Asheville, Blue Ridge Mountains, and Charlottesville Breweries

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by Adventure44, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adventure44

Adventure44 Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2018 Illinois

We are going to spend 3 nights in Asheville. I am overwhelmed by the amount of breweries. My liver can not handle trying everywhere. What would you recommend? My favorite styles are: Brown, Amber, Wit, Porters, Stouts, Red, ESB. I do like barreled age. It seems like there are a lot of breweries focusing on sours right now in Asheville. I will enjoy an IPA, but it needs to be balanced. I know I have just alienated myself by not liking sours and extremely hoppy beers. We have gone on double digit large brewery tours (Allagash, Founders, Lagunitas, Sam Adams, Harpoon....), so unless you would highly recommend it we are thinking about skipping the bigger breweries.

We will also be having lunch around Roanoke as we travel through the blue ridge mountains. We are going to spend the night in Charlottesville. Where should we stop?

Thanks for the feedback!

BRLockwood likes this.
  2. abb610

abb610 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina

3. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Pooh-Bah (2,397) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

C'ville - I'd recommend Champion and Three Notch'd. South Street is OK, you can eat lunch there, but parking is a nightmare. Have not been to Reason or Random Row so can't comment.

Roanoke - Parkway is huge and right off the interstate, Soaring Ridge is deep downtown, I recall liking them both, in order of preference. Can't comment on the other (lots of) breweries in Roanoke/Salem but that will change for me this summer.

BRLockwood and Adventure44 like this.
  4. Reef

Reef Pooh-Bah (2,449) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Are you remotely interested in trains?
    [​IMG]
    The Virginia Museum of Transportation in the Old N&W freight depot in Roanoke is Mecca.
    Otherwise, keep going to Charlottesville.

5. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Blue Ridge- Fannin Brewing, Grumpy Old Men, Blueridge Brewing, Mercier Orchards.

Asheville- Like, 60 breweries. You must not have searched anything to ask.

6. fadgen

fadgen Devotee (336) May 5, 2005 California

In Cvle Beer run is a nice place to eat and grab a beer. Haven’t been to hardywood, but the Richmond location is super nice and they make outstanding non-iPas, and (personal opinion) are unmatched in va for their barrel aged beers.

Dechutes in Roanoke is small but has a nice selection and big lick is good and very cool.

Even if you’ve been to a lot of big breweries, go to Sierra in mills river.

7. Adventure44

The amount of breweries is overwhelming! Most places just list breweries. I like more traditional beers that is why I am asking for advice.

8. seanchai

seanchai Maven (1,418) May 23, 2009 Virginia

Based on what you listed as your favored styles, I think you would like Reason in Cville. the beers are very balanced and nuanced, not hit you over the head hoppy (which I like as well but realize that's not to everyone's taste). Random Row does a good job with some of the malty examples you listed as well.

Adventure44 likes this.
  9. Subcontrabass

Subcontrabass Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2014 North Carolina

It sounds like you're looking for mostly English-style beers and straightforward brews. Here are a few places you might like:

Green Man
    started out brewing only English style ales. They've since expanded their portfolio, but they have a good ESB and a good Porter. Two taprooms on the South Slope: GreenMansion and Dirty Jack's. I prefer Dirty Jack's, but YMMV.

Highland
    brewing is the oldest in Asheville. Their brewery is a little ways outside of downtown, but a short Uber ride away. Their Gaelic Ale is an old standard Amber and they have a good new seasonal wit. Their Oatmeal Porter and Black Mocha Stout would also likely be up your alley.

Hi-Wire has two locations: one on the South Slope that focuses on funky beers (probably not your thing) and the "Big Top" in Biltmore Village that has more classic styles. Their Bed of Nails Brown is good and the Big Top always seems to have a bunch of lagers on tap.

Zebulon Artisan Ales is a little north of Asheville in Weaverville, but I think you may like some of their stuff. They do funky/sour beers, but also a lot of historical recipes for porters, stouts, and whatnot. Their hours are pretty limited, so check before you drive up there.

French Broad is in Biltmore Village kinda nearish to Hi-Wire's Big Top. They have an ESB and a Scotch ale you might like.

10. Adventure44

Does the Hi-Wire Downtown have only sours? Are the flagship beers also on tap? We are staying downtown.

11. Adventure44

12. nas4atu

nas4atu Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 North Carolina

Definitely do not miss Sierra Nevada in Mills River, whether you've been to a dozen big breweries or not, it's a must imo.

13. Adventure44

There has to be something better than trains

14. treznor

treznor Pooh-Bah (1,814) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is a pretty solid list of breweries that doesn't focus only on IPAs and sours. I'd say I have one negation and one addition. To me, the only good beer that Hi-Wire puts out is their sours. I think I've tried maybe one or two of their non-sours that I thought were decent but that's it. My additional would be (surprise, surprise) Burial. Yes, its focuses largely on IPAs and Saisons, but also does a number of solid Porters and Stouts.

