What if...?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tolar111

tolar111 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,060) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not only would we not have beer, but the world would have been doomed,
    according to the Discovery Channel

#81 tolar111, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Maven (1,475) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

If not tongue-in-cheek, that Discovery piece is certainly a bit hyperbolic. :rolling_eyes:
    The "world" wouldn't have been "doomed", just the 'world as we know it'. Certainly, the history of human civilization would have been seriously altered. But one could argue the World (in the broad sense) would be better off if humankind had never invented beer. It would suck for us, but the planet and almost every other living thing on it would be spared the consequences of our 'progress'.

3. Doma

Doma Initiate (0) May 19, 2019 California
    Deactivated

There would be no Celebration :astonished:

4. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

As a distributor in North Carolina I bought Green Flash directly from the brewery (around 2005). They would send a truck east and deliver to about five locales between Georgia and Maryland. I dealt directly with MH and it worked out very well for years. The Belgian styled ales never really took off and supply on the WCIPA and Double IPA was sporadic. And the Double Stout was great. Somewhere along the line "they" suffered a huge dose of hubris and everything changed. But that fresh WCIPA, Double IPA, and Double Stout are great memories and the whole story is sad indeed.

5. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (1,195) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

What if I had a million dollars and had the recipe for Orval?

chrismattlin likes this.
  6. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Pooh-Bah (1,663) May 10, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

What if prohibition had never happened? How would the American beerscape look today?

7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I imagine this what if is similar to the, "What if the barbarians didn't destroy the Roman Empire, setting technology back 1000 years?"

chrismattlin likes this.
  8. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Or if the Roman's hadn't destroyed the so-called "barbarian" civilizations...:wink:

chrismattlin and AlcahueteJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.