Kalamazoo "Beer" Day

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by MikeJet32, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeJet32

MikeJet32 Aspirant (237) Apr 14, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Heading up to Kalamazoo from Chicago for a Saturday (10/28) next month to check out the beer scene. I've seen a couple posts with recommendations within, but figured I would start up a new thread. Outside of Bells, which breweries are the best to hit? Have been to Grand Rapids (and stopped in Bridgman) several times and loved it but this is the first trip up to Kalamazoo.

Thanks!

2. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Latitude 42 which is about 7-8 miles south of Bell's in Portage.

While at Bell's, it's worth walking across the street to HopCat with their tap list of 100+ beers. Next to HopCat is Old Dog Tavern which can be an interesting place. About two blocks west of HopCat on Water Street is Kalamazoo Beer Exchange. It is most interesting to go there after 5 pm (maybe it's 6 pm) when the market goes active and the beer prices fluctuate like a stock market depending on demand for the various beers. Occasionally a market 'crash' will get you some cheap beers of notable quality.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  4. Mattmc1973

Mattmc1973 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Michigan

A few years ago I visited there during Hopslam season. The market would crash and stuff would be 50% off. Even if you weren’t ready for a beer the bartender would just ring it in and give it to you when you were ready. I drank 1/2 price Hopslam all night.

archiebunkerjr, craigo19 and core42 like this.
  5. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Pooh-Bah (2,472) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have a buddy going to GR/Kalamazoo area this weekend. Any chance there's a place around (hopcat or otherwise) that might do crowlers and have something interesting on?

6. PapaGoose03

Pooh-Bah Society

I don't get into these places that I mentioned frequently enough to know if any of them (or other good beer bars in town) have added crowler-filling equipment since I visited any of them. I don't recall seeing any on my last visits to these places which were months ago. Maybe some of the Kzoo locals can chime in with better info. Sorry I can't be of better help.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  7. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Pooh-Bah (2,472) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No worries - I appreciate the effort!

8. jmosborn

jmosborn Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Michigan

How about Arcadia?

9. Vitacca

Vitacca Pooh-Bah (2,226) Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Be sure to walk the train tracks on your way back across the river and sing stand by me.

10. PapaGoose03

Pooh-Bah Society

They closed their Battle Creek location where I live, so I'm still pissed at them and won't mention them for a while. :grin: However, it is a good place to visit with good food and beers. (Just a half mile east of Bell's.)

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  11. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not far from the Beer Exchange is Shakespeare’s, lots of taps, younger crowd.

I also like Central City TapHouse, good beer list, really good food.

archiebunkerjr and PapaGoose03 like this.
  12. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Savant (1,000) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Gonzo's and Tibbs are both worth visiting downtown.

13. craigo19

craigo19 Zealot (673) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan

Ruppert's is a pretty cool place to visit also and it isn't too far from downtown.

14. aclockworkchris

aclockworkchris Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2017 Michigan

Arcadia sucks. I have NEVER had an even decent beer from them. Their spoiled 2016 Shipwreck Porter tasted like a damn sour and they still kept them on the shelves, offering no refunds.

Not to mention, I can finish a PBR, but I couldn’t finish their Coconut Porter. Disgusting. Don’t get me started with them

GuyFawkes likes this.
  15. limako

limako Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2016 Massachusetts

When you want lunch, consider going to Bilbo's Pizza on Stadium Drive. They are a micro-brewery and their beer is fine, tho not exceptional. But their pizza is outstanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.