Why can’t we have Cultivator anymore, Troegs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by guinness77, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

They did, I was not a fan and that's putting it nicely.

anfield86 likes this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have never consumed the Von Trapp Bock so I have no input here from a comparison perspective. The Longshot Bock beer was excellent IMO.
    There was an excellent article written by Chris Colby in BYO on this topic but I think you need to subscribe to BYO to read it.

Cheers!

anfield86 likes this.
  3. jeebeel

jeebeel Zealot (655) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

And, to make all matters bockbier worse, the first beer on that list is also mislabeled. Always has been.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I think it was 2009? I think it was in that mix pack along with the Pliny the Elder double IPA clone.

I'm not even going to look and assume it's Dead Guy.

5. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

Tell us... What is the distinct difference between a Heller Bock and a Pale Doppelbock?

According to the World Beer Cup pale Doppelbocks don't exist. But Brauhaus Riegele clearly makes one.

According to BJCP the difference is a Maibock goes from 6.3-7.4. Doppelbocks are 7+.
    The only difference that I see is the Maibock has a moderate strong malt flavor while the Doppelbock has a strong malt flavor and the Maibock is allowed a noticeable hop flavor but it's not required...

So how do I distinctly tell whether a beer has a strong or moderate strong malt flavor?

I will say the World Beer Cup style guideline allows Heller Bock's to be a higher ABV than they have for Doppelbocks.

Specifically when I had Andygator I would in no way call it a Doppelbock. It seemed to me to be a straight up Heller Bock. It did not seem to taste strong enough to be called a Doppelbock. I think that breweries call beers Doppelbocks when they're more traditional Bock's because they sell better because people associate Doppelbock with higher abv.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  6. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Distinct differences between similar "styles" don't really exist, since beers were not designed to fit into categories. They were brewed with available resources. People place them them in style buckets because it fills their diapers with warmth and comfort.

dennis3951 likes this.
  7. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Pooh-Bah (2,153) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

8. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  9. keithmurray

keithmurray Pooh-Bah (2,943) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

That's a definite disgrace...

10. drh88

drh88 Pundit (786) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania

Drove up to Troegs today and picked up a case. $37.49. Tastes great, as it always has.

11. bigdeuce

bigdeuce Savant (1,061) May 24, 2005 Pennsylvania

I’ll buy 6 cases of Cultivator if Troegs cans/bottles it this winter, right away! It’s my favorite beer. It is a true German Maibock and I wish more brewers would make the style a staple. I like Dead Guy but it’s a bit too hoppy for me.

oneraindog and guinness77 like this.
  12. bigdeuce

bigdeuce Savant (1,061) May 24, 2005 Pennsylvania

Rogue is the only brewery I can find in Western PA that brews year round Maibock.

13. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Any Trader Joes nearby? They have a year-round Heller Bock brewed for them by Gordon Biersch that's pretty good to-style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.