Miller High Life vs Coors Banquet

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Warwick7, May 31, 2019.

?

Miller High Life vs Coors Banquet

1. Miller High Life

118 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Coors Banquet

114 vote(s)
    49.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beerluvr

beerluvr Pooh-Bah (1,826) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have a close relationship with MHL, it was the beer of choice among us young partying teens back in the late '70's/early 80's. Still have a few every once in a while. A nostalgia thing I guess, but the taste is far from terrible to my palate.

scootercrabb and Warwick7 like this.
  2. Warwick7

Warwick7 Crusader (493) May 25, 2019 Maryland

The MHL was a bit sweet for me till i let it warm up a little. But the box says September of this year so maybe its old and the hops faded.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  3. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Pooh-Bah (1,977) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

How far we’ve come as advocates that this can be the hottest thread now on BA. Bravo BAers!

Warwick7 likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

It is my understanding that Miller High Life has a 120 day (approx. 4 month) best by duration. Using a date of Sept. 15, 2019 for discussion purposes would ‘translate’ to a packaging date of around May 15, 2019. That would make these beers a little over 2 weeks old. Those beers are very fresh IMO.

Cheers!

Scrapss and Bitterbill like this.
  5. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

MillerCoors uses a "Pull Date" on their beers (essentially a "Best by" date, when their distributors are supposed to "pull" the beer off the shelves) - typically it's 17 weeks after packaging for their mainstream brands like High Life. A September, 2019 date would be pretty fresh.

Scrapss, Ranbot and Warwick7 like this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Too many changes at the same time, should have walked slower, and customers probably won’t have noticed. But beers like this can’t do floaties.

Crusader likes this.
  7. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's what they did do, according to Cornell's article:

KentT and JackHorzempa like this.
  8. surfcaster

surfcaster Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I grew up prob 30 miles from that brewery and you would have never known it was there based on how regular Schlitz just didn't seem to get pushed. Now the Bull line and Old Milwaukee beers seemed to really sell in my NC blue collar town. Were there other big sellers by Schlitz?

When Stroh's took over those brews and took over that giant brewery, Stroh's did show up for a while but petered out pretty fast --that would have been prob early 80s.

KentT likes this.
  9. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't know. I rated MHL quite a bit higher, but I have a nostalgic thing going on for Coors. There was a mystique about it because you couldn't get it in Ohio, and I've hauled a couple of camper loads halfway across the country. That said, if these two are the only choices available, I'll have a Diet Pepsi, thank you.

BrewmanCapote likes this.
  10. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

High Life is not bad but in my youth I remember enjoying MGD over highlife, I should of picked some today to test that.

BrewmanCapote and Warwick7 like this.
  11. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In the east, south and midwest, that was pretty much the Schlitz line-up - Schlitz, (eventually) Schlitz Light, Old Milwaukee and Schlitz Malt Liquor. In 1976, they claimed those 4 beers out of only 9 nationally-distributed brands - more than any other brewer. (The other 5, I guess - AB's Bud &Michelob, Miller HL & Lite and PBR?)

On the west coast and Hawaii, they also brewed Burgermeister (for a time - it was also a Hamm and a Pabst brand at different periods) and Primo.

Nearing the end in the late 70s they introduced the all-malt Erlanger - after a few other short-lived attempts - Tribute, I think was another- at a super-premium (the lack of one was another nail in their coffin, according to some industry analysts).

Premo88 and Bitterbill like this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

With so many breweries now brewing simple Lagers again, I reckon Erlanger would fit right in. And possibly excel.

KentT and Premo88 like this.
  13. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Like both with a nod to Coors. Hamm's is my personable favorite continually buy the 30pk also buy PBR.

Premo88 likes this.
  14. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Last I remember, Stroh sold the brand to Dubuque Star in 1987 (the following year Stroh bought the Augburger brand from the departing owner of Huber) - so who know who owns it nowadays, if anyone.

Premo88 likes this.
  15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

That's sad.

All Malt Lager, in this day and age, would be a great selling point, imho. I wonder why so few breweries brew them.

nc41 and Premo88 like this.
  16. Zorro

Zorro Grand Pooh-Bah (3,258) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Pooh-Bah

I grew up in the Western United States so Coors everywhere.

Warwick7 and Premo88 like this.
  17. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I personally cannot stand Bud Light due to the taste, how overly carbonated it seems, and it never seems to sit right with me after I have 2-3. I don't have that problem with any of the other beers I listed. I probably should've put regular Budwesier above Coors Light, just because Bud is a more well-rounded beer than Coors Light, but if someone offered me an 18-pack of each I would take the Coors Light box everyday of the week. It may just be the yeast that Budwesier uses that just doesn't do it for me.

Premo88 likes this.
  18. Reidrover

Reidrover Grand Pooh-Bah (4,622) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Much prefer Coors..but early 90s in GA..MHL frozen cold went down a treat.
    Does anyone remember Miller Red Label which appeared briefly..I liked that one

Warwick7 likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sam Adams Boston Lager is all malt. I do not have figures but I suspect that Sam Adams (Boston Beer Co.) is selling a lot of this beer.

Cheers!

Bitterbill and dennis3951 like this.
  20. TH28

TH28 Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 Florida

I’ll take both depending on the occasion. High Life is such a great throwback to beer without the pretentiousness. It’s not a perfect, having a touch of grainy harshness that Banquet doesn’t have, but always tastes great in an old bar with some fried food.

Banquet has a bold, robust flavor compared to some of it’s counterparts, yet is so smooth. I’d prefer a Banquet any day over Bud Red, MGD, or PBR

I saw one of the responses on here referring to them as shitty beers. I think the best thing about these 2 beers is that they have distinct history and stories that go back for decades. Just because they aren’t dry hopped or barrel aged doesn’t make them shitty beers. They both fit certain occasions. Celebrate beer!

thrax, TrojanRB, Warwick7 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.