Visiting Tampa/St.Pete/Orlando? LOOK HERE FIRST! Late winter/spring 2018 recommendations

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by The_FishermanJay, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nolanz14

nolanz14 Pundit (791) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Anything I should hit in the Clearwater/Dunedin area? I'll be in that area for a few weeks this summer. Someone mentioned Calendonia in Dunedin and I've already been to 7vth Sun.

2. odsbodkins

odsbodkins Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2010 Georgia

Woodwright brewing is a cool place with some good traditional beers but 7venth is my favorite beers in the area. Arkane is a little further south in Largo.

nolanz14 and Thirst_trappist like this.
  3. Viclovescourtney

Viclovescourtney Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2016 Florida

Arkane in largo especially if you are into sours.

nolanz14, Bfairhurst74 and jloomis like this.
  4. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Pundit (936) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

If you’re here for WEEKS, you have time to get out and explore North Pinellas. There are nearly a half-dozen breweries in Dunedin alone these days. Spread that north along Alternate 19 into Tarpon Springs and you can hit four or five more, including Saint Somewhere (making world-class saisons) ... and eat some delicious Greek food.

5. cwargo

cwargo Initiate (0) May 18, 2014 South Carolina

Anything being released this coming weekend in Tampa area...thanks! Coming from SC if anyone needs anything lmk

johnyb likes this.
  6. wjbent

wjbent Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2017 Florida

Nothing concrete for a release that I know of. Cycle has a Rum Barrel DBR variant that they said "maybe" coming this week and still has RareR DOS available. Angry Chair releases are mostly silent these days, but there are rumors of Barrel Aged Woke coming soon...

7. johnyb

johnyb Pooh-Bah (2,272) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Angry Chair Saturday @9am, don’t get there late as it’ll be gone by 10

cwargo and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  8. Jarnet87

Jarnet87 Crusader (428) Jul 30, 2014 Florida

may be doing a trip up to Tampa/St. Pete soonish, any hotel recommendations? Really just looking for something centrally located as the plan would be to hit up some St Pete breweries one day (and maybe a Tampa one on the way back) and then a few Tampa breweries the other day. Only hotel I stayed at there recently was the Hilton near the Stadium and Cigar City but that was for a game.

9. cwargo

cwargo Initiate (0) May 18, 2014 South Carolina

I'd check airbnb...here this weekend only $110 per night near angry chair for a whole house.

10. outtawack311

outtawack311 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2009 Florida

I'm an Orlando resident and i'll put in my 2 cents on the first post.

- GB Bottle shop - It's also a bar with a $2 capping fee. It ends up being one of the cheaper and better places to drink great beer.
    - Ivanhoe Park Brewing is opening next Friday a couple blocks away from GB and Ten10. I have had 3 of their beers from tapshares in other breweries and everything is top notch so far.
    - Market on Magnolia has a damn good beer selection downtown, but it's not difficult to find good places to drink downtown orlando.
    - House of Beer in Hunter's creek near disney is a good spot
    - Crooked Can's beer isn't worth the drive. If you are over there head in, but most of it is meh
    -Ellipsis is my favorite brewery in town right now. Some of the best NE IPAs in the state (outside of civil society in Jupiter)
    -Ocean Sun is highly rated, but stay away. It's awful, but gets good ratings because the people in the neighborhood back it. If you fall for it...
    - Roque Pub next door to Ocean Sun has a damn good selection
    - Cloak and Blaster near UCF has a really good and unique beer selection and a ton of boardgames
    -Hourglass has some unique beer, but nothing great.
    -I hear great things about half barrel beer project near universal studios
    -Downtown Sanford has 4 breweries in a small area and multiple craft beer bars. I honestly haven't been yet.
    - Broken Strings and Black Cauldron are in one tap room. They usually have 1 or 2 pretty good beers on tap, but it's kinda in the ghetto near the soccer stadium. They are trying to build up that area. It's a good spot to start before heading to Tap and Grind and the rest of downtown.
    -Orange County Brewers was pretty good when it opened, but has gone downhill. They apparently have someone from crooked can helping them now so i'm not sure if i'll be back.

If all else fails, there are multiple World of Beers in the area.

11. ucfjon

ucfjon Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2016 Florida

Oblivion Taproom (mentioned in the 1st post) is now closed for good.

12. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Savant (1,216) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Oh damn really?

13. Thirst_trappist

Trader

FYI downtown sanford has good places to eat. But beyond deviant wolf ( new...decent so far)....the rest of the breweries are ones you can skip

If you like traditional German brews..then willow tree down there is a good place.

14. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Pundit (936) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

These last few posts about Orlando have been good. I am, sooner rather than later, going to post a summer 2018 version of this. I never get to Orlando and already had planned to remove it from here going forward. Perhaps one of you — @outtawack311, @ucfjon, @Thirst_trappist — will create and maintain one for the Orlando area.

15. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

Exactly. If you do find yourself in Sanford, Celery City is a good beer bar with 50+ taps and huge out door area.

16. GameFreac

GameFreac Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia

This place is 5 mins from my hotel Saturday...thanks for the tip!

17. Thirst_trappist

Trader

Owner there is a cool guy. He'd always send a dm thanking me for visit. Nice touch imo

Place isn't very big. But nice selection. They also allow shares.

18. Thirst_trappist

Trader

IdI keep Orlando in the thread..... It's small enough on the craft beer map to not need it's own thread.

19. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,837) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think the issue is that @MHorridge does not visit the Orlando area enough to provide the initial list / keep it up to date - he took over this posting from another BA who used to visit the Orlando area more frequently.

@MHorridge Thanks for keeping up the list as long as you have and I completely understand that as someone that is volunteering to maintain info, it becomes impractical to upkeep a place you are not familiar with. If you need to split it, go for it (the Tampa/St Pete list is pretty valuable in and of itself).

20. GameFreac

GameFreac Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia

Nice

I messaged him on instagram to see if they still had Black Project bottles and he said he would set one aside for me...stoked!

Thirst_trappist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.