Jim Gaffigan hates craft beer: "they're all bad."

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbrando33

mbrando33 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2015 California

The fact that anyone takes this seriously enough to respond to it on Twitter is almost as funny as the comedian himself.

PatrickCT, Nickwierda and seakayak like this.
  2. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Like THIS?
    Worse is when beer nerds are also coffee nerds... and they exist, I know some of the personally....

BBThunderbolt and JackHorzempa like this.
  3. drh88

drh88 Pundit (786) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania

I found it mildly amusing. It's very Andy Rooney-ish in its social commentary. Not offended one bit.

sharpski likes this.
  4. AndyH

AndyH Crusader (419) May 25, 2006 Minnesota

Benish and Beer_Economicus like this.
  5. Lahey

Lahey Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Like this site doesn't have enough trolls as it is:wink:

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  6. Lahey

I find one thing funny. If a newbie signed up on this site to bash craft beer because it doesn't "taste like beer", they'd be torn apart by everyone more or less. Because this guy said the same thing in a "funny" way, he gets pats on the back. Oh to be rich and famous. (Or maybe pastry stouts and hazy ipas have split the craft community to an extent I didn't realize? Now we side with dilly dilly guy instead of the autumnal mead bloke?)

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  7. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Oh, that newbie would definitely have some backers :wink::sunglasses:.

LeRose, BBThunderbolt and Lahey like this.
  8. Lahey

True. Many people back someone based on a broad proclamation. Unfortunately, the devil's in the details:sunglasses: (like, what other styles of beer does he dislike?)

TongoRad likes this.
  9. TongoRad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just to pick up on where my earlier post left off, 'craft beer' does seem to have an image problem for being simultaneously pretentious and frivolous. Those commercials and bits like Gaffigan's are just a window into how that dynamic is playing out lately; so if you don't like it, just keep in mind that it's largely self-inflicted.

And of course that mead dude should be sent to the dungeon! Not for the choice of beverage, but for the tone deaf lack of social graces :wink:.

LeRose, bret717, cavedave and 4 others like this.
  10. Lahey

Of course, there is a lot of pretentious people involved wherever any luxury item is involved. I totally get making fun of it too. I think Gaffigan just doesn't hit my funny bone and BA seemed like it would be a tough room for that bit.

And yes, asking for tasting notes in a bud light bar calls for the pit of misery. Watch out though, BA is starting to dig that pit for Haze and pastry lovers:wink:

LeRose and TongoRad like this.
  11. TongoRad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, but that last part just seems to be a natural occurrence of 'obnoxiousness begets obnoxiousness' :slight_smile:. More of a pillow fight, imo, too.

LeRose, drtth and Lahey like this.
  12. Lahey

Yeah, it's kind of funny watching people hate on something they kind of like because there's too much of it. God we have it good.

TongoRad likes this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I like how you classify Guinness and stout separately. I need to start doing that more.

bubseymour likes this.
  14. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I listen to the Rodney Dangerfield channel on Pandora, and he's "Gaffigan "is one of my least favorite comedians on there. I just don't think he's all that funny. Love Carlins takes, easily my favorite. But I love that you get a rotation of comedians, I also like Chris Rock, and obviously Rodney.

rgordon, Lahey and Beer_Economicus like this.
  15. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I thought it was funny (especially how fancy beers need a bottle opener).
    I also thought he was accurate in that he probably rarely/never does find any good beer at all the craft places around the country. Especially if:
    a) you do no research on good/bad breweries and just randomly walk into one in town
    b) you aren't really into craft beers anyway and prefer more common lagers /macros

Probably 90%+ chance your getting average to crappy beer on a randon brewery visit asking for a random style of beer you never had before.

Coronaeus and TongoRad like this.
  16. Lahey

I didn't even think of listening to comedians on pandora.... Thanks for the great idea!

nc41 likes this.
  17. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey

I agree. I like Jim Gaffigan (although I’ve never seen his actual act) but I didn’t find it all that clever. Same, it didn’t offend me either. I think people maybe got a little riled up at the part where he said “it’s all bad.” I have a Heineken/Stella drinking friend who has the same view and is always busting my balls about craft at gatherings. I’ve had him taste several no frills craft lagers and he even claims those taste like shit. Weird.

Lahey likes this.
  18. Mic_bg

Mic_bg Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2018 Arizona

Come on man that was hilarious. Gaffigan always brings the laughs.

#79 Mic_bg, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2018
  19. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I'm not sure if you are making a joke about this type of bit likely also being in Gaffigan's repertoire, but I definitely read your post in his voice.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.