What do you guys do with the at home shelf turds?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mymalade, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bouncepass

bouncepass Savant (1,064) Oct 3, 2006 California
    Trader

+1 for this suggestion (and reserve for cooking in general).

2. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,017) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just collect a few more and build a massive temple structure out of them.

VABA, Harrison8, cavedave and 2 others like this.
  3. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (1,020) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Use them for cooking.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  4. Lucular

Lucular Grand Pooh-Bah (3,943) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sounds like you need a third group of friends! :wink:

cavedave likes this.
  5. Celtics76

Celtics76 Pooh-Bah (1,769) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society

I don't get the second part here "not desirable enough to be opened at a share".

I drink/bring a lot of good stuff to bottle shares, but we're not required to bring whales. Why would you buy anything that would be perceived as "not desirable" at a bottle share to begin with?

This "home shelf turd" concept seems to be a case of poor personal beer inventory management.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  6. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Can't say that I've ever had this problem, myself. I buy beer and then I drink it. Seems easy enough.

Leebo, Celtics76, Squire and 2 others like this.
  7. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut

Save them for times when you will be less particular about high quality beer. Thats generally what I do if I let my IPA's sit around too long. I bring them to a tailgate or a casual party at a friends, or some other non-craft-beer event where I dont want to bring something that I am excited to drink.

mymalade, GuyFawkes and BBThunderbolt like this.
  8. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Pooh-Bah (1,700) Jan 19, 2013 Canada (NB)

Don't tell anyone, but I usually pass off the "shelf turds" to friends when they come to visit :rolling_eyes:

To be completely truthful though, most usually pass in favour of their BMC swill!

mymalade, GuyFawkes and BBThunderbolt like this.
  9. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Grand Pooh-Bah (5,364) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wow, our palates are very different.

I think Bomb & it's variants get spicy & undesirable with age; I also think those Avery barrel aged beers are UNDRINKABLE without at least 2 years on 'em.

Harrison8 likes this.
  10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

"Turd" is a bullshit term. A lot of "shelf" beers are actually good beers and if you cant respect somebody's choice of bottle to bring to a share because its not a "whale", then you are an asshole. Beer is fun. People can be mad at this post but a lot of what i just read sounds snobby. Respect Beer. It says it all over this website. if you buy a beer and dont like it and sit on it forever i cant understand why you wouldnt just throw it out or find a way to cook with it.

ECdOc, Harrison8, sharpski and 4 others like this.
  11. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Shelf turd is a bad term, but it never meant what it means now when it was first used. It was merely a colorful and ironic/humorous description for ANY beer that could be gotten on shelf at a store, as opposed to a beer that needed to be purchased at a release.

And I would be careful about calling someone(s) an asshole because they have different attitude than you, and then accusing others of being snobbish. Just sayin' :wink:

12. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

While I, as is generally the case, agree with you (and do so to a certain point here), I agree with @Urk1127 more.

"Shelf Turd" was originally meant to refer to nice, drinkable, everyday brews, that walezbro hunters wouldn't deign to consume. Well, weirdly enough, slang is fluid.

sharpski and cavedave like this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's a bad term because there has never been an agreed upon meaning for it, and this discussion about its "real meaning" has been going on for the majority of time it has been a term. We both have held to our opinions of it, as I am sure many of us have, and that just points out how bad of a term it is.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  14. Mindsculptor

Mindsculptor Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013 Texas

Bomb, spicy? It's just Anchos, man, I don't know how you even detect the heat with everything else going on.

As for Avery's barrel beers, to each their own, but I found Dui Cochi to be dangerously drinkable.

15. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yup.

cavedave likes this.
  16. mymalade

mymalade Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2015 California

Thank you, this is exactly what I am talking about, I was being sarcastic when I said shef turds, and whales, but I mean beer that I don't want to drink, or anyone else for that matter, but that I don't want to throw away.

jhavs likes this.
  17. mymalade

Will this work? That would be amazing.

18. mymalade

I think every single beer I am talking about was left behind at my house by someone else, normally that they brought to a share but nobody wanted to drink.

19. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My adult daughter wanted to surprise her boyfriend by giving him some "good" beer, so she wanted six beers from my cellar. Well - I happened to have some Sam Adams that had been aging on my shelf for "a while" because I lost interest in them when I got into craft, so we put together a mixed-six. Saved me dumping them out. I would feel guilty about it, but she soon dropped him...

As far as good beers sitting - yes, I do that too. Last January I set out to try all 104 styles, so really got into trying and reviewing new beers, so much so that I'm sitting on a cellar I may never get through. If I have the choice of a new beer or a favorite, I'll always go with the new one. I need to drink down my cellar, but that could take years - so lucky they're all stouts.

#99 bbtkd, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    the_ceeeeg, Lucular and cavedave like this.
  20. scream

scream Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    In Memoriam

Works for me. Pour what you want and then cap right away.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.