What's new in Nebraska?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by distantmantra, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Heading back to Omaha for Christmas with my in-laws a in a couple weeks. What should I keep an eye out for? I saw that the Omaha forum got locked. My father-in-law always takes me straight to Beertopia after landing, and we'll have a night out in Lincoln with my wife's cousins, so hopefully we'll make a stop at Boiler.

LarkinW likes this.
  2. Bonedizzle

Bonedizzle Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Nebraska

sounds like you are doing what you should be doing.

Are you looking for packaged beer or bars/breweries?

Should still be some Prairie variants at certain places, Abyss variants might still be floating around, TG bombers could be available, maybe even some BCBS at obscure places.

If you are talking about breweries, check out Kros Strain. They are making some great IPAs and opened in the summer.

Be sure to check out White Elm while you are in lincoln, and of course Boiler.

3. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

I’ve been visiting Nebraska for 14 years now. I know where to go (took my father in law to Boiler last Thanksgiving) just not always what to buy.

Mainly interested in local beer and stuff we can’t get in Seattle (we get Prairiee, Deschutes, BCBS, etc.).

Probably gonna have date night out in Benson, too. My in-laws live by the Growler USA so I’m sure I’ll go there too.

4. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Oh, is Wonder Twins more readily available now? Had that a few years ago on tap and loved it. Best Nebraska IPA I’ve ever had. Liked it more than Boiler’s stuff, and I really liked Boiler.

5. Bonedizzle

no its not. you will be lucky to find it on tap anywhere, unless someone taps it randomly. Bottles dont last when they drop, its been a while since they have dropped.

Check out Kros Strain, they bottle only 3 or 4 types, but you can get crowlers of their other stuff. Making some good NEIPAs.

jaysker95 and distantmantra like this.
  6. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Zealot (631) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

good life provisions collabs w/hill farmstead (farmer wave) and monkish/mikkeller (if urgent, please keep emailing me) are both on shelves in lincoln still. crane's festiweiss just hit shelves and is lovely.

i really dig zipline's recent session IPA (alpha modern) but you may not be as impressed compared to the options you are used to in WA. their barrel aged calavera stout is out now too, people seem to be digging it but i find it a little thin. definitely seconding bonedizzle's kros strain recc as well.

Ristaccia and distantmantra like this.
  7. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Thanks, man. My in-laws sent me a bottle of Farmer Wave as a get well present after I had open hear surgery earlier in the Fall. Big thanks to the Beertopia guys for helping him pick it out. If it's still there in a couple weeks I'll grab one for holiday festivities. I had Calavera on tap at Zipline last year and enjoyed it. Tavour actually had it available so a friend brought one to Thanksgiving. I still liked it.

I'll need some hoppy every day stuff for my brother-in-law to enjoy (he lives in Morocco, so desperately will need quality beer), thinking some White Elm cans and I'll probably do that Zipline.

8. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I'll be down in the Council Bluffs/Omaha area for Christmas also visiting family. I requested a "sizeable" Beertopia gift card for Xmas as I plan on bringing back quite the haul. Plan on hitting up Crescent Moon, Infusion, Beercade and many more locations.

9. LarkinW

LarkinW Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2007 Nebraska

Good Suggestions in here!

As far as new breweries are concerned I would recommend hitting Kros Strain and White Elm just as the others have. I have yet to try Vis Major or Pint 9 but both are new to the Omaha area in the past year.

Iowa brewed Toppling Goliath bombers are now available in the area so you may be able to try some of those for your daily drinking hoppy beer.

If you are on Facebook you could also join one of the Nebraska beer groups, "Nebraska Brew Crew" or "Nebraska Lets Talk Craft Beer" for information on what is happening in the area and other humor, etc.

distantmantra likes this.
  10. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

I've always been impressed by the 750ml releases from Upstream. Their Ransom gin barrel saison a few years ago was fantastic. Anything I should look for?

11. LarkinW

LarkinW Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2007 Nebraska

Upstream won Gold at FOBAB 2017 in Wild Beer/Sours (Acidic) with their THINGS! GEUZE STYLE ALE as well as Gold in Wild Beer/Sours (Acidic with Fruit) withe their THINGS! & STUFF WITH CUCUMBER AND LIME. The beat the likes of Jester King, Wicked Weed, Trve, and Rivertown. Those bottles may still be around town or at the brewery. I haven't tried them but reviews seem mixed on both.

Zipline has a Rum BA Barleywine going around right now that sounds really good.

#11 LarkinW, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  12. Bonedizzle

if you are looking for take home IPAs I would suggest white elm inverted citra cans and kros strain fairy nectar bottles.

if you need or missed out on a CBS i could probably hook you up with one as well.

13. SDRedDevil

SDRedDevil Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2011 California

Hey all so reading a little bit of this threat I have a bit of an odd question to ask. It seems like Omaha gets pretty big distro and Beertopia has a lot of local stuff...I have been working on a beer can map for the last year or so (not in a huge rush) based off of cans I have acquired through travel or trades (screen printed cans not just labels). I am looking for cans from Nebraska, N/S Dakota, and Montana. Does Omaha get distro from those states (Lewis and Clark, Fargo, Fernson, etc...)? If so please msg me!

LarkinW likes this.
  14. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Nebraska Brewing distributes to California via Craft Beer Guild.

15. intotherfd

intotherfd Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Nebraska

Used to live in Nebraska but now I’m in SD... pm me and I should be able to get you hooked up with stuff from all the states your looking for.

SDRedDevil likes this.
  16. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Grand Pooh-Bah (5,364) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I hate to start a new thread for such a specific question...

I lived in Omaha for about 9 months (2013-2014) and had, according to my notes, the best barleywine I've ever had. I had it on draft at the brewery.

It was an Upstream beer called Middle Earth. My notes:

"See through deep ruby color. Decent off-white head; nice lacing. Best barleywine nose ever? A perfect meld of caramel & hops; neither cloying nor bitter. Thick mouthfeel. Complex flavor; caramel, citrus, cognac, oak, plums. Somehow it comes together effortlessly. Stunnersville. Transcends the genre."

2 issues:

1) This beer doesn't seem to exist, at least as far as the internet goes
    2) I believe the beer was draft only, but if there are any bottles, I'd pretty much give a kidney up to get one.

Any Nebraskans have any recollections/info on this beer?

17. Ristaccia

Ristaccia Maven (1,452) Nov 21, 2012 Nebraska

Almost certainly a one-off brew from them, and I don't recall it ever being bottled.

18. KiddVideo

KiddVideo Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2015 Minnesota

I don't know the Nebraska beer group's name but KFAN in the Twin Cities sure has been advertising for the breweries in Nebraska lately on the radio.

19. BarrelAgeMe

BarrelAgeMe Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2015 Nebraska

Omaha folks... I found a bottle of BA Darkness last Friday in Council Bluffs. Super pumped b/c it didn't seem Nebraska got any regular or BA this year, or if they did it wasn't much and definitely not readily available.... Anyway Saturday I was moving beer from my garage to the basement fridge and fucking dropped the BA Darkness on the tile in front of the fridge, total smash job. If anyone has an extra bottle I would forever in debt if you would be willing to part with it. Big ask, I know... let me know if you can help!

20. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Headed to Omaha for a week this coming Monday with my in-laws. What's new that I should be looking for? I was last there over Christmas. Any Farmer Wave still hanging around?

Sammy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.