Past and present perspective on NEIPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Roybert, Oct 25, 2019.

Tags:
?

What is your relationship with NEIPAs?

1. NEIPAs never appealed to me

13 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. I loved my first NEIPA and still seek them out

70 vote(s)
    46.1%
  3. Most NEIPAs dont appeal to me, but I enjoy an exceptional example on occasion

36 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. I enjoyed NEIPAs in the past, but I've lost the desire to drink them

28 vote(s)
    18.4%
  5. I disliked NEIPAs in the past, but I've developed a taste for them

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roybert

Roybert Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2014 Texas

I'm interested to hear about other people's relationship with NEIPAs. I'm not looking to debate the merits of NEIPAs, just want to get some indication of where the phenomenon may be headed. I want to know how your tastes have evolved over time.

2. rozzom

rozzom Pooh-Bah (2,534) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I voted. But good luck with that^

Ranbot, AlcahueteJ, Zorro and 10 others like this.
  3. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Pooh-Bah (1,927) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

I started out not much liking them. They seemed like basically juice packs you'd give to kids. But as I've tried more, I've come around somewhat. Still not one of my favorite styles, but I can appreciate a good one now.

AlcahueteJ and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  4. bsp77

bsp77 Pooh-Bah (2,185) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

I wouldn't say I have lost my desire to drink them, but I have lost interest in seeking them out and think there are way too many of them.

5. hopsputin

hopsputin Grand Pooh-Bah (4,017) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

I enjoy them. I wouldn't say I actively seek them out, but will order one if I see some on tap - I always like to mix up what I'm drinking. The only NEIPA's I'd say I would actively "seek out" would be Tree House.

They're still quite prevalent at many of the breweries local here, so visits often include NEIPA there as well.

GetMeAnIPA, dennis3951 and Bitterbill like this.
  6. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

I voted option 4. Seems like a lot of breweries doing this style have issues maintaining consistency from batch to batch, which is a huge negative for me. Couple that with the number of breweries putting out very mediocre examples of the style and it's an easy pass for me.

7. montman

montman Maven (1,410) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

There is a site requirement we have a NEIPA related daily thread.

8. rozzom

rozzom Pooh-Bah (2,534) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Remember the old days of “[XYX WC IPA] better than Pliny?”. Simpler times

9. egrandfield

egrandfield Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2018 Massachusetts

Used to be my favorite style, and I still love Alchemist, HF, Trillium, but I’m getting tired of every bottle shop having tons of them and nothing else. When an NEIPA is sub par, it’s like drinking milky yeast water with sickly semi sweetness. No one wants to drink that nonsense. Would be exciting to see more breweries doing balanced IPAs like Two-Hearted and Pliny.

nodder, YamBag, Junior and 9 others like this.
  10. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

Never been a fan and every one that I've tried has always led to disappointment and regret, so I don't even bother with them anymore. I've stopped buying from a couple of breweries because they modified existing recipes and turned good WCIPAs into NEIPAs.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

So what's the deal with NEIPAs?
    All NEIPAs are hazy but not all hazy IPAs are NEIPAs? Just curious.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  12. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Sounds like the breweries in northern Virginia, I can't even get an IPA from my locals anymore cause they've all tried to make everything hazy and they end up all tasting the same cause there is something in them overpowering the hops.

13. jageraholic

jageraholic Maven (1,378) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I loved my first NEIPA and still seek them out

Just like any style, there are great ones and horrible ones. And just like other styles, I'll drink a great one any day of the week.

loudstain, Junior and BeerMeInStl like this.
  14. Peach63

Peach63 Pooh-Bah (2,118) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I just tried my first, War Horse Planet Hopping. Pretty good. When I searched it, I found it listed as an American IPA which has been retired. The can I have says it's a New England Style Session IPA. The can date is 7/15/19. Perhaps a new recipe for this beer.:thinking_face:

15. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Voted third option, but mentally substituted the word tolerate for enjoy. :wink:

16. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As band wagons go it's a decent ride but I won't be a frequent traveler.

surfcaster, nodder, pat61 and 4 others like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I used to be a big-er fan of 'NEIPA' beers in the past. Nowadays they just all seem to be the same to me. I am now more so seeking out 'regular' IPAs but I still enjoy drinking a 'NEIPA' from time to time. I do not think the 'NEIPA' style will ever totally go away but if breweries decided to decrease making these sorts of beers and produce more beers of other styles that would be A-OK with me.

Cheers!

18. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I absolutely loved them at first. I still love really well made ones. I've just become bored and my taste buds don't have alot of tolerance for drinking mediocre ones. I'm usually only good for 1-2 a week to avoid burnout of the style (which has happened alot in past years)...even the really good ones.

19. bubseymour

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In the first couple of years of the birth of the style, was there any bad brewers/ poorly made bad NEIPAs or did we just have a hype man-crush for citrus and hazy as better than WC or American IPAs?. Seemed like all the OG's are still very well respected though.

20. bubseymour

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Agree with you Jack. I tend to find more well made old school WC or American IPAs more "daily drinkable" than your super murky, DDH ,soft mouthfeel NEIPA. Those are ocassional treat beers for my tastes.

Junior and JackHorzempa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.