BA Beer Hall of Fame Challenge

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by williamjbauer, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Colorado

Just an excuse for enjoyment and to broaden my palate and beer knowledge. I'm working on drinking all the beers on the current list in the next 2 years. I've reviewed 50/100 and tried about 70/100 with 10 additional in the cellar or fridge.

Anyone else attempt this or think it is a worthwhile endeavor? Want to join in? If you have completed this journey any comments on your experience. I'm sure some beer gurus have done this even without setting out to do so.

It won't break my heart if I miss a few on the list, but I do think the deliberate focus of my beer quest has been a pretty positive experience.

2. tubbnik

tubbnik Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2006 Pennsylvania

The beers of fame list is the only one you have any shot of actually completing.

3. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

I think it's a pretty fun endeavor... some people think it's silly, but I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to try the top 100 rated beers in the world.

MagillaGriller likes this.
  4. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

You can't really complete it, because it changes constantly. Even if you hit 100, you'd have a new rarity on there by next week.

I've probably had 90% of the current list, but well over 100 beers that have been on there at one point or another. I've certainly never set a goal of completing the Top 100, but most are there for a reason and worth trying. If you trade, attend festivals/tastings, and keep your eyes open, you'll inevitably end up in the same place without any abnormal effort.

As for the last few, I just don't really worry about it. I may stumble across D.O.S. or Apple Brandy Huna one day, but if I don't try them, I'll live.

5. socon67

socon67 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,611) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

The Beers of Fame generally doesn't change too much. Some of the seasonal beers may move up or down but with the 1,000 minimum reviews its usually the same group. Now the Top 100 Popular List..... that's near impossible to tick.

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

My bad - I swear this thread said Popular List when I read it.

Yes, the Beers of Fame isn't that difficult at all, particularly if you trade. Many are widely distributed, and those that aren't are readily available as extras in a trade if you put them on your wants list.

7. Chris_Cali_2o9

Chris_Cali_2o9 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2012

I've only had 5 of the 100... i better get crackin.

mcrago and MagillaGriller like this.
  8. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Ive had like 92 or 95 of the Beers of Fame. It took me the better part of 2 years and moving to NC to get that far. Ill sit at 99 until I finally get off my lazy trading ass and trade for a Blind Pig.

9. socon67

Pooh-Bah Society

Being in the NYC area it isn't too difficult. A trip to Chicago this summer and a road trip to Philly the year before took care of some of the really crazy ones. I've got 48 more but no rush. Looking at what I have left I think the toughest one is Surly Furious. I've got a bottle of Westy and with access to Russian River stuff in Philly I'm in decent shape.

dar482 likes this.
  10. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2012

I'm trying to drink all the beer.

11. SubpoenaDeuces

SubpoenaDeuces Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2011 California

The top 100 beers of fame you can knock out by a few trips to the grocery store and a couple trades with some mouthbreathing friends from a couple different states, then you try Two Hearted and realize that Sculpin presents comparable quotients of legitness.

If you want to merk the top 100 beers - popular: pepper your angus. I am at 98/100 thanks to stupid Bodhi and VC Speedway, soon.

12. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2010 Washington

I've had 100/100 and thought it was a fun adventure. I tried some that I knew I wouldn't like (see: unibroue) and some I was really surprised by (see: Founder's Impy Stout). It was fun, and took the better half of the year due to seasonal releases and my preference to try them fresh.

I think it's a solid list and a relatively decent spectrum of beers available to the US market.

13. celfan

celfan Savant (1,048) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Trader

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  14. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

Current beer of fame list, I got through about 93 or 94 of them.

The "Popular" list, however, I only tried 59 out of 100. These damn lists keep changing, so I can never get to all of them.

15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

I could live off the Beers of Fame. Seriously.

mcrago likes this.
  16. gtermi

gtermi Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2010 Texas

I wanna say I'm at 83 of 100 tried. There are a few I can't get around me which sucks cause I'd like to finish it.

17. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

List or no list, Blind Pig is awesome and worth getting.
    Order it from Gary's

18. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Itll happen eventually. Right now, I need to chill out on trading. Itll be the last one I get, considering that its the only one not distributed to NC or OH.

19. AgentZero

AgentZero Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009 Illinois

I've knocked off the top 100 a couple times now, along with Rejects. It was a lot of fun, and I've still got the screen shot from the first time I did it. Definitely gives you something to shoot for!

20. socon67

Pooh-Bah Society

All of the ones I've tried so far have been bottles I've purchased at a store or had on tap somewhere. No trades or online purchases. The only wrinkle will be the bottle of Westy XII which was a vendor gift, as of yet not opened. That's why Philly has been a big help since it saved a flight to Cali.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.