Barrel Aged Old Ruffian

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by tat2dhllblly, Oct 19, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tat2dhllblly

tat2dhllblly Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2010 Ohio

So I just stopped at my local bottle shop and to my suprise found mutiple bottles of Barrel Aged Old Ruffian. Needless to say I was extremely pleased at this find in Ohio. First time I have ever seen it.

2. mrand01

mrand01 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 New Jersey

I don't know anyone else's experience w/ this most recent batch, but the bottle I got was terrible. Bad seal or something, extremely oxidized, not carbonated at all. Pretty much a drain pour. Hope your experience is better.

3. Torgo

Torgo Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2008 Minnesota

I heard rumors that MN got a case of BA Yeti and BA Ruffian, but that was it. Anyone know the recent release numbers? Also, are these still bottles aged in Stranahan Barrel's (or something different now?)

4. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2010 Illinois

Probably. While there are other whiskey distillers in Colorado, the odds of Great Divide going to another source for spent barrels when they've had a relationship with Stranahan's up to now is, in my mind, unlikely.

Remember: Breckenridge Brewing only has exclusivity rights to call out Stranahan's barrels on their labels by name, not the use of said barrels.

5. tat2dhllblly

tat2dhllblly Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2010 Ohio

Yep, that is what is showing on the bottles.

6. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

it's a pretty decent brew, not worth the price though, you could buy two sucabas

digdug1810 likes this.
  7. digdug1810

digdug1810 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

i feel the same way, very strongly.. hell i'd rather have just one sucaba over it.. it was dencent but nowhere near as tasy as FW imo

8. Torgo

Torgo Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2008 Minnesota

Gotcha, I thought Breckenridge had complete exclusivity for some reason. Makes a lot more sense this way.

9. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Pundit (897) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

i had the chance to buy a bottle but when i saw the $27 price tag i had no regrets about putting it back.

10. Vav

Vav Savant (1,025) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

The beer was in barrels before Breckenridge took exclusivity. Very little came to Chicago, with the majority going On Premise only.

11. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

not as complex either, I think that's the best beer FW makes

12. Jugs_McGhee

Jugs_McGhee Grand Pooh-Bah (5,956) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I haven't had BA Old Ruffian, but I'd sure take it over another bottle of Sucaba. I've never understood the firestone walker hype.

13. Scalzo

Scalzo Zealot (654) Feb 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Is this available at the brewery? I have family in denver

14. bpfrush

bpfrush Pooh-Bah (1,845) Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

I loved BA Old Ruffian - not as good as KH, but on par with Arctic Devil and better than Abacus/Sucaba, MoAS, CW BBBW, etc.. Just my opinion.

15. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Indiana too, and needless to say annoying

16. CWBlues

CWBlues Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Indiana

This is a bummer to hear. I really enjoyed the one bottle that my buddies brought back from Colorado.

17. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

This years BA Ruffian was a disappointment IMO. We had it at a tasting a couple weeks ago, and it was overly carbed with an off after taste.

18. doobliebop

doobliebop Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 Colorado

Wow, sorry to hear that. The bottle I had a few months ago was fantastic. I think it was closer to a $20 bottle instead of $25, but still well worth it.

I don't know if it's available at the brewery still, but you can still find it in just about any store in the greater denver area. Price kept it on the shelves.

Having recently toured their barrel room, yes, still Stranahan's. They just can't say "aged in stranahans"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.