As someone else said, even if you've been to a ton of large breweries, you should try to get to Sierra Nevada. Its like the Disneyland of breweries with all that copper... The food is damn good, and there's usually a couple beers that aren't widely distributed. Just try to avoid the weekends.

dogleg_left, montman and Adventure44 like this.
  15. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

If you do the Southern Hi Wire brew facility, and then decide to try French Broad, then I would also suggest Hillman Brewing, right where you turn to go to French Broad. They can be surprisingly good. Then swing by Highland if you're still standing. Cheers.

Adventure44 likes this.
  16. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Aspirant (245) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

FINALLY an Asheville thread where nobody has suggested the Funkatorium! Although Burial has already been brought up in a desperate attempt to apply their beer to every possible request for suggestions. Burial is not a match for this query, sorry. Even their stouts and porters are so mucked up and non-traditional they should have to call them something else.

Subcontrabass has given solid suggestions for what you ask. Green Man is the one you want, and I also prefer Dirty Jack's rather than the big shiny place (try them both--they're side by side). Their ESB is a village standby and even their IPA is the closest you'll find to what you want--most balanced in town.

Highland's porter is probably the best standard porter in town (Green Man's is a close 2nd). Gaelic ale has gone downhill recently but is still worth having. They are outside of downtown but they have the coolest space to visit and free live music at least 4 nights a week. Check their website for closings--they do events and big concerts regularly.

French Broad is hit or miss for me. I'd try their beers on tap if I saw them, but don't know that I'd make it a priority to visit.

That said, Hillman Brewing down the street from FB is worth visiting. Great ESB, and Mommabeer brown and robust porter are solid. They usually have something darker, non-hoppy and non-sour in an XL version also, such as their current imperial stout (9.5%) and English Barleywine (9.8%).

If you don't want to leave the downtown/south slope area, ignore the calls to go to Sierra Nevada. However if you're open to it they will most likely have several styles right up your alley, including a dark mild.

Some taprooms worth mentioning: Jack of the Wood is a cool pub with live music, Barley's is a pizza joint featuring lots of local beer, and Mellow Mushroom boasts that it has the most taps in town.

Don't bother with Burial or Wicked Weed. God it felt good to say that. Again.

As for Roanoke, yes there is more than trains. However a lunch stop is not an easy thing to suggest as most of the brewery taprooms are in the downtown area and a little off your path (assuming you're going north on 81).

Deschutes is downtown Roanoke and a fun place to go, but no food.

Wasena City Taproom has great food and 32 taps to choose from, with a 'smattering' of locals, but it may be hard to get to.

Parkway in Salem is very good and an easy on-off from the interstate, but they only feature food trucks (although you can bring your own food there if you choose). Raven's Roost is a solid porter and I see they have an 'imperial brown' on (10%), whatever that is.

Olde Salem Brewing is a new kid on the block, is easy to get to, has some good beers in your preferred styles, but again no food. You can bring it in though.

I might suggest Mac & Bob's, a local hangout for a long time with solid food choices and a well-curated taplist. Five minutes off 81 at exit 140.

Have fun.

lateralusbeer and Adventure44 like this.
  17. Adventure44

Thanks for taking the time to provide a complete list!

18. treznor

treznor Pooh-Bah (1,814) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So someone that likes Browns, Porters, and Stouts shouldn't go somewhere with Skillet Donut, Bolo Brown, Tin Cup, Winnower, and Ulfbercht? Not to mention their one-offs like Griddle, Voorhammer, and Houtenhammer? I mean you can have an opinion about a place, but saying Burial is definitely 'not a match' seems... odd. I'm not saying Burial is the only option (or even the best option for this particular query), but its definitely a solid option.

19. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Count one more against Burial. Their darker beers are always thin and the adjuncts are done poorly with zero flavor or taste additions. They need to stick to hops and leave the malt forward beers alone.

20. TomCat11

TomCat11 Pooh-Bah (2,062) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

On your way up from Roanoke to Charlottesville you should definitely check out Redbeard in Staunton and Basic City in Waynesboro. Looking for a good spot for brunch/ lunch / dinner around Charlottesville I would recommend Blue Mountain. Fantastic food with a wide variety of styles of beer. Trying to recommend places not already mentioned (just to make your decision tougher :slight_smile: )

if you are looking for balance then I agree with the Reason Beer suggestion. Nothing overly hoppy and some of the best "to style" beers in the area. Owner / head brewer used to be Director of Brewery Operations at Maine Beer. They were also recently named one of the top 50 new breweries in 2017 by BA.

JMUbrewz and Adventure44 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.