Sours in Northern NJ?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mani, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mani

mani Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2012 New Jersey

Looking to try sours for the first time. What are some good intro sours that I need to try?

2. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 California

Where are you located? This is going to be a big factor, as quite a few sours aren't available everywhere.

3. codysjb

codysjb Pundit (994) Jun 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Oud Beersel is pretty widely available and is one of my favorite. It's also much easier to obtain than some other Belgian lambics. It's an excellent baseline and starting point to judge other sours from.

standardcherry likes this.
  4. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2008 Georgia

Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Rene - available pretty much everywhere, relatively inexpensive, very tasty

TongoRad, Zach136 and youbrewidrink like this.
  5. BleepBloopBlap

BleepBloopBlap Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2011 Massachusetts

As far as widely available stuff - try Duchesse Du Bourgogne, Rodenbach Grand Cru, the aforementioned Cuvee Renee, Petrus Oud Bruin and Petrus Aged pale. Should be a good start for ya.

TongoRad, Zach136 and checktherhyme like this.
  6. BarFreed

BarFreed Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012

I tasted the Rodenbach Grand Cru this weekend, and I would highly recommend it for a widely available sour. Chase the funk!

7. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Pundit (890) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Duchesse de Bourgogne is my favorite and its pretty much everywhere.

8. Zach136

Zach136 Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2012 Georgia

I would avoid Lambics until you're sure you like sours. They typically tend to be "harsher", and more expensive.

2nd to the Lindeman's Gueuze. Rodenbach Vintage Oak Aged (any Vintage) is a good Flanders Red to start with relatively inexpensively. On the off chance you can find New Belgium's La Follie on the shelves, its arguably one of the best sours brewed in America.

Berliner Weissbier is also a sour style to try. Bell's Oarsman shouldn't be hard to find. Professor Fritz Briem 1809 is another good highlight of the style. Personally, I love Weissbier's and I enjoy sours, but the Berliner doesn't do it for me.

9. buddha5050

buddha5050 Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2012 Michigan

I'm a little bias because I live only 20 min from them but, I love Jolly Pumpkin. They do alot of great beers and they are all soured, thats their thing. Now I don't know your location but these are some I would recomend from them if you can get your hands on them. La Roja, La Parcela (seasonal), Biere De Mars, Luciernaga The Firefly (summer), Weizen Bam Biere, Bam Biere (saisson/farmhouse), Madrugada Obscura, Noel De Calabaza just to name a few...

benz08 likes this.
  10. SecondStage1983

SecondStage1983 Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Washington

both Rodenbach Grand Cru and The Duchesse are my favorite Sours, hell even beer

11. mani

mani Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2012 New Jersey

I'm located in the Norther NJ, so the New Belgium is out.

Thank you for the replies. My local spot has a pretty good selection, just didn't know where to begin. The above list should be a good start.

12. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thread moved. Subject line ("Sours") altered to be less vague. Good luck.

13. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A couple more to add to the list:
    Liefman's Goudenband, an Oud Bruin
    and Cuvee de Jacobins Rouge, a Flanders Red
    both shouldn't be too hard to track down, and aren't too pricey. Worth every penny and then some, in any event.

14. thecommish101831

thecommish101831 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2010 District of Columbia
    Deactivated

Bells and New Belgium aren't in NJ

15. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Maven (1,409) Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

Everyone already said this, but just to clarify, the Rodenbach Grand Cru and Duchesse De Bourgogne should be available at any store worth visiting in North Jersey. I'm from North Jersey also and am curious to hear what to try also. Never quite sure what to look for when I'm at the store, and am far too lazy to really look that hard.

16. axeman9182

axeman9182 Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2009 New Jersey

Rodenbach Grand Cru and Petrus Aged Pale would be my first two recommendations, and then you can take it from there.

17. benz08

benz08 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2008 New Jersey

I 2nd the Jolly Pumpkin post. I have been drinking craft beer for 9 years and still don't have a taste for sours but Jolly Pumpkin by all accounts makes excellent beers and though they are incredibly small are readily available at many of the better craft beer stores in North Jersey. Also I suggest following Captain Lawrence brewing on twitter because that is the only way they advertise their special sour releases now. And start small. Go with the commercially produced "sours" and "wild ales" first and see if you even have the taste buds for real sours.

18. rbschult

rbschult Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2012 Massachusetts

Gueuze Tilquin is fantastic as well. Blended by a man that studied under Jean van Roy (the Cantillon blender). Seems to be found at several stores around NYC including Whole Foods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.