Fresh Hop 2019

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BBThunderbolt, Jul 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWer

NWer Pooh-Bah (2,145) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

F2F Citra/Amarillo released today at the pub, will be in distro by this weekend. Can't wait.

2. ppilot

ppilot Crusader (498) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

That's probably the version that was released almost a month ago. It was already losing its profile ten days after so I can't imagine it still being even decent after all that time. Fresh Hop beers have the shortest shelf life of anything out there.

66jzmstr likes this.
  3. weaverr

weaverr Zealot (705) Jun 10, 2008 California

I've still got a few cans of the first batch in my fridge. One of my favorites so far.

4. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My take as well. I think NW growlers still has keg going of the original FH pils (been on for several weeks now), and I can only imagine how it tastes. I would be afraid to order a glass (as I remember how good it was when first released).

I remember getting a glass at the Horsebrass a couple weeks back, and the beer had already deteriorated considerably.

#224 John_M, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  5. derftron

derftron Pooh-Bah (1,639) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

drinking the Breakside FH simcoe at Bier Stein. I think simcoe may not be my hop. Well made beer packed with flavor, and the nose is great. But something about the hop flavor and bitterness just isnt my thing.

As an aside, pretty much none of the local breweries have FH beers on tap, and every FH can at Bier Stein is sold out. while the FH season is young, seems like a lot of demand is not being met down here

kemoarps and afrokaze like this.
  6. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I agree it's odd. I was there for 3 FH seasons when I lived in Eugene, and there was plenty of FH beer on tap and even a number of FH tap take overs around town. Yet invariably, almost everything was from out of the area (mostly PDX, but a lot of Bend/Sun River stuff as well).

The events were popular and FH beer always seemed to sell well at the usual suspects (Growler Guys, 16 tons, Bier Stein, Tap and Growler, Market of Choice, etc.). So you would think the local breweries would be all over it.

Never seemed to be the case, and the local versions that were available (from Ninkasi and Oakshire for example), were nothing to write home about. I think it's been some years now since there's even been a fresh hop festival in Eugene (a la Oaks Park in PDX or the Hood River fest).

mistaya likes this.
  7. mistaya

mistaya Devotee (371) Aug 14, 2005 Oregon

Harvested about 5# of my own hops -- about 6 varieties. Made two fresh hops brews - waiting for fermentation.

Ninkasi's Centennial Fresh Hop the first one I've tried. Centennial a great go-to hop.

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  8. mistaya

mistaya Devotee (371) Aug 14, 2005 Oregon

I really miss the EUG fresh hop fest. Wish someone would pick it hop. Still remember Dave Wills at the old Barn site at the Fairgrounds coming in draped in hop bines and flowers.

kemoarps likes this.
  9. derftron

derftron Pooh-Bah (1,639) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Just drank a Mazama Green magic on tap in Eugene. Can’t even tell if this is a FH beer. Still tasty, but nothing special at all

Reidrover, kemoarps and BBThunderbolt like this.
  10. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Agreed, mostly. I'm not sure I'm willing to go as far as "tasty". Certainly drinkable, with no negatives, but.......

11. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Bend Brewing Fresh Trop (FH Tropic Pines) is out, and Boneyard’s Feels Like the Fresh Time is due tomorrow.

Reidrover, kemoarps, weaverr and 4 others like this.
  12. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Zealot (676) Nov 17, 2015 Washington

I wish I could try a fresh hop Boneyard IPA. That sounds like heaven.

Reidrover, kemoarps, weaverr and 4 others like this.
  13. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I was thinking the same thing.

14. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

FTFY.

kemoarps and sharpski like this.
  15. YadiBEER_Molina

YadiBEER_Molina Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2017 Oregon

Had a can of Matchless Easy Being Green FH Pale last night. It had all the aromas and flavors of a glass of water. I dumped it before getting halfway through it. There was just no point.

16. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm finishing off a pour of Ferment Fresh Hop Amarillo IPA at New Seasons Cedar Hills. To quote my post in another thread:

Good aroma, tasty fresh hop flavor through the middle, and a green and bitter finish. If you see it, try it.

Spikester, kemoarps, weaverr and 3 others like this.
  17. weaverr

This weekend's FH experiences....
    - Fresh Hop Fuzzy Muzzle from Lucky Labrador, a collaboration with Dove Lewis at their Dogtoberfest event. I actually liked this despite my distaste for hazy beers.
    - Fresh Hop Deadline Day from Away Days, maltier than I expected but still a good beer.
    - Fresh Hop CSA from Matchless, weirdly sweet and not in a malty way. Disliked this one. Maybe I should stop trying Matchless beers.

kemoarps, sharpski and vurt like this.
  18. johnniehops

johnniehops Crusader (411) Mar 25, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

FH Crikey is a banger, only reinforcing my hope that PDX lands more and more of Reuben's more limited brews.

Slamminson, kemoarps and vurt like this.
  19. ppilot

ppilot Crusader (498) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Couple of more:

West Coast Grocery - Willamettes with Love. This was one of top rated FH beers last year but I wasn't able try it. Its pretty damn good. Good FH on the nose and the finish.

Ecliptic Altair Pale - hadn't heard anything about this until I saw it at New Seasons. But I really enjoyed it. Pretty hoppy for a pale but the FH notes definitely came through.

Crikey FH - very subtle FH on this one as we did a comparison with the regular version and there wasn't that much of a difference. Not bad but would rank this middle of the pack for FH IPA's

20. weaverr

McMenamins Thundercone is pretty solid this year. Available probably all over the PNW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.