Beer and Orange Juice = Beermosa

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prep8611

Prep8611 Savant (1,208) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Allagash white with a splash of orange juice is my favorite.

HoppingMadMonk and 7irondave like this.
  2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Please, don't. Just don't.

3. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Savant (1,212) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

#guezemosa
    The Broken Truck - mosa caused some serious meltdowns on TB and the Tin Cup's social media.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

smi69, kool-aid and 7irondave like this.
  4. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Pundit (791) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Drink a Colt 45 down to the top of the label, fill to the top with OJ, give it a couple of shakes. You're in business.

ericwo likes this.
  5. EvenMoreJesus

Let me expound upon why Beer Mimosas/Beermosas don't work.

1) Most beer is not as highly carbonated as champagne/sparkling wine
    2) Most beer is not as high ABV as champagne/sparkling wine

This goofs up the ratios needed to make a solid mixture of alcoholic beverage and juice.

6. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Yeah, this is what I've found to work the best, wheat/witbiers and OJ; at least from a flavor perspective. It's hard to replicate, as @EvenMoreJesus said, the carbonation and higher ABV of a champagne. So it's not a true beer alternative to a mimosa but it tastes good, IMO. A few local restaurants around here offer the witbier/OJ combo for brunch as a mimosa alternative.

7. anfield86

anfield86 Pooh-Bah (2,594) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You mean a brass monkey? Not a fan personally (yes, I am aware that the beastie boys song is actually about the spirit cocktail of the same name)

The only "beer cocktail" I do enjoy is a michelada (or a bloody mary with a side beer to mix in if they can't do that). Oh man, they're great hangover killers. Michelada with a plate of carne seca, huevos ranchers or a nice breakfast burrito (all preferably from Poco & Mom's in Tucson) cured many-a-hangover when I was living out west.

BWood and offthelevel_bytheplumb like this.
  8. EvenMoreJesus

IMO, it's hard to hit that sweet spot for alcoholic beverages at less than 6% ABV and when you mix beer (specifically witbier) with OJ, you're probably getting less than half of that.

9. anfield86

anfield86 Pooh-Bah (2,594) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think it's equally hilarious that they used the worst OJ available....might as well mix it with Sunny D or Tang

donspublic and Prince_Casual like this.
  10. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Grand Pooh-Bah (4,679) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've had a beer-miss a few times at weyerbacher brewery. They used an orange infused ale if I recall,it was pretty good

VABA likes this.
  11. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

I might even be able to choke down a sour/berliner weiss/gose with OJ

12. mschrei

mschrei Grand Pooh-Bah (4,983) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Iron and Glass in Romeoville does a Sofiemosa. Haven't tried it yet, but I think I may have a bottle around here to experiment with.

13. patoriqq

patoriqq Initiate (131) Jun 13, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Goose Island served Sofie and orange juice at this years Baconfest in Chicago. If it is true that BCS distribution is based on Sofie sales it might help your local liquor store if Sofiemosas are on the Christmas morning menu.

14. kool-aid

kool-aid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2017 Vermont

Had one before with witbier, champagne and OJ. It was absolutely amazing. If you make a mimosa station so people can make regular ones, and add the White as an option, I bet it would be very successful. I wouldn't waste the Trillium on this, though. Save it for afterwards- pop the bottle and share it with the people who enjoyed the beermosa instead of the regular.

15. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

no thanks of rthe beer mimosa, last Christmas I had a car bomb for breakfast, a nice bracer for the day. try it

beertrip and 7irondave like this.
  16. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Midas touch by Dogfish Head would be interesting to use. It's a higher ABV and made with grapes.

17. EvenMoreJesus

If there's a way to have a happier Christmas, I don't know of it.

beertrip and GormBrewhouse like this.
  18. Burt

Burt Maven (1,414) Nov 27, 2005 Rhode Island

A restaurant near me that serves breakfast has a beer and o.j. combo and they call it a "Manmosa" They use Allagash White and orange juice. Pretty tasty.

19. EvenMoreJesus

At a probable ABV of 2.5%, I don't think "Manmosa" is the right name.

20. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I've only tried a beermosa with an ipa, I believe it was two hearted. I wouldn't waste any rare beers on one, and don't add too much oj. No harm in experimentin though. I made a small beer float with a small portion of speedway stout just to see if it worked. Rootbeer is much better imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.