Southeastern PA - news, releases, updates, etc. (2018)

Discussion in 'New England' started by jmdrpi, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houser

Houser Pooh-Bah (1,662) Sep 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

diacetyl?

nesarebad, NodEast and zekeman17 like this.
  2. khainsey94

khainsey94 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2016 Pennsylvania

I'm a fan of going to new breweries and seeing what the brewers are doing, but at the same time, I'm more excited about the good breweries getting better. Look at Stickman. They've put out some excellent beers recently. There are a few new places I'm excited about (like Pottstown United Brewing), but when I have a brewery like Hidden River right up the road, it makes me a little reluctant to go to a new brewery just to go "eh it was beer."

3. Kadonny

Kadonny Pooh-Bah (2,582) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, while the rest of us have to sit and listen to these kids running around and screaming. Fun.

Sorry, not to blast you personally, but this is a sore spot for me. You made the choice to have kids, make the choice to not drag them along to your drinking location so YOU can enjoy yourself at the kids expense and the expense of the other guests. When our kids were small, guess what, we did things to entertain them, not us. Thats what you do as a parent, sacrifice yourself for your kids when they are young. It's the right thing to do.

Sorry, off my soapbox now. But this is one thing that bothers me at these newer type breweries. It's alot of me, me, me crowd.

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

One of the beers suffered from diacetyl. The other had a metallic off taste and I can't recall the off-flavor that the ESB had off the top of my head.

Cheers!

5. Houser

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

you sound like a real peach.

nesarebad, dagimp and beer_me_phl like this.
  6. kdb150

kdb150 Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Guess what pal, my kids are people, too. They also enjoy going places and seeing other people. Yes, they sometimes can be loud, and they like to move around. That's why I take them to places where the ambient noise is already loud, so that they don't bother people when they decide to be loud, and where if they want to go run around outside they can. That's why I generally don't take them to quieter places where they'd be expected to sit still for a while.

If you don't like people, that's your problem, not mine. I'm not going to limit where I take my kids on account of misanthropes.

7. Kadonny

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Actually, I'm a really nice guy. Ask people here who have met me. Just becuase I'm being honest about what a lot of us are thinking while these type things happen, don't try to paint me as something I'm not becuase you have no idea who I am.

I love people, has nothing to do with that......pal. I love kids too. What I don't love is kids running around out of control screaming in public places where other adults of age are tryng to sit and relax and enjoy a few brews. No regard for others.

Why not be honest. Your kids like to go to breweries and watch you drink? Just so I'm getting that right. After all, they are people, why not ask them what they'd rather be doing.

YamBag, schteve and NodEast like this.
  8. TomFoley

TomFoley Pundit (933) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

See Levante at the Stables. At least the time I was there. At one point Lori and I were sitting near the entrance, and it was amusing to watch couples walk in, stop dead in their tracks, and stare at the horror before them. One couple stared at the mess, looked at each other and walked out.

NodEast and Kadonny like this.
  9. kdb150

kdb150 Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

You love kids as long as they don't act like kids? No, it sounds like you don't actually like kids at all. Otherwise you wouldn't view their presence as an intrusion on your oh-so-precious "adult time."

You want a controlled environment? Stay in your house. If you're going to go places that welcome "the public," then deal with the public, instead of being judgmental about which parts of the public you don't want to be subjected to.

My kids like spending time with me and my wife, generally. We frequently do things that they like to do. Occasionally we do things that my wife and I like to do, such as visit breweries, and they always say yes when asked if they want to go. I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense for the kids pick 100% of the activities we do together.

From a parenting perspective I think it makes more sense to demonstrate how compromise works within the family unit, but thanks for your parenting advice.

ericwo likes this.
  10. Donco

Donco Pooh-Bah (1,615) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Came and went very quickly (as often in Philly with certain brands). Was able to snag one 6 pack @ Wegmans and another at Beer Yard. Was told they received a very small shipment. Boo to Lagunitas distributor.

11. Houser

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

i said you sounded like a peach.

12. Kadonny

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Again, this is a brewery. If I go to a place that serves adult beverages, I expect an enviroment that would pair with people drinking adult beverages, not a playground. Just because it's a public place it doesn't mean you have free reign to do whatever or let your kids do whatever you/they like. This is why our society is the way it is today. No one has the guts anymore to tell people no. It's all about the money. It's the same reason Home Depot, or my bank or my grocery store lets people bring in dogs. No one has the guts to tell them no for fear of losing business. It doesn't matter what's right or wrong as long as you spend.

No problem. Hopefully your kids grow up to be succesful as my 3 have all been.

It's the sound of honesty. Not heard much these days anymore.

13. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,122) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Regarding children at breweries, I was once at a biergarten in Hoboken, NJ (I forget the name) on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and it was loaded with kids, many in strollers. At some point after waiting a long time for food a kid jumped on top of the picnic table I was seated at and climbed across it right next to me! I'm fucking eating here! WTF! A second kid who was following him, chasing him I guess, jumped up but when he saw the anger in my face he dropped down and went another way.

I'm all for having kids in breweries/restaurants to begin with but when it gets out of hand I have to object, and I'll just say "some people ruin it for others" - if it was up to me kids would not be allowed.

Budlum, DonObiWan, schteve and 4 others like this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Jim, I too have seen children misbehaving like you described in your post at breweries. A thought that would pop into my mind when I witnessed this stuff was: parents would not let their children behave at a restaurant like that so why do they think it is acceptable to let them behave this way here?

Cheers!

Kadonny, ECdOc and NodEast like this.
  15. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,122) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@JackHorzempa said "parents would not let their children behave at a restaurant like that so why do they think it is acceptable to let them behave this way here?"

You've got me on that one Jack, I have no clue other than I expect that they're enjoying their beers and getting a little toasted.

Once again I was born too early, I should have been born a millennial !!!!!!!!!! I had to take my kids to fucking Chuck E. Cheese's to let them run around!

bret717, DonObiWan, Kadonny and 3 others like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

And I suppose my comment will intimate that I am an old fuddy duddy but: thank you for bringing your children to a place like Chuck E. Cheese vs. a brewery when they wanted to roughhouse.

Cheers!

17. makalarch

makalarch Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

I think we need to start this thread over.

18. Houser

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

has anyone seen any instances of children actually behaving? someone referenced society, and, to me, soceity likes to complain about an isolated incident or an exception to the norm rather than complimenting the good behaviors experienced every day.

heavyspaghetti likes this.
  19. makalarch

makalarch Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

But in all seriousness as far as taking kids to breweries I'm not sure I have taken them strictly to a brewery before now that I think about it but that's why we enjoy Victory and the Ferm, they have zero acoustic deadening in those places and we treat them like restaurants with brewing on the side.

Kadonny and NodEast like this.
  20. Kadonny

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

All the time. Restaurants, malls, airplanes, etc. All places kids could easily get rammy, yet somehow these parents have taught their kids how to act in public places. Kudos to them, I just wish everyone would do this rather than thinking every public place is their kids playground with no regard for others.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

#100 Kadonny, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    muchos and NickCaff like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.