfeel whores, but if you like a easy drinking citra pale ale....then hurry. Doesn't get much better for 5%.

eppCOS, BuffaloBill12 and Nachos4two like this.
  2. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Savant (1,149) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

I like a fair amount of Marz stuff, but a lot of times they're too expensive. Hopefully they bring back their Uptown XPA, that might be the best session pale ale I've ever had.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  3. beardown2489

beardown2489 Pooh-Bah (1,892) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

yea, they certainly price their beers on the high end, but they also make some of the most interesting beer around. If anyone hasn't had jungle boogie, its possibly the most unique hoppy beer in america. Just nothing else like it. They don't do it often, but they do lagers really well too

BeerTaco and FBarber like this.
  4. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Zealot (717) Jan 17, 2017 Czech Republic

I know it's not Chicagoland produced, but it is seeing distro here now, is the hazy IPA from Trinity (out of Colorado) called Hype Forager. I don't know anything about this brewery. It's in six packs of cans. Bought a six pack from Binny's on Grand on a whim and thought it was pretty decent

eppCOS likes this.
  5. Acschoen

Acschoen Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2015 Illinois

I would buy a lot more Marz beers if the price point was better. It has improved a bit with the 4 pack cans but still very high. I actually bit on the hazy vale 4 packs and will report back when I give it a try.

ditka311 likes this.
  6. Acschoen

Acschoen Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2015 Illinois

Also I saw a new batch of Middle Brow Sold Out. Any reviews on this?

7. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I'm a big fan of marz product. They make really good beers, but I'll only buy the stuff on draft.

Their APA, The Machine, is awesome, but at 13.99 a 12oz/4-pack, they can go fuck themselves. Every single other brewery on the planet has figured out out to make a pale ale and sell it at 9.99/6-pack or 4-pack tall boys.

Jungle boogie too. Great beer. But not something I'll ever buy unless the price comes down.

I'm honestly not sure who's buying their beer either, but someone must be, because they keep pumping money into expansions and caning lines.

8. springheeljack

springheeljack Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2017 Illinois

Do not care for Marz. Haven't really liked any of 9-10 beers I've had from them. Always have wondered who buys their packaged stuff.

ratwheels likes this.
  9. ratwheels

ratwheels Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Illinois

Most unique hoppy beer in America? Hyperbole much? What is so unique about it? It's a wheat ale with tea... or am I missing something?

10. BeerTaco

BeerTaco Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2017 Illinois

Jungle Boogie is awesome. Double Jungle Boogie is even better! That was one of my favorite beers of 2015. I didn't really get into all the fruited variants of Jungle Boogie, but the original and the double were definitely stand out beers for me.

Sorry for going off topic here.

jaysker95 likes this.
  11. springheeljack

double jungle boogie just tasted like double the malt. Skip this boutique brewery. They are all over the place in a bad way. Nothing wrong with being creative and adventurous, but they simply do not deliver

12. Hopopotamus53

Hopopotamus53 Devotee (312) May 16, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Hailstorm brewing:

Starting at 5 PM we will be releasing Burst a New England Pale With Mosaic Hops, Vanilla, Lactose & Mango. This is a collaboration with our friends from The Open Bottle. It will be on tap and available in 16oz 6 Pack Cans.

Also pulling up at 5 PM is the Hog Wild Food Truck. They will be serving some their famous BBQ.

ditka311, KrajDoesBeer and oN3xM like this.
  13. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Some of the stuff is like early Pipeworks on meth.

BeerTaco likes this.
  14. springheeljack

Would rather just have some meth. In all honesty, open for trying more. Just have not been impressed plus salt in wounld from pricing .

csmakio and ditka311 like this.
  15. ditka311

ditka311 Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2009 Illinois

Anybody try Burst!? Thinking of making a trip over there sometime today to grab some.

oN3xM and FBarber like this.
  16. Jaywalsh20

Jaywalsh20 Pooh-Bah (2,138) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I feel like Burst might need a little more time, still pretty green. Had that scratchy feeling going down my throat. I'll say it went away as the beer warmed up though. Huge grapefruit/mango flavors. I had this out of a can too. Great price point $15 for a 6 pack of 16oz cans. I've never seen that before .

17. csmakio

csmakio Zealot (707) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois

Couldn't agree more. Ended up heading 40 minutes south to Tinley Park after scrapping my MORE plans due to selling out. Grabbed a six pack and had a taste at the bar. While good, it feels overhopped and burns a bit. A week or two will hopefully help this out but at $15 a 6-pack you can't really complain.

Ended up going to Forbidden Root for dinner and had Toro!, Atomic Child and Night Moth. All delicious but I grabbed a growler of Toro! on the way out. Good day all around.

jaysker95, KrajDoesBeer and eppCOS like this.
  18. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Zealot (717) Jan 17, 2017 Czech Republic

They've got Little Big Hop from 2nd Shift 4pack cans at Binnys on Grand if anyone is looking for it, just a heads up, as well as Saint Errant Strange Loops.

19. 77apm

77apm Pooh-Bah (1,710) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cans from Trinity in Chicago! That's awesome, great spot there in Colorado Springs...awesome brews!

20. 30MinutesSouth

30MinutesSouth Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Indiana

[​IMG]

Just tried this yesterday on the recommendation from one of the SL Binny's guys and I liked it just fine.

jaysker95 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.