Checking beer on a plane flight/baggage

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by IamMe90, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IamMe90

IamMe90 Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2012 Wisconsin

Hi all, just had a question about the logistics of getting beer safely through checked luggage. I'm going to be leaving for NYC on thanksgiving day, so I figure most, if not all, liquor stores will be closed. But I really want a bruery autumn maple for tgivings dinner, so, I'm planning on putting a bottle in my checked luggage.

How do I go about doing this to make sure nothing breaks and it gets through safely? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. mrandypandy

mrandypandy Pundit (917) Mar 3, 2007 Georgia

My $0.02 on traveling with beer...

Some interesting domestic airline policy information:

TSA:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

Delta:
    http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/dangerous_goods/index.jsp

United:
    http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/fragile.aspx

Or if you don't want to read through them yourself:
    Take as much alcohol (under 24% ABV) in your CHECKED bags.
    Take 5 liters of alcohol (24% - 70% ABV) in your CHECKED bags.
    Alcohol above 70% ABV is prohibited (but god only knows why you'd need to check Bacardi 151 or Everclear/Golden Grain in your bags).

Also, interestingly enough, United's policy states: "Up to 3.4 oz. (100 ml) of an alcoholic beverage may be taken through the security checkpoint, provided it is less than 70 percent alcohol by volume, in a container that is 3.4 oz. or smaller, and is carried in a plastic zip-top bag."

These are all general rules, and I would check with your carrier beforehand. I've flown 50+ times with beer in my checked bags to include bottles, growlers and cans. A few broken bottles here and there, but those were a result of lazy/poor packing jobs on my part. In my experience:
    • Bubble-wrap is your friend. Use it liberally.
    • If you're worried about spillage, put your bottles/growlers in zip-loc or plastic bags.
    • Pack tightly. Even bubble-wrapped bottles can break if everything else is loosely packed.
    • If you plan on doing this frequently, consider purchasing a luggage scale to help avoid any overweight baggage fees. Most airlines charge extra for any bags over 50 lbs.
    • If you plan on bringing back large quantities of beer, consider traveling with an empty duffel bag in your suitcase. On the trip back you can put dirty clothes and such in the duffel, and fill the suitcase with beer.
    Cheers, and travel safely!

3. Scotty

Scotty Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2012 Maryland

+1 to the above post - I just got back from New England and flew with 1 suitcase full of beer and a giant cardboard moving box also filled with beer - about 30 bottles total (thanks Hill Farmstead & others!)

zip-loc bagged, bubble wrapped, and taped every single bottle and none broke.

I also informed the airline I was checking beer in my bags and they had me sign a release, but TSA didn't open any of my luggage.

You should be fine with just a bottle.

Psykhe likes this.
  4. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (1,053) Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota

• If you're worried about spillage, put your bottles/growlers in zip-loc or plastic bags.
    • Pack tightly. Even bubble-wrapped bottles can break if everything else is loosely packed.
    • If you plan on doing this frequently, consider purchasing a luggage scale to help avoid any overweight baggage fees. Most airlines charge extra for any bags over 50 lbs.
    • If you plan on bringing back large quantities of beer, consider traveling with an empty duffel bag in your suitcase. On the trip back you can put dirty clothes and such in the duffel, and fill the suitcase with beer.
    Cheers, and travel safely![/quote]

Word up/+1 to the piece in bold-face. Yesterday I put some bottles in a duffel with spare room, used bubble wrap but not ziplocs, and now have some clothing that smells like Curmudgeon's Better Half. You can also wrap bottles deep in the clothing - wrap a sweater around a bottle, for example.

The bottle I lost was reasonably well wrapped, but because the bag wasn't full, I think it shifted to the perimeter of the duffel and it was a matter of time before it came into contact with a hard surface at high enough speed to cause a break.

rrryanc likes this.
  5. crusian

crusian Pooh-Bah (1,989) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

i fly every week... take beer every week. When I came back from the bruery last month, I just checked 2 cases... taped the top, put newspaper in the bottom and shoved some down the sides... thats it. It is like shipping it. 95% of the time you wont have any issues... 5% of the time you get screwed no matter what you could do. dont worry about it. You can bubble wrap the hell out of it, but chances are really good TSA will dig through and not put it back the way you packed it. All my breaks have been because of BAD TSA completely unwrapping the beer and then just tossing it back in the bag, beer on beer.

As for the 3.4 oz of alcohol... every time I go internationally I take 12 mini bottles (that is the max a quart bag holds) through security and drink them on the plane to help sleep. TSA gives me funny looks sometimes, and have actually had one agent pull me aside and say it was a great idea, but that's it. Security has nothing to do with the airline, so the airline can not say what they allow through security. On a different note, however, it is against their rules to drink your own liquor on the planes.

cocoapuph likes this.
  6. SourinQns

SourinQns Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2012 New York
    Trader

If you're only bringing the one bottle you have nothing to worry about. Bubble wrap it, or, since you're coming to NYC, roll it up in a pair of pant and wrap a sweater around it. Put it in the middle of your bag and pack the rest of your stuff tightly around it. I do it all the time and have never had any problems or breakage.
    No need to tell TSA or anyone else - they're gonna be too busy w/ holiday traffic to care anyway.

7. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Never been to NYC I guess.
    You won't have any problem buying beer.

Hdredfern and utopiajane like this.
  8. Keyportnick

Keyportnick Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2012 Wisconsin

I just flew from AZ to MN with 4 22oz'ers in my luggage. I was in a hurry so I just wrapped them in a sweatshirt. (all in the same sweatshirt)Usually I am more cautious and wrap them in bags and bubble wrap. I also had 3 pint glasses just wrapped in paper. Everything survived with zero issues.

9. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2012 California

I just traveled earlier this month and traveled with quite a bit of beer. I had two wine bubble wrap packages which I used on bombers, and the rest I plastic wrapped the caps, bubble wrapped the bottles, and put clothes between them. I also put carboard around some that were close to the edge of the suitcase and socks between the necks. Probably overkill but it was my first time flying with beer (checked bag obv) and was nervous. All got home unscathed.

10. notjustgc

notjustgc Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 New Jersey

I always bring an empty suitcase, which then comes back home FULL of beer. Just mind your weight limit and use clothing or empty water bottles to fill all empty space so nothing moves around. That's the key. NOTHING CAN MOVE AROUND INSIDE THAT SUITCASE, or things will break.

11. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

I usually bring back a few bottles when I travel. My trick is to wrap the bottles in a ziploc bag, then shove them into the shoes I'm not wearing (12oz works best, unless you have clown feet). Also, if you can find a small box that fits in your luggage, that is nice in case of leaks. Lastly, tighten down the straps inside your luggage to prevent everything shifting around.

jmccullough108 likes this.
  12. Tiger33

Tiger33 Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 North Carolina
    Deactivated

I bring lots of bubble wrap and an extra backpack for my clothes that won't fit on the way home. Zip locks are a wonderful idea if you care about your clothes. Keeping things in place is key and watch your weight limit. You shouldn't have a problem with one but plan accordingly if you want to bring anything home with you. Just brought back 6 big boys from CCB and a couple small bottles. Weight was at 40 lbs. so I had a few pounds to spare.

13. tendermorsel

tendermorsel Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2006 Massachusetts

bubble wrap is for suckers... Clothes work fine.

14. VaTechHopHead

VaTechHopHead Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008

I fly quite frequently and I have packed beer away in my checked bag a lot and never had anything break. I always use clothes to wrap my bottles of beer, usually roll bottles up with jackets, long sleeve shirts, etc. Even though the cargo hold is pressurized it doesn't hurt to tape the bottles around the cap. If you're packing cans I have found out that putting them in a sock and putting that sock in another sock works extremely well since cans are pretty hard to break anyway. Keep in mind that the suitcase should close tightly and there should be very minimal movement to prohibit bottles moving around. Also watch the 50lbs weight limit or you'll get charged more to check your bag. Just my $0.02

ehammond1 likes this.
  15. msnow34

msnow34 Initiate (0) May 21, 2010 South Carolina

never used bubble wrap, the shoe trick works great fo 12oz bottles, ive also wrapped them in socks. As stated pack in the middle and make sure its solid.

ChanChan likes this.
  16. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 Virginia

When I returned to the east coast after visiting southern CA this past summer, I brought probably 15-20 bottles and numerous glasses back with me. I used the tactic of bringing an extra empty suitcase along with me inside another suitcase. I filled it with my beer and wrapped everything with my dirty laundry from the week (gross to some, but I did not give a fuck). Not a single break, but I was very worried. I don't think you can pack too carefully though. Spend some time and go over & above what you think is necessary...then you will most likely have no issues.

17. ChanChan

ChanChan Maven (1,341) Dec 12, 2009 California

Yes, I did not have bubble wrap on my last trip so I packed two 12OZ beers in my shoes, I also stuffed 2 bombers in socks! I placed all my beer in the middle of my bag and they all survived!!

18. mikennat

mikennat Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2010 Missouri

I have checked a 12 bottle shipper on southwest...no problem at all

19. crusian

crusian Pooh-Bah (1,989) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

[​IMG]

20. thirstygator

thirstygator Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2012 Florida

At work I spend a lot of time on the secure side of the baggage claim and I cannot emphasize enough the importance of making sure your bag is pretty much bomb proof. The bag guys care more about getting back to their phones to text or look at thechive than your bags. Expect your bag to be dropped (floor/taxiway/wherever), thrown, crushed or punted.

Ernest_Hooper and ufmj like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.