New BA Score, Histograms & More Updates (Part Two)

Blog Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Sep 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrs

rrs Initiate (139) Aug 8, 2015 Maryland

For all of the readers and beer aficionados out there I understand the ratings. From a simple marketing perspective the new rating system is awful, people that see a rating of 5 do not understand the numbers, a number below a 5 may even make some people pass on a fantastic beer. If I have a sign at the bar describing a beer that BA gives a 100 World Class people are going to buy that beer or perhaps if it it is a 9 out of 10 that might be acceptable. You would need to put a sign up explaining the ratings. A 5, not so much. Now I am looking at a beer that is on tap and it falls from a 100 to a 4.16, 100 will sell beer, a 4.16 not so much because people just are not that aware of multiple rating systems. People buying a pint will just want to look at a number that is high and makes sense to them. They do want to have to think a lot about it. I am going to look at multiple sites now and choose the site which markets the beer the best for sales. Sorry, I am still an avid reader but to sell beer we have to have stuff that makes sense to the public. One thing you may want to update is say a 4.0 to 5.0 is outstanding to a 0-1.0 being awful, just a thought that might add clarity.

Cheers!

tmac likes this.
  2. tmac

tmac Devotee (304) Oct 21, 2005 New Hampshire

It looks like I'm in the minority here - I really miss the 0-100 scores and this change significantly reduces the sites utility for me. Why not keep the 0-100 alongside the 5 pt scale?

3. papposilenus

papposilenus Grand Pooh-Bah (3,208) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I JUST suddenly realized how brilliant the histograms are. I think I love you.

Mike and Todd like this.
  4. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You can crush on @Mike for that one.

Bitterbill, Shanex and papposilenus like this.
  5. papposilenus

papposilenus Grand Pooh-Bah (3,208) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If @Mike can add a time axis so I can see how a brewer's aggregate ratings develop over time I'll have his babies.

Harrison8, kuhndog, Fox82791 and 2 others like this.
  6. Kemblain

Kemblain Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2018 New York

I would love to be able to see the individual averages of the look/smell/taste/feel/overall ratings, in addition to the combined score.

seakayak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.