Infusion growler experiments

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Gunslinger711, Aug 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunslinger711

Gunslinger711 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2010 Indiana

Here's my situation (and forgive my ignorance if this is not correct forum for this): I have a local brewery that does growler fills but doesn't sell kegs.

I have some "mad scientist" ideas of variants I'd like to try out with these beers. I've done the Randall ( http://beerknews.com/what-the-hell-is-randall-the-enamel-animal/ ) route for kegged beer and the tea strainer/infusion method for bottle/can beer but I'm curious: is there a way I can infuse in the growler and not oxidate the hell out of my "experiment"?

I'm thinking it would likely include a growler carbonator cap ( https://www.homebrewing.org/38mm-Carbonation-Cap-for-Prowler_p_5645.html ) and a stainless growler ( https://www.austinhomebrew.com/Double-Wall-Stainless-Steel-Screw-Top-Growler-2-Liter_p_7454.html )as I don't trust carbonating in glass. And keeping everything cold of course.

Is this possible? If so would it be better to infuse my growler and let it go completely flat then re-carb?

Any constructive advice is appreciated.

2. Gunslinger711

3. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Personally I hold that a growler is for keeping beer just long enough to get home and drink. It is a very imperfect package. So if you want to hold it for longer than a few days, which can be done if it is unopened, you need to be prepared. Growlers are really intended for short term storage but they are often used for more if properly prepared.

If the beer has gone flat the CO2 has escaped. If CO2 gas can escape Oxygen gas can get in.

Anything you add to packaged beer can carry Oxygen. Liquids especially. The smallest amount of Oxygen is detrimental to beer.

Carbonation caps are a neat idea in theory, and better than nothing, but it is not going to make your growler a keg. You need to purge the Oxygen if possible.

Glass growlers can withstand over 3 vols not problem. That is over 11 psi at 38F.
    Keep it cold. Always!

Cheers

VikeMan and Gunslinger711 like this.
  4. Gunslinger711

So even if I had some sort of elaborate home counter pressure growler fill station, I'd still introduce oxygen via any liquid additives. The question is, how much oxygen is tolerable to introduce?

5. billandsuz

Pooh-Bah Society

Not an easy answer other than zero oxygen is tolerable.

Macro brewers have bottling lines that run into the millions of dollars. Multi millions in fact. They are trying to keep every last atom of oxygen out of the finished package. And those brewers are continually chasing a better mouse trap. So you see, you and I are hopeless in comparison.

A counter pressure filler is a start. And it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Starting with a growler is a disadvantage to begin with. Adding junk to you beer makes it more difficult still. Adding liquid, at around 8 ppm oxygen, is only going in the wrong direction.

So, not an easy answer.
    Other than you have to be prepared, hope for the best but not be surprised if the results are less than ideal.
    Truthfully growlers are not very good for the storage of beer. They just aren't. Good luck. You may get satisfactory results if you are very careful, start with great beer, purge the hell out of everything and the stars are aligned.

Cheers.

6. Gunslinger711

Thanks for all of your input.

Most of the additions I'm thinking of will be solids (fruits, spices, the occasional wood chips) so I'll try to minimize the time the growler is open and hope for the best.

7. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well it depends on how long you want to infuse and what type of beer. I have taken some generic high abv stouts I had in the back of my fridge and put them in a french press and added coffee to it, let it sit in the fridge for a few hours and then drank over the next hour. That style doesn't suffer in the short term from oxidation. If you were wanting to infuse an IPA over days, I would probably shy away from that, as the loss of carbonation and introduction of oxygen would definitely affect it.

Gunslinger711 likes this.
  8. Gunslinger711

Every infusion I'm thinking of now would probably be open growler, drop in infusion (likely in a cheese cloth bag), close growler, let sit for a certain amount of time, taste, remove infusion bag, drink within the the week.

9. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Are you talking about a empty growler or one that already has beer in it.

donspublic and Gunslinger711 like this.
  10. Gunslinger711

Typical situation would be a growler filled at a brewery, I bring it home and infuse there. Would it be better to put the infusion in first, then get the growler filled?

11. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If you went that route, you might want to look at the uKeg. My kids gave me one when they launched the kick starter. There were some issues with it at first, but they quickly resolved them. The ratings on Amazon are mainly bad because kickstarter participants were pissed they hadn't received theirs before Amazon was selling them. Honestly don't use it much because growler fills aren't the deal they used to be. But now that breweries in Houston can sell to go, and a lot don't can some of their beers, it might come in handy. So if you got a full growler, then added your adjuncts, this is a good vehicle as you can at least keep it under pressure, but you are still going to suffer some mild oxidation.

12. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2018 California

13. Gunslinger711

Yes! I keep circling back around to the uKeg/uKeg product adjacent option. Right now I'm just waiting on sale/ second hand market opportunity to buy one. Great suggestion.

14. JrGtr

JrGtr Pooh-Bah (1,689) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Do you know what type of growler fill the brewery has?
    is it a counterpressure fill or a hose from the tap style?
    Maybe you could explain what you want to do to the brewery as they fill, and add the additions as they are filling it. I'm guessing this would probably be the best way to avoid any possible issues beyond what happens already when filled.

Gunslinger711 and donspublic like this.
  15. Gunslinger711

Definitely a hose from the tap style growler fill. The only thing I worry about in "putting things in the growler before they're filled" scenario is the beer foaming like crazy when they fill it.

16. billandsuz

Pooh-Bah Society

That is a virtual guarantee. Another reason growlers are very imperfect. About the only thing that can done to help a little is if your growler is very cold before filling. Expect lots of foam and wasted beer. It's a horror show.
    Cheers

17. TheBeerery

TheBeerery Initiate (0) May 2, 2016 Minnesota
    Deactivated

I must have missed the point when our views aligned, but cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